What to do after rejection. What did you second time appliers do with your time between cycles?

I just finished up my first application cycle. I got interviewed at one school and was wait-listed. The school informed me that every student in their very small class that was offered a seat verbally stated they intend to attend and therefore the school did not even rank the wait list. There is little to no chance of getting in this cycle. I put my heart and soul into this cycle and with the exception of putting my time into reapplying, I am in a little bit of a loss in terms of what to do for the next year while the cycle commences.

I am in a position where I am running out of courses to take. I have met all of the requirements for most schools. I am going to get my EMT licences, but that only takes 6 weeks and I'll be done before Fall even starts. I am working as a CNA at a hospital at the moment and feel that I am not learning any more and feeling painfully stagnant as an aspiring health care provider. Although schools likes load of hours, I genuinely think the difference between 1700 PCH and 4000 PCH as a CNA make little difference in my predicted success as a PA student and future PA.

Is there anyone else that has been in a similar situation? If so, any insight into what you did? I am considering a health volunteer trip out of the country, though not for a year! Did you explore public health jobs or go get other certifications? 

I am trying to figure out how to improve myself as an applicant, while not feeling like I am playing a year long waiting game! Would love suggestions from people who were not successful the first cycle they applied. 

GPA: ~3.2 at time of application (though last 65-ish units I had a 3.9, most of which were pre-reqs)

GRE 156V 153Q 4W

~900 PCH working as a CNA with dementia patients then at a hospital and a mission trip to India 

~300 HCH working as a vet tech

~100 volunteer hours working with children that have been removed from domestic violence situations

~65 hr of shadowing in 4 different specialties  

I also had a ton of random certifications in diabetes management, dementia care, domestic violence 

I don't remember exact stats as this was a year ago I submitted my app. Those numbers have gone up a lot since then. This was also a career change for me. 

Having gone through last cycle I know what you're going through. I didn't even make it to the wait-list from the 2 programs I interviewed at and my brain went scrambling and going through all the emotions of regret. 

I have thought long and hard on what my next step was going to be if I was not successful in gaining acceptance. I decided to skip this cycle and do an accelerated BSN program (12 months total) and re-submit my CASPA during the 2018-2019 cycle. Yes it's an expensive strategy but I noticed that if I had re-applied this cycle, nothing would have changed except for increased PCE which I believe is not enough to say "yea, this guy went above and beyond compared to his last application." 

I would encourage you to call or email your programs and see where they think you can improve. Think about doing another BS or MS that is clinically relevant (kudos if accelerated) and if you do well will prove you can manage an intense program of study.

Then again, a lot of people said it's common to apply 2-3 times before getting in but life waits for no one. 

I went 1yr with all rejections! I had applied to 5 different programs too. My GPA was a 2.8, so I kept taking classes and eventually ran out of sciences to take. I then started to take easy courses to boost my GPA and even took classes over. It was a difficult task because I was getting married, working full time and schooling full time (because time was limited and a year goes fast). In that year I also took on another job in my same field but with different equipment and now in the surgical environment. I also rewrote my narrative, by taking a completely different angle and being less dramatic than my first lol. I would boost the GPA further and write a new narrative that addresses your improvements for this go round. Also, have you talked to the programs about why they didn't take you? I did mock interviews with my wife to improve my comfort and confidence with interviews. Also, are you applying to schools that fit your strengths? I mean applying to schools that value the amount of PCE hrs you have vs a school that would want you to have even more?

Anyway, the next year, I was asked to interview at all the schools and accepted at my top choice. You can do it!

I went 1yr with all rejections! I had applied to 5 different programs too. My GPA was a 2.8, so I kept taking classes and eventually ran out of sciences to take. I then started to take easy courses to boost my GPA and even took classes over. It was a difficult task because I was getting married, working full time and schooling full time (because time was limited and a year goes fast). In that year I also took on another job in my same field but with different equipment and now in the surgical environment. I also rewrote my narrative, by taking a completely different angle and being less dramatic than my first lol. I would boost the GPA further and write a new narrative that addresses your improvements for this go round. Also, have you talked to the programs about why they didn't take you? I did mock interviews with my wife to improve my comfort and confidence with interviews. Also, are you applying to schools that fit your strengths? I mean applying to schools that value the amount of PCE hrs you have vs a school that would want you to have even more?

I have asked several of the schools, a lot of them frustratingly don't give you much info! One school simply sent me to their class statistics page that I had already visited (my stats were competitive compared to what was on the page, though the stats were not comprehensive. I did not include PCH). I was told from one school that my GPA and GRE was considered competitive but their incoming class had average of 4000 PCH where I had closer to 1000. I think quantity of my patient care hours were found to be weak. Its a frustrating process because like I said above, I don't think working as a CNA for 1000 hrs vs 4000 hrs will make me a better provider or better PA student. 

I am not questioning why I did not get in. There were amazing applicants when I interviewed and limited seats. My interview did not go poorly, but I was nervous in the beginning and sadly in such a competitive environment you do not have the luxury of even small mistakes. 

I am currently just trying to figure out how to keep my self sane during this year. I quit my job in a different field to peruse this. Although I don't regret changing careers I did not expect to run into a situation where I would feel stagnant for over a year. I am just trying to figure out how to overcome that! And I know I can not be the only one. 

WOW. That IS quite the plan. That will certainly be impressive to schools. I have considered public health, it just feels that it is postponing what the final goal is. Also $$$, degrees aren't cheap. Wow though, I have been looking at tech jobs. Though most are 2 year degrees, and I have yet to find any accelerated programs. I wish there were since looking at their curriculum I have taken several of their basic courses!

I am continuing to accumulate patient care hours as an EMT, and in home care giver. I applied to four CA schools, interviewed at two and then I was waitlisted at one and rejected by three. If could do it all over I would take more classes to boost my GPA even if it's like just PE, genetics, pharmacology, immunology. The waiting game is killer but all you can do is continue to become as competitive as possible and keep very very busy! Gaining a lot of shadowing hours is also very important as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also if I could do it all over again I wouldn't have applied to only four California schools I would've applied to 40 schools. With applying to so many schools you increase your chances of being accepted because the secret is all it takes is one school it's a numbers game combined with your effort and hard work personal statement and what makes you unique. That way it doesn't put so much pressure when you happen to be waitlisted for one school. Also I would probably look into schools that have bigger classes too, actually only like four PA schools that have 97 spots with most of the schools receiving over 1500 to 3000 applicants The chances of becoming selected for an interview increase for increasing your chances of acceptance , everyone that makes it to the interview was pretty on point and after that it becomes how skillful you are with your interview and luck as well. It's kind of like driving a stick shift car you got a learn how to do it so then once you jump in you don't stall or become nervous you just handle it and go forward with the ultimate goal of becoming accepted or crossing over to the finish line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apply broad and wide. This was the best advice I was given. You sound like you have a solid plan and stick too it. If possible try adding in volunteering with direct pt care like hospice. Also if schools are rolling admins, apply early!! This will be my third time applying. Each cycle ask yourself how bad do you want it and find the spots you can improve. I've had to retake a few classes since they were B's and the applicants that got in had A's. If you want to be a PA, keep grinding. You will get there eventually. Feel free to message me if you need any advice!!

The difference between 1700 and 4000 hrs may not make the difference in your predicted success as a PA student, but it can certainly be the difference between getting interviews or not and getting accepted or not.  Schools want larger numbers and unfortunately you have to play the game whether you think there is merit to it or not.  Applying to PA school is largely a numbers game.  Your GPA is on the low side.  Your HCE is definitely on the low side.  It sounds like you applied to 1 program (or only interviewed at 1?).  The numerical odds were not in your favor.

Take more classes.  Raise your GPA.  They don't have to be required pre-reqs, just take upper level science courses showing that you are still making an effort to improve your GPA.  Keep getting HCE hours.  Whether that is via CNA or EMT doesn't necessarily matter, but keep upping your numbers.  If you're able, apply to more programs next cycle.  Start figuring out now which ones where you will be a competitive applicant (check matriculated student stats).

• Administrator

I don't remember exact stats as this was a year ago I submitted my app.

Unless you track how your GPA, HCE hours, etc. changed from app year to app year, you're kinda shooting in the dark.

What I did between my first year and my second, successful, application year:

* Continue working as an EMT

* Take a bunch more science classes.

* Apply more broadly

* Start participating here on the PA Forums to get more up to speed on the profession

* Shadowed more broadly, more different professions.  Didn't have a huge number of hours, but did shadow enough to articulate why I didn't either want to be a paramedic or physician.

Archived