Concealed Carry in the Workplace

The fact that you think there is a way to look at these statistics is laughable. Please start researching "gun control vs homicides" and you will find that it is conclusive there is no good way to find out if strict gun laws increase/decrease homicides. There are too many factors that skew the evidence such as suicide deaths( ~60-70% of all gun related deaths are by suicide) https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/09/upshot/gun-deaths-are-mostly-suicides.html and socioeconomic status.  

"For the record, I am not anti-gun. I just want to see a more methodical and empirical approach to these things." Sounds likes you have not done your research and found out this is not possible. You cannot relate this topic to EBM as the factors are not comparable.  

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/10/gun-laws-deaths-and-crimes/

An August 2013 CDC report looked at rates for gun homicides in the 50 most populous metropolitan areas. It found that for 2009-2010, the top gun murder rate areas were, in order: New Orleans, Memphis, Detroit, Birmingham, St. Louis, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Philadelphia and Chicago.

Six of those cities are in states with poor scores for their gun laws, while the other four get a “C” or better. Chicago, which placed last in the top 10, had a ban on handguns at the time. There’s no discernible pattern among those cities, nor clear or convincing evidence in these statistics that shows more gun laws lead to more or less gun crime.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would prefer this to not be a simple political question or argument.

I would like a good empirical examination of the use of concealed carry of firearms in clinics and hospitals and would like to know if the increased prevalence of them would make things safer or more dangerous.  What is the relative risk reduction? What about the NNT? How many providers and staff would have to be carrying to definitively show a significant risk reduction? What about a study that examined the relative risk reduction of concealed carry versus open carry in healthcare environments?

Let's take the anecdotes, ideology, and the ideas we know deep down in our gut to be true out of the equation.

Side note, when doing the whole soldier thing, it is not uncommon for me to practice with a M9 on my chest and a M4 on my back. I wonder how my patients would react to that in my civilian job.

On 8/3/2017 at 11:00 PM, boli said:

that's fantastic, I wish more places followed this model

full didclosure: ex military, gun owner. I would consider concealed carry myself, but only because of the ridiculous level of proliferation of guns in our society, including the mentally ill etc. The only thing worse than concealed carry is open carry which is simply an antisocial act. Guns beget the need for more guns and so on. By the same token, retailing assault weapons to all comers neccesitates militarized police with APCs etc. Not a good situation imo.

7 hours ago, roger777 said:

.... retailing assault weapons to all comers neccesitates militarized police with APCs etc....

By assault weapon, you mean ones that "look" scary but still require an individual trigger pull to fire a round?

How is a scary looking semi-automatic weapon any more dangerous than a "regular" looking semi-automatic weapon?  How does me having a .223 caliber semi-automatic weapon require my local PD to have an armored personnel carrier?

Pretty sure my ancient Winchester 1873 repeating rifle has more punch than that scary looking "assault rifle".

7 hours ago, roger777 said:

full didclosure: ex military, gun owner. I would consider concealed carry myself, but only because of the ridiculous level of proliferation of guns in our society, including the mentally ill etc. The only thing worse than concealed carry is open carry which is simply an antisocial act. Guns beget the need for more guns and so on. By the same token, retailing assault weapons to all comers neccesitates militarized police with APCs etc. Not a good situation imo.

Thank you for your service, but you need to use your words properly as I hope you, as ex military, know the difference between a assault rifle and a semi-automatic rifle. No one ever talks about shotguns with high capacity...look up the UTS-15, Holds 12+1 2 3/4" 12-gauge ammo and 14+1 3" ammo that feeds from two different barrels. Or how about the Kel-Tech KSG shotgun, Holds 7+7+1? Where does it stop? You cannot pick and choose based on "how scary they look" or the name AR-15 "That most people think stands for assault rifle" which it does NOT. AR stands for ArmaLite Rifle (please google it folks). 

Archived