OHSU 2016 Application cycle

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone, 

I'm a reapplicant this year. Submitted my application a lot later than I would have preferred, early August. I wanted to perfect my statement making sure there were no grammatical errors. However, it paid off because I have an interview in January. I'm a little late in the game finding this website, but I'm interested in hearing about how the fall interviews go! 

Good luck everyone!

I submitted my application in May and received a rejection email in August. I'm guessing it had to do with the fact that I didn't retake the GRE (I took it in 2002 and none of the 3 other schools I applied to required it and I was told by OHSU admissions that they allow you to write a waiver letter if you feel that you can place out of the GRE)). 

If it helps anyone, my GPA was 3.7, undergraduate at an Ivy League University, MS at top tier school and over 3,000 patient care hours as a healthcare professional. I hear that OHSU stresses serving underserved communities, having a desire to work in a rural environment, and gives preferential treatment to OR residents, things that I did not have. So, I guess it wasn't the best fit for me after all. Living in Portland would have been cool, though. 

I got into Stony Brook and just had an interview at Hofstra, so I guess I'm meant to be on Long Island. I'm happy to answer any questions or help anyone, though!

OHSU is all about community service. One of the ER docs who used to be on the admissions board told me that if you don't have any volunteering experience they really don't look twice at your application. Most applicants claim to go into these fields to help people, but if you don't have any community service you're not proving your point. 

For you those of you who plan to reapply next cycle, go out and volunteer!

OHSU is all about community service. One of the ER docs who used to be on the admissions board told me that if you don't have any volunteering experience they really don't look twice at your application. Most applicants claim to go into these fields to help people, but if you don't have any community service you're not proving your point. 

I had nearly no meaningful volunteer/community service but was still offered an Interview. 

However I was in the Navy as a Hospital Corpsman, and deployed to Afghanistan. Maybe this made up for the lack of volunteer service? 

I would be careful with these blanket "If you don't have X, don't bother" type statements. I too have very little volunteer experience yet I also received an invite.

I would be careful with these blanket "If you don't have X, don't bother" type statements. I too have very little volunteer experience yet I also received an invite.

You misunderstood, let me clarify. If you make a claim in your statement make sure you can back it up. I use volunteering because this is the most general topic for healthcare professionals. Most applicants say they want to help people, volunteering proves that claim and shows motivation towards that. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Where did you guys stay during your interview? I've booked a room at University Place Hotel but if there are better options at better rates, that would be appreciated.

I'm also staying at University Place. As far as rates go, it depends on how far you're willing to drive. I live in McMinnville ~40 miles away (that can take 2 hours in rush hour traffic) and I'm sure there's a dozen places that are cheaper between here and there. But if you want to be a quick walk away, University Place might be you're best option.

Two interviews down, can anyone talk about their interview experience?

For the interview there are three different segments consisting of a group interview, 1 hour MMI section, and then information about the program and a tour of the CLSB. There is also a lunch with current students and a question and answer period. Prior to the interview the school will be in contact with you about everything you need to know for interview day.

We were told that the admissions committee meets after either 2 or 3 interviews to discuss the candidates and will let us know their decision within a couple weeks. Fingers crossed!

I too received the call from Glenn yesterday informing me of my acceptance. I am so excited and grateful to be attending school at OHSU next year! I cannot wait to meet everyone! We have an exciting couple of years ahead of us!

For those that didn't get in, have faith. This was my 2nd time applying to PA school. I did a lot of things different this time around, the most important being that I submitted my application in May instead of the week before the deadline. Please don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions about the reapplication process! 

Best of luck to everyone in the upcoming interviews!!

Does anyone know what the "committee hold status" really means and what the odds of an acceptance are from that status? Thanks

My understanding is that the committee hold status means you are on the wait list for the program. I believe they said in the interview they put around 20 people on the list and usually take between 3-5 people from it. 

The committee hold is not the traditional waitlist. The traditional Type OHSU refers to as an alternate. Committee hold means you simply weren't discussed in the acceptance committee due to time constraints, and you will be the next committee meeting.

EDIT: I'm paraphrasing what we were told at the interview on monday.

The committee hold is not the traditional waitlist. The traditional Type OHSU refers to as an alternate. Committee hold means you simply weren't discussed in the acceptance committee due to time constraints, and you will be the next committee meeting.

Thanks for responding! So just to clarify, that means they haven't reviewed the application/interview scores at all? May I ask your source? Thanks for your time!!

Thanks for responding! So just to clarify, that means they haven't reviewed the application/interview scores at all? May I ask your source? Thanks for your time!!

Yes, at our interview group they stated that a committee hold was either they didn't get to discussing your profile at the committee hearing or they couldn't come up with a decision due to time constraints, your decision will be made at the next committee hearing which will be the week of Thanksgiving. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived