Notice to leave position

As I fantasize about job offers, I've been wondering how much notice to give. I don't have a contract that mandates this. Some PAs I know who work solely in hospitals all say three months. Other PAs I know in similar community surgery shops to me will say 3-4 weeks. I searched this topic on the forum and found everything from 60 days to three weeks (equivalent to my vacation time.)

I don't have any pressing circumstances for my leaving, except the travel requirements for my position have changed dramatically in the last year. I'm expected to travel (overnight) more than one week/month. And this looks like it will grow more in time.

Will three weeks leave them in the lurch? Probably. But is it unprofessional?

If your situation permits, try to be nice. (It really doesn't matter how they might act if they terminated you; you are the one who cares about and controls your own integrity.)

It takes time for them to get someone new so try not to leave them in too much of a lurch. 90 days if you must by contract, 60 days if you can, and a 30 day minimum would work for me. Actually being reasonable with your last employer may send a message to your new one about your level of professionalism (or maybe not.)

While they might like to have you longer, it kind of poisons their well too. Having you hanging around week after week, telling your coworkers how great your new life will be, may not be their cup of tea. (In the service, we called it being "short" or "FIGMO.")

• 2 weeks later...

Archived