Class of 2016-2017

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know what the interviews are like here? Group, individual, essays!?!?

Two individual interviews, one academic, one experience, and there is a writing portion of the interview. It'll ask a question on a health care topic. Also we'll be split up into groups. You'll either do interviews first and then tour the place or vice versa. First thing though you'll come in and dr. Kilgore will give a speech on the pa program. Morning group will end with lunch and a final sit down with dr. Kilgore, and afternoon group will start with that. That was how they did it last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two individual interviews, one academic, one experience, and there is a writing portion of the interview. It'll ask a question on a health care topic. Also we'll be split up into groups. You'll either do interviews first and then tour the place or vice versa. First thing though you'll come in and dr. Kilgore will give a speech on the pa program. Morning group will end with lunch and a final sit down with dr. Kilgore, and afternoon group will start with that. That was how they did it last year

Do you have any advice on how to prepare for the essays?

Yes!  Let's make poke travel happen!   I can pack it in dry ice and carry it on or check it in.  :)

What is your favorite?  Spicy?

I'm coming in on the morning of the 9th... 

Anything else I can bring you all from over here?

And is there anyone else on the forum that is interviewing on the morning of the 11th with me?

haha I PM you! or tried to ...

hey yall! im a current UAB student- saw this and wanted to give yall a heads up--- you can apply for in state tuition through the academic common market if your home state has an agreement with the state of AL. also, the first year class is ~90 students, second year is ~77. I would expect the class in which you all are interviewing will contain 80-90 students. good luck, dont stress, be yourself !! (& if you are interviewing you can ask current students any other questions you might have)

Hello to the current students of the UAB PA program. I would like to hear your opinion on the larger class size there. I know UAB has been increasing the PA class size for a few years now, and was curious of the pros and cons of a larger class. Do you feel you get enough one on one time with professors? Are there any issues with finding enough clinical rotation sites for the increased student numbers? Is the class broken down into smaller groups for certain activities, or is everything done as a whole class? I have interviewed at schools with similar class sizes and at some with much smaller classes, so I would be curious to hear any opinions you all have.

Anyone know what the interviews are like here? Group, individual, essays!?!?

Hi, so you'll have two individual interviews. One will be academic (where they talk about any weaknesses on your transcripts/GRE scores/etc). The second interview will be almost like a personality type of interview. It's not enough to do well academically they also want friendly, well rounded ppl that can socially interact well with pts. There's also an essay question that you'll have 20min to answer (usually an ethical type question). At some point during the day you'll be taken on a tour of the facility (in a small group).

Hope this helps! I'll see some of you guys tomorrow [emoji2]

For all who are interviewing this week. I wish you the best of luck. I interviewed today so I feel compelled to share some info on the process. We had 3 interviews (1 Academic, 1 Clinical experience, and 1 Alumni interview). Following the interviews, my group was led on a tour with current students who were very helpful and welcoming. After the tour we convened for a 40 minute writing exercise. After this we had a lunch provided by the program and spoke with the director. This was by far the best interview experience I have had.

For all who are interviewing this week. I wish you the best of luck. I interviewed today so I feel compelled to share some info on the process. We had 3 interviews (1 Academic, 1 Clinical experience, and 1 Alumni interview). Following the interviews, my group was led on a tour with current students who were very helpful and welcoming. After the tour we convened for a 40 minute writing exercise. After this we had a lunch provided by the program and spoke with the director. This was by far the best interview experience I have had.

Thank you so much for sharing! When you say clinical experience interivew are they just asking questions regarding that? Did you feel well prepared for the writing assignment?

Ok so what's the alumni interview about? That's a new one:-/

Thank you so much for sharing! When you say clinical experience interivew are they just asking questions regarding that? Did you feel well prepared for the writing assignment?

It wasn't exactly structured like it sounds. I interviewed on Monday morning and the "clinical experience" interview was not at all about my clinical experiences. My "academic" interviewer only asked one question based on my grades and then the rest were about my experiences.. soooo you don't really know what to expect honestly.

To answer your questions, the academic interview wasn't only specific to academics, and the clinical interview wasn't just specific to clinical experience; However, I did discuss my academic background and any weak points in my academic history, and what I did to correct them. During the clinical interview I spoke a lot on my own life experiences, then a brief discussion on my clinical work. As for the Alumni interview, it was more open discussion on why they decided to choose UAB PA school and to just talk about anything. They genuinely  want to see what kind of person you are.

The writing exercise is different for everyone. I feel like I had no problem during the writing exercise, but I typically am comfortable writing or explaining my thoughts. 

Just be yourself. Good Luck to everyone!

Respectfully,

A hopeful classmate of yours

Congrats to all who interviewed last week! It was great getting to meet a few of you Friday [emoji5] I hope you all had a positive interview day experience & walked away as impressed by and in love with UAB as I was last year! Especially with the addition of pig lab to the tour (which was not a feature last year). I think I can safely speak for all the other 1st years who helped with interviews when I say that was pretty inspiring, even now! Best of luck, and feel free to reach out if you have any questions! [emoji4]

- Ashley Javech, PA-S I (Friday PM Group B!)

Archived