A minute of your time...

Dear Colleague:

I respectfully ask for a few minutes of your time to consider my candidacy for Secretary-Treasurer of the AAPA. As a combat veteran, and as an individual with over ten years of experience working in finance, I believe I bring a unique and needed perspective to the position. I have the experience of leading during challenging circumstances where hard decisions are made on a daily basis as you must go into dangerous situations where your team’s lives are at stake knowing you will lead. I have lead. I also have the professional expertise to help strengthen the financial position of the AAPA as we begin a new chapter in our profession’s history. With the passage of Optimal Team Practice by the AAPA House of Delegates, recent lobbying efforts by the NCCPA at the state level, and the current legislative debates on Capitol Hill to alter the Affordable Care Act, it is vital to move forward with a clear vision and a will to make the decisions necessary to carry the profession to new heights.

In my former professional life, I had experience in banking and finance, both as a regional director and financial advisor responsible for several hundred million dollars in client assets which allows me to bring a unique perspective to the Treasurer portion of the position not found by many clinically practicing PAs. With the passage of Optimal Team Practice, it is imperative that the financial position of the AAPA is strengthened over the coming years as I see us helping state chapters pass legislation where and when there is a special need. We must also be ready to aid states in ameliorating the backlash some may face in light of OTP legislation. I will work tirelessly to support any state ready to lobby for OTP legislation, in the same vein I will support any state facing burdensome regulations and restrictions proposed by state medical boards in a reactionary manner to OTP’s passage.

In regards to recent lobbying by the NCCPA at the state level to the detriment of proposed legislation advantageous to the PA profession; I believe unequivocally that it must stop, and that the AAPA should tirelessly oppose any lobbying efforts to require NCCPA recertification as a condition of medical licensure. However, lately to some extent, the NCCPA has acknowledged the concerns voiced by PAs with their announcement to reevaluate the current recertification model of high stakes testing. Allowing space for them to move forward with their efforts in good faith, for a limited amount of time, is the best use of AAPA resources; while continuing to engage in dialogue that focuses on the need for evidence based research for a non-high stakes recertification model appropriate to the current healthcare environment.

Finally, in regards to the current environment in healthcare; we are at a unique juncture where many facets of healthcare are in flux. This presents a unique opportunity to radically alter the paradigms we have functioned under in the past as a profession. One issue that I believe cannot be ignored for much longer is the title of the profession; while the conversation has happened many times in the past, times have changed. I would simply ask you to consider a question I believe many legislators will ask as we move forward with OTP. “If you no longer are legislatively tied to a physician, are you still an assistant?” The common sense answer is that in some states PAs will be asked to consider new titles. I think this is an issue we need to get out in front of instead of our hands being forced by circumstances.

I have sat as a member of the board for the past year and it has been an honor to serve you and to work alongside all of our dedicated leaders. We have made great strides to move the profession forward, but there is much more we need to do in order to position PAs for continued success in the future. I want to help ensure that positive, forward movement continues. Each of the above challenges facing our profession is going to take time and significant financial resources to overcome. The experience and expertise I can offer in service to you as the Secretary-Treasurer will be an asset in facing these challenges head on. Thank you for your time and consideration of my candidacy.

Please vote and please consider my experience and abilities. You deserve the best representation you can have. 

Respectfully, 

Joe

You can contact me at: https://www.josephsutherland.org/

Candidate Questions are at: https://www.aapa.org/about/aapa-governance-leadership/board-of-directors/aapa-general-elections/joseph-sutherland/#tabs-4-candidate-questions

Vote at: https://eballot4.votenet.com/aapa/login.cfm

I am happy to answer any other questions you may have.

22 hours ago, CorpsmanUP said:

Thanks! 

What do people think needs to be a focus of the AAPA over the next 1-5 years?

You have my support. The AAPA needs to continued push forward on branding. I think the name change needs to happen sooner than later and we don't time to waste. I agree with you, with the passing of OTP our name is confusing to the lawmaker if not already. Changing to just "PA" and recognize "assistant" is not the way to go is a good start for the AAPA.  However, I don't think Physician Associate is a good name either. I suggest we need to rethink about the word "physician" and possibly get rid of it. I think medical practitioner is a good name. Simple, self-explanatory. "Hi I am a medical practitioner, and I practice medicine." It can't get any easier than this. The AMA might even support it since we are not trying to be the "physician" anymore :)

4 hours ago, PACali said:

You have my support. The AAPA needs to continued push forward on branding. I think the name change needs to happen sooner than later and we don't time to waste. I agree with you, with the passing of OTP our name is confusing to the lawmaker if not already. Changing to just "PA" and recognize "assistant" is not the way to go is a good start for the AAPA.  However, I don't think Physician Associate is a good name either. I suggest we need to rethink about the word "physician" and possibly get rid of it. I think medical practitioner is a good name. Simple, self-explanatory. "Hi I am a medical practitioner, and I practice medicine." It can't get any easier than this. The AMA might even support it since we are not trying to be the "physician" anymore :)

I am starting to rethink Physician Associate as well. Medical Practitioner does sound good, and the acronym MP sounds good as well. Really, its got a nice ring to it.

On 6/30/2017 at 5:39 PM, CorpsmanUP said:

Thanks! 

What do people think needs to be a focus of the AAPA over the next 1-5 years?

You sound like a great man for the job.

The biggest things as you mentioned are moving forward with OTP legislation and the title change. The title change will really have to be spearheaded by the AAPA, there's just no way around it. It's a top-down thing.

My concern is with certain states already moving OTP legislation forward that we may have a disjointed effort very soon. I already know of one state where the medical boards response is " We support this, but you are no longer assistants. What should we call you?"

36 minutes ago, CorpsmanUP said:

My concern is with certain states already moving OTP legislation forward that we may have a disjointed effort very soon. I already know of one state where the medical boards response is " We support this, but you are no longer assistants. What should we call you?"

Which state is that? I hope to stay on top of OTP progression. 

Wellness, sent you a PM.

I think at this point OTP and the Name change are going to be intertwined very quickly, and the tired rebuttal "we cant risk opening our practice laws..." has lost its validity. My goal is to forward some of the momentum from the past year to this movement and to really look at long term career laddering of the profession. With the DMSc debate, MD programs are shortening program length, APPAP looking at starting a separate credentialing body for residencies, changes in the ACA. I think we really need to look at a holistic vision for the profession and where we want to be in ten years. Then start taking concrete steps at the state and national level to move towards that end point.

59 minutes ago, CorpsmanUP said:

Wellness, sent you a PM.

I think at this point OTP and the Name change are going to be intertwined very quickly, and the tired rebuttal "we cant risk opening our practice laws..." has lost its validity. My goal is to forward some of the momentum from the past year to this movement and to really look at long term career laddering of the profession. With the DMSc debate, MD programs are shortening program length, APPAP looking at starting a separate credentialing body for residencies, changes in the ACA. I think we really need to look at a holistic vision for the profession and where we want to be in ten years. Then start taking concrete steps at the state and national level to move towards that end point.

Depends on what you mean by "opening our practice laws." Recently in Texas TAPA endorsed and supported letting anesthesia assistant be licensed through our practice act. It was wrong wrong wrong and the groundswell of push-back and the grass roots effort to stop it from passing was unprecedented. Be clear about what you mean please. 

I am familiar with the Texas situation with AAs and agree it was an end run that needed to be stopped. What I meant by "open practice acts" was the history of stated opposition to a name change as we would have to open our practice act to possible revision from outside parties with amendments and so it wasn't worth the risk. To advance OTP legislatively will require opening the practice act regardless; removing one of the primary arguments against a name change.

Guest Paula

I've voted and you have my vote.  I met you briefly at LAS in 2016, I think.  You were still a student and I saw your potential for leadership.  Hope you get in!!!

Paula, 

Thank you for your vote, we did meet briefly in '16 with Nichole.

To Corpsman89, two things I learned in the Navy is to always leave a command better than when I showed up, and to take care of your people. Running for Secretary-Treasurer allows me to do that.

I truly believe we are at a critical junction for the Profession and that the AAPA needs to move forward boldly. In an election of this nature every vote counts, as it will likely be decided by a few hundred votes. So I challenge people to engage. Even if you are a student, or are growing frustrated with recent AAPA actions, or you are not a member you can still make a difference. Email or Facebook your colleagues, friends, State society lists, your alumni lists and have them VOTE! Of 40,000+ members, around 6,000 people vote in AAPA elections. So change that. I can candidly say that at this point, it will come down to one or two seats changing at this point to take a more progressive stance going forward. Send them to https://www.josephsutherland.org/

One of my goals if elected is to continue to push for more transparency on Board decisions, and you can always contact me directly to ask how I voted or what I think regarding a situation.

Respectfully, 

Joseph

Archived