Employers ARE starting to use the CAQ specialty exams...

Why doesn't NCCPA work with MD/DO boards to coordinate our professions?

I continue to argue that we, in Primary Care, should be aligned with the AAFP and have similar board cert.

If we are trained on a medical model and practice medicine - then we should be judged along the same lines.

I think it would be much more clinically appropriate and socially impressive (if I cared) that a FP PA have an AAFP cert with their NCCPA or some combo thereof.

Then maybe I could bill at 100% in FP based on my certification and qualifications.......

Is it just me or does this sound ridiculously logical?...................

Entirely logical, but the AAFP is not our friend. They have nothing to gain, monetarily, from helping us. So they don't.

Entirely logical, but the AAFP is not our friend. They have nothing to gain, monetarily, from helping us. So they don't.

So, my naive, idealistic side coming out - if AAPA isn't going to support us - why do they exist?

If their mission is to promote the profession, wouldn't helping us align us with our medical model and partners be part of their mission?

So, my naive, idealistic side coming out - if AAPA isn't going to support us - why do they exist?

If their mission is to promote the profession, wouldn't helping us align us with our medical model and partners be part of their mission?

I do believe the AAPA is now going to help us as they have greatly altered their rhetoric over the past year or 2 and now have a task force to explore PA full practice authority. It'll release its findings before the next HOD meeting. It's not their fault, at this point, that nobody wants to play ball with us.

I'm confused because we were originally talking about the AAFP. Was there a miscommunication? Even if AAPA brought logical, evidence based, fiscally responsible proposal that would help advance our profession, they wouldn't do it. If we passed an exam based on their board certification, that just gives us more legitimacy. All they see is us attempting to take a larger slice of what they see as their pie, but they'll say it's all in the interest of patient safety as only a physician should be the lead in primary care.

Not saying this about individual physicians as I've met with plenty that think I should practice as independently as they do, but that's not what their organization believes.

Sorry about my gaffe.

I got acronym dyslexia.

So AAFP isn't PA friendly? Has AAPA tried to do anything?

I don't know any history of AAPA and AAFP.

Maybe AAPA should initiate contacts with all the boards to further solidify the MD/DO - PA relationship and open doors to shared board certs. It is only in their best interest.

AAFP cannot deny that FP is the least chosen residency and PAs ARE a vital part of primary care.

Am I assuming too much collegial respect?

Sorry about my gaffe.

I got acronym dyslexia.

So AAFP isn't PA friendly? Has AAPA tried to do anything?

I don't know any history of AAPA and AAFP.

Maybe AAPA should initiate contacts with all the boards to further solidify the MD/DO - PA relationship and open doors to shared board certs. It is only in their best interest.

AAFP cannot deny that FP is the least chosen residency and PAs ARE a vital part of primary care.

Am I assuming too much collegial respect?

I just don't see how it's in the interest of physician specialty organizations?

AAFP won't even allow us to become nonvoting members. At least twice now that resolution has been shot down. So I don't see them sharing board certs.

Archived