Nurse practitioner show on Sirius

This morning as I was listening to Doctors Radio, I heard that there was going to be a segment later today where a "nurse practitioner" will be discussing the role of physician assistants.  I didn't hear anything after that, and the site is blocked at work.  Can anyone post details and/or listen to the show?  I can't imagine why a NP would be talking about the role of PA's, especially without a PA representative. 

Tom

From the site schedule, The Nurse Practitioner segment at 4-6PM Eastern on 6/1 says:

"Nurse Practitioner Pat Chibbaro discusses the role of the Physician Assistant in supporting the “Optimal Team Practice”."

"Patricia Chibbaro is a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner at the Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery at the NYU Langone Medical Center. For the past 25 years, Pat has been the pediatric nurse practitioner on the cleft lip/palate and craniofacial teams at the Institute, caring for children ages 0-21. She is the liaison between the patient/family and all of their health care providers. Pat has published and lectured nationally and internationally regarding the comprehensive nursing care needs of these very special children."

I don't get this channel because I went down the music only option - no talk channels.

I found an email for the channel but can't find transcripts of their shows.

We need to listen and find out how we are being represented and how an NP became some voice of authority, particularly an NP who works in a very narrow scope of practice in peds.

I can only hope that a PA is actually involved and this isn't an Op-Ed opinion nightmare.

Looking forward to more feedback.

Here are my updates so far:

There is a PA hosting the episode along with the NP. I didn't catch his name, but he is on an accreditation committee looking into starting a PA school at NYU (the NP hosting the showed made a joke asking "could I join your faculty?").

The NP on the program has been very complimentary towards PAs. Lots of discussion about how competitive our admissions have become, and when asked by a caller about the differences between PAs and NPs, she commended the technical and procedural ability of PAs. She said she was not a fan of online programs for NPs (personally) and that the majority of her colleagues do not come from online programs.

People were calling in with questions about NPs and PAs, and one caller was even both an NP and a PA. Very respectful discussion and questions. Even a question from a receptionist who was asking how she should best communicate to the patient what NPs and PAs are. 

There was also a call about doctoral level programs for NPs. The host noted that many faculty positions require either a PhD or the DNP, and so many NPs have gone the DNP route precisely for that reason. She herself only has her masters. 

Lots of agreement that NPs and PAs need to work together to keep achieving legislative victories given the forces at work against the two professions. 

I'm not sure if it was the NP hosting the episode or a caller, but they gave PAs a huge congratulations for passing optimum team practice.

Overall, I'm a fan of Pat Chibbaro based upon what I've heard today. 

I see that the episode was slated for two hours, but at around 4:50 EST Chibbaro mentioned only having "10 minutes left" so I'm not sure it lasted the full 2 hours?

Sorry for the scrambled thoughts - was trying to jot down what I could remember from my commute. 

A rational cross profession discussion? What's next? Cats playing with dogs? Harleys riding with Hondas? The end times are upon us! :-)

I actually, after a bit of initial suspicion, found the NP association in Texas very welcoming of dialogue and cooperation. It always makes me happy to hear these kinds of stories.

A rational cross profession discussion? What's next? Cats playing with dogs? Harleys riding with Hondas? The end times are upon us! :-)

I actually, after a bit of initial suspicion, found the NP association in Texas very welcoming of dialogue and cooperation. It always makes me happy to hear these kinds of stories.

Indeed! What a breath of fresh air!

Fun fact that the NP hosting the episode casually mentioned: Did you know NYU's medical center employs over 500 PAs? 

Archived