New Site in Tacoma Area

I have no clue what kind of degree they will offer. I'm also not sure how the Obama administration plans to implement this. Will it be an option for all vets, or only those who have been discharged recently, or who have a disability like those who qualify for civil service positions and are awarded more points? I guess we'll have to wait & see.

Yes, MEDEX is running the show, but they are doing this in conjunction with a federal push to have more vets become PA's. To what extent this program will have on policies or admissions is yet to be determined. Here's the quote from the MEDEX site:

"MEDEX Northwest is actively considering starting a new satellite training site in conjunction with the University of Washington-Tacoma campus. This training site will have a focus on the recruitment of military veterans, as part of the Obama administration's commitment to increase opportunities for veterans to become PA's.

The anticipated start date of our Tacoma satellite will be the summer of 2013 or 2014."

This is all we know so far. Current students etc. may have heard more on the topic, though.

obama has nothing to do with it, its UW running the show on how their program operates. all this means is that the money is there for UW to use, and it sounds like they want to open a new campus.

The money came from the Feds. MEDEX applied for a grant and it was awarded. As of right now it will be a BCHS program. The school really does not support the mandatory Masters and is hoping to get as many vets through before the new guidelines go into affect. One last push before the door gets shut.

There are 5 out of 17 Vets in the anchorage class. Myself and 4 others. I do agree with this push to accept more military vets.

I wonder if it would be a "Vets only" campus! Even if it was not it would still help vets because that would be 25 -30% more slots available for Vets.

I plan to do the Academic Masters online through MEDEX and get a couple of years experience under my belt. I would love to teach vets and teach for MEDEX.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope this is a vet oriented BS degree, even more so than the regular ones already being conducted. Being a vet, yet having a somewhat limited HCE hour number, I'd love to see more slots where I have a chance to matriculate into this great program. I really have my eyes, and heart, set on attending either here or at USC and for me the sooner the better.

Anyways, thanks for the update!

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how MEDEX treats work as a medical scribe in the ED? I know they are big on "direct patient contact," however, I feel like following around a MD/DO/PA and listening to how they interview patients, obtain histories, what they order for labs/imaging/testing, etc would be more beneficial than what I do as an ED tech. While I do feel that my direct interaction with patients is extremely helpful, I feel that watching Physicians and PAs in action in much more conducive to becoming a strong PA in the future than drawing blood, performing EKGs, etc.

Am I alone on this?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how MEDEX treats work as a medical scribe in the ED? I know they are big on "direct patient contact," however, I feel like following around a MD/DO/PA and listening to how they interview patients, obtain histories, what they order for labs/imaging/testing, etc would be more beneficial than what I do as an ED tech. While I do feel that my direct interaction with patients is extremely helpful, I feel that watching Physicians and PAs in action in much more conducive to becoming a strong PA in the future than drawing blood, performing EKGs, etc.

Am I alone on this?

Hi Friction,

It is my understanding that although you can use your hours as a scribe to strengthen your application, it does not qualify as HCE. You might be able to refer to those hours as more of a shadowing experience. I agree that the exposure you receive as a scribe is highly valuable, but your ED tech hours are the ones that will qualify for HCE. Just make sure you get those 4000 hours as an ED tech, and get the ball rolling :)

Good luck!

Sara

Hi Friction,

It is my understanding that although you can use your hours as a scribe to strengthen your application, it does not qualify as HCE. You might be able to refer to those hours as more of a shadowing experience. I agree that the exposure you receive as a scribe is highly valuable, but your ED tech hours are the ones that will qualify for HCE. Just make sure you get those 4000 hours as an ED tech, and get the ball rolling :)

Good luck!

Sara

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the Tacoma site:

It will be a Bachelors site in addition to the Yakima & Anchorage sites, so applicants will still have to choose their primary & secondary site options based on their degree choice - Tacoma, Yakima, & Anchorage for Bachelors; & Seattle & Spokane for Masters. It will not be limited to vets & is still in the process of being set up. The desire is to have it available as a Bachelors site choice for this next application cycle, & since final approval may happen after the application cycle has started, the Tacoma option may have a stipulation such as "if available" in case it won't end up being a valid option for that cycle.

• 1 month later...

The online app is now up & allows for you to choose between Yakima & Anchorage as before, but there is a box to check that reads "if the Tacoma site is available, would you be interested in going there?", or something to that effect. Masters applicants still have the same choices, Seattle & Spokane.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived