Changing supervising Physicians

So yesterday, the NPs and PAs in this family practice in TX were informed that a new doctor just hired will be every ones new collaborating Physician. The CP who owns the practiced has moved out of state and without warning has told every one they have a new CP! Is that legal? No one knows anything about this new MD. The out of state doc pops in occasionally.

• Administrator

Legal? Not sure... but it certainly looks like there's something problematic happening.  My state processes changes in practice arrangements promptly, but not sure how fast TX is.  Ideally, they will have gotten all that I's dotted and T's crossed in an appropriate manner, but it still sounds a bit difficult to explain to the patients.

It's only legal if your "new" CP shows up at the TMB website as your SP, assuming the last one didn't surrender his/her license and drop off the website as your SP. You may be able to "fudge" while waiting for the new SP to get posted, assuming THEY know the policy and check the TMB site to approve supvr. rights, but I wouldn't want to risk it myself. That raises an interesting question. If they are across the state line, available for consultation via phone, chat, etc., you have documentation of your required monthly meetings with them, and they still have an active license, can they supervise?

I DEFINITELY want to know how this one plays out. By "fudge" I mean TMB gives you verbal ok though I'd still be hesitant but that's just me.

If your new supervising doc has established a relationship with you via the TMB website, and you have a practice agreement- and of course, they have a valid license to practice- there's nothing to say that they have to actually be in the state physically.

If you do not have an established relationship with this new doc via the TMB and a separate prescriptive delegation agreement, you cannot legally practice and cannot prescribe medication

If your new supervising doc has established a relationship with you via the TMB website, and you have a practice agreement- and of course, they have a valid license to practice- there's nothing to say that they have to actually be in the state physically.

If you do not have an established relationship with this new doc via the TMB and a separate prescriptive delegation agreement, you cannot legally practice and cannot prescribe medication

[emoji106]

Archived