Getting depressed after reading acceptance threads

Hey everyone I know I'm kinda new here so I've been poking around. In the past few months I've decided that PA school was a better option for me over DO school. I've started to look at the acceptance threads,and noticed that while I have a decent GPA (3.36 sci 3.38 overall) it's not going to make the cut. I had some issues in BIO I which I did retake and got an A. I was planning on taking A&P I in the fall,but I'm not sure even an A in that would make much of a difference. My trend as an undergrad was upward from the C including a B+ in Organic lecture/A- lab,and a A- in Gen Chem 2.

I have limited HCE which is just 100+ hours of volunteering at local hospitals. Maybe I'm being too down at the moment,but I have little confidence of where I stand. Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers

Howie

Ps. My SCI gpa was calculated with both the original,and retake of BIO 1 it also includes A-'s from both semesters of Physics which I realize isn't a pre-req.

Honestly, the GPA is nothing to fret about. The thing you need to worry (not sure if worry is even the right word) about most is your HCE. Volunteer, find a job where you get HCE, whatever---increase your HCE and your GPA will be fine. I got in with a 3.2, granted I had a severe upward trend after my 1.4 freshman year---but it's definitely doable. A 3.38 is really nothing to worry about with the right HCE. Good luck.

If you want PA you can simply take some upper science (or even grad) part time and get As while, at the same time working as an MA, CRNA, or EMT. Your GPA isn't awful, the upward trend will help, and HCE can be fixed after two years of full time work. Try not to let the perfectionists on the board get you down... mistakes are just a way to learn. If you can show the adcoms that you learned you will be fine.

I have to ask though... why not DO school? They count retaken classes, you make more money, you get more respect from average joe ("physician's assistant huh? whut, like yous helps 'em give people shots or sumpin?"), etc. My general advice (and there are exceptions) is: If you will be under 30 by the time you have pre-reqs done you should just go DO.

I know this but reading it just made me feel severely underqualified. I'm currently volunteering at a hospital as well as starting to look for a PA to shadow. I wish PA schools would only count the best attempt at a class since if you replace the C with an A my sci gpa suddenly shoots up to a 3.5!

Cheers

Howie

• Administrator

Howie, if CASPA only counted the most recent effort, it wouldn't change things much, since a LOT of people have a C in a science class they retook for an A. The advice you've been given is sound. I'm in, second year applying, with a 3.40 cumulative undergrad, although my science GPA was better and I have 2,000 hours as an EMT. Don't lose hope--there are people with .80 lower GPAs who are going to try and come back from THAT hole...

I personally am refusing to calculate my GPA on general principle. If I do I will probably get depressed. I do know that my Sci GPA is about 2.7. But hey it was only that one class that one time almost 10 years ago... They look at improvement right?

Chin up. HCE and a few more classes with good grades and you will be fine :-)

Again, your GPA is not an issue. If you combine it with good, quality HCE, you are a great candidate. If you want to re-take classes, go for it, but it's not needed.

I never took A&P the first time around so I figure it's a good idea to do so. Thanks guys sorry to be a downer just had a long day then was reading this which was a bad combo.

Cheers

Howie

If you want PA you can simply take some upper science (or even grad) part time and get As while, at the same time working as an MA, CRNA, or EMT. Your GPA isn't awful, the upward trend will help, and HCE can be fixed after two years of full time work. Try not to let the perfectionists on the board get you down... mistakes are just a way to learn. If you can show the adcoms that you learned you will be fine.

I have to ask though... why not DO school? They count retaken classes, you make more money, you get more respect from average joe ("physician's assistant huh? whut, like yous helps 'em give people shots or sumpin?"), etc. My general advice (and there are exceptions) is: If you will be under 30 by the time you have pre-reqs done you should just go DO.

I was just thinking about the DO school route as well. Problem is I'm 26 right now I lost a few years due to life not being very kind to me. Finally getting things in order including taking things like A&P that I didn't do as an undergrad. The problem with Do school is that I would be 36 after finishing my residency most likely which is something to consider. That BIO 1 grade was due to a professor that tested us on things that weren't in our textbook nor were in her notes the class average was in the 50's yet even those who scored in the 70's got C's.

Cheers

Howie

I was just thinking about the DO school route as well. Problem is I'm 26 right now I lost a few years due to life not being very kind to me. Finally getting things in order including taking things like A&P that I didn't do as an undergrad. The problem with Do school is that I would be 36 after finishing my residency most likely which is something to consider. That BIO 1 grade was due to a professor that tested us on things that weren't in our textbook nor were in her notes the class average was in the 50's yet even those who scored in the 70's got C's.

Cheers

Howie

I wouldn't fret about age. Age is a state of mind. If you became a DO at 36, and you live to be 80, you can work at least for the next 40 years non stop. So-- what's the rush? :)

Your GPA is fine and competitive IMO. Its the HCE that will hold you back. Concentrate on getting about 900 more hours, that's the easy part. Retaking classes sucks! You'll be fine, it does suck waiting for interviews, I will agree!! And your age is nothing, you are YOUNG! Im 34 and going to school, but like Marilynn1122 said, and I agree, I'll probably be working for another 30+ years, that's a long time to not be doing what you love to do!!

Have you taken the MCAT yet? Your GPA seems high enough to get you into a DO school provided your MCAT is strong. You should know that many PA schools have as stringent an outlook on GPA as med schools. PA school is not meant to be a 'drop down' from med school. That being said, I can understand you still wanting to work in medicine no matter what, but I think you need to make sure you go towards a certain path for the right reasons.

36 is not old. Many great Doctors finish at that age.

Wow... your Gpa is way higher than mine and I am in a PA program right now. My issue was that I had taken so many units that no matter how good I did, it would bearly make a difference on my GPA. Just get more hands on experience. It makes a big difference. Try getting a job in a hosp while u also volunteer/shadow, even if it is in the admitting dept. It will help you get a better idea of stuff.

You may be in better shape for admittance than you think. Your GPA is good enough for pretty much all PA programs. You will more than likely need more HCE but that can be obtained easily. And you probably will only need about ~1000 hours. You have to remember that many programs have strayed from Dr. Stead's original program design. Gone are many programs that put HCE equal to or even above GPA. Nowadays, GPA reigns supreme (this is a generalization but for the most part, it's true). So do well in your A&P classes and get some HCE and you will be golden.

I can also relate to the DO vs PA thing. The only PA program I am applying to looks at retakes and uses that grade as opposed to averaging them. It is a huge help to me. I just finished my CASPA and right now my sGPA is 1.8 and my cGPA is 2.5. With retakes, and using the GPA calculation method by the PA school I applied to AND DO schools, I have a 3.75 sGPA and 3.5 cGPA. Plus I took the MCAT and scored a 27. Add in my 8,000+ hours of HCE as a paramedic and I would probably have a better shot of getting into DO school than PA. But I like the PA profession and am happy pursuing it. My reason for PA and not DO is I don't want to spend the next four years in medical school and three to seven years in residency. I just don't. It isn't complicated. I also don't need to be the top dog or anything of that nature. My opinion on life is work to live, don't live to work. But it helps to have a career you enjoy and get fulfillment from. Some people say if you're under 30 or 35, go to medical school. My thought is go do what you think will make you happiest. And remember that nothing says you can't ever change your mind and go back to medical school.

Good luck and keep us updated.

DU

Dude I have been a pre-pa on this board for 3 years---pre-pa students that were posting when I was are practicing now lol There are pre-pa students I was giving advice to that are now in a program......wanna talk frustrating?!?!

When you start to focus on you and not everyone else you begin to accept the frustration and it turns into motivation.

My reason for PA and not DO is I don't want to spend the next four years in medical school and three to seven years in residency. I just don't. It isn't complicated. I also don't need to be the top dog or anything of that nature. My opinion on life is work to live, don't live to work. But it helps to have a career you enjoy and get fulfillment from. Some people say if you're under 30 or 35, go to medical school. My thought is go do what you think will make you happiest. And remember that nothing says you can't ever change your mind and go back to medical school.

Very well said! I've been sitting here for a few minutes trying to think of something to add but you've pretty much said it all!

Dude I have been a pre-pa on this board for 3 years---pre-pa students that were posting when I was are practicing now lol There are pre-pa students I was giving advice to that are now in a program......wanna talk frustrating?!?!

When you start to focus on you and not everyone else you begin to accept the frustration and it turns into motivation.

You're becoming the EMEDPA/Lesh of prepa's! Your time will come soon enough

It isn't complicated. I also don't need to be the top dog or anything of that nature. My opinion on life is work to live, don't live to work. But it helps to have a career you enjoy and get fulfillment from. Some people say if you're under 30 or 35, go to medical school. My thought is go do what you think will make you happiest.

I can relate. I've always enjoyed supporting others. So nothing made me happier than the thought of supporting Doctors.

Wait, he's a good candidate for do school? Good thing I didn't tell you guys I got into pa school @ 20 yrs old with a 3.86.. PAs for life! \nn/, and nice sps too I guess

You may have gotten a few people saying go to Med School but as long as you're happy, that is what matters. Enjoy it!

Just a quick thought that helped me make my decision of PA as opposed to MD/DO.

Analyze the Opportunity Cost. It is the most objective way to evaluate which route is most appropriate for YOU.

Personally, I have way too many things I like to do that I just don't want to put on the back burner for the better part of a decade. I want to spend time with my family, friends, hunt, fish, camp, ride my motorcycle, go quad riding, boat, read non-text books, teach paramedic class, and run EMS calls at my volly service.

I want to sit in the bed of my truck or the cab of my Wrangler with the top down in the middle of an open field on a clear Autumn night and just stare at the star-filled sky, not worrying about the USMLE/COMLEX or how I am going to pay down $300k in student loans.

I am single, poor, and hate my current job. But I love my life and my free-time. For me, choosing the PA route just works.

DXU

Wait, he's a good candidate for do school? Good thing I didn't tell you guys I got into pa school @ 20 yrs old with a 3.86.. PAs for life! \nn/, and nice sps too I guess

You may have gotten a few people saying go to Med School but as long as you're happy, that is what matters. Enjoy it!

Just a quick thought that helped me make my decision of PA as opposed to MD/DO.

Analyze the Opportunity Cost. It is the most objective way to evaluate which route is most appropriate for YOU.

Personally, I have way too many things I like to do that I just don't want to put on the back burner for the better part of a decade. I want to spend time with my family, friends, hunt, fish, camp, ride my motorcycle, go quad riding, boat, read non-text books, teach paramedic class, and run EMS calls at my volly service.

I want to sit in the bed of my truck or the cab of my Wrangler with the top down in the middle of an open field on a clear Autumn night and just stare at the star-filled sky, not worrying about the USMLE/COMLEX or how I am going to pay down $300k in student loans.

I am single, poor, and hate my current job. But I love my life and my free-time. For me, choosing the PA route just works.

DXU

Let's hear it for all of us iconoclastic rabble-rousers who "should have gone to medical school!" Ye-haw!

Archived