"I went to Urgent Care and they didn't give me anything"

Sums up my work week in UC this week.... I am polite and stand my ground. Usually when I tell them " I don't want to give you a medicine that is MORE likely to give you diarrhea than make you feel better. We can treat your symptoms though with OTC medications." Most get the point. Some patient populations do understand the purpose of avoiding abx and resistance which is refreshing..

Stand your ground and practice good medicine...

And then comes the ugly social media posts...Google, Yelp, Facebook...etc. and the inevitable "you need to work on your customer service skills" talk.

I received a company wide email the other day at a place I locum at stressing just how "critical" social media reviews are to them having a successful business.  It was in bold within the very first paragraph of their newsletter.  It went on to stress how important it is for us to push patients for those 5 star reviews......

Ironically I am all about keeping patients as happy as possible.  I went to a risk seminar years ago and they said that patients are less likely to sue when something goes wrong if they like the provider.  What the corporate overlords are advocating though is practicing BAD medicine in an effort to get good social media reviews.  If patients knew just how horribly trained the ancillary staff at these places they hire are, there would be an outcry.  But hey, they save a lot of money by hiring untrained techs to do nurses work, and NCT's to shoot film that looks like a monkey shot.  Very frustrating.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want my patients to like me. Basically, I think we all want to be liked.

But there is a difference between being liked and doing the right thing.

I tell patients I am doing a job and might tell them things they don't want to hear. It has nothing to do with liking them, it is important that I address things that are harmful like smoking, or sharing meds, or not taking meds or having a BMI of 63. It might not be something they like but something they NEED to hear and I am here to help them address it.

The online reviews are just like word of mouth - very few who are satisfied are likely to go post a favorable review BUT those who felt like they didn't get what they WANT are the first to leave a negative review and often those are the only ones.

I find it disastrous that a medical "business" cares about online posts rather than bounce backs, complications, etc. 

I have never been on Facebook, LinkedIn or any social media. I don't have a presence and don't want one. I don't fill out Yelp reviews either.

If I like or dislike something, I address it personally with the owner, manager of a business - direct contact. 

It is easy to feel anonymous online and post hateful horrible things that one might not say outloud face to face. 

We are losing sight of interpersonal communication and reality..........................

The old Kaiser Permanente slogan in Texas when they weren't very highly regarded and were often seen as a menace.

Good People

Good Medicine

I always thought - Good Luck.

I remember them setting up shop here.  Funny.  They were ran out pretty fast, only to be replaced with 100% pure corporate UC's.  At least Kaiser is based out of a hospital system.

Archived