PENNSYLVANIA: Penn State PA Program 2016-2017

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Received the news that I was wait listed. I will admit I'm sad, but not defeated. There's still a chance and I hope to join this amazing program! Does anyone have any insight on how the wait list works or if there are any students that were moved off the wait list in previous classes? Any help/hope would be greatly appreciated!

Hi!! I have LOTS of experience with the waitlist and am proof that there is hope!! Penn State was was always my top choice. In fact, my first time through CASPA, it was the ONLY program I applied to. I first applied to the Class of 2016 and was waitlisted. I then re-applied to the Class of 2017 and was waitlisted again. I was then in the process of applying a third time when I was contacted just 2 days before classes began and was told I was accepted off the waitlist!!! There are also 3 others in my class who were chosen off the waitlist (albeit with much earlier notice than me).

There is also a student in the Class of 2018 who was accepted off the waitlist 2 days AFTER classes started!!

So...THERE IS HOPE!! With that said, do not stop your efforts to get in to another program or improve yourself as a candidate to have a better shot next cycle. I posted a lot about this last CASPA cycle so I encourage you to read back through the thread on this forum from last year.

Keep the questions coming!! GOOD LUCK!!

Hi!! I have LOTS of experience with the waitlist and am proof that there is hope!! Penn State was was always my top choice. In fact, my first time through CASPA, it was the ONLY program I applied to. I first applied to the Class of 2016 and was waitlisted. I then re-applied to the Class of 2017 and was waitlisted again. I was then in the process of applying a third time when I was contacted just 2 days before classes began and was told I was accepted off the waitlist!!! There are also 3 others in my class who were chosen off the waitlist (albeit with much earlier notice than me).

There is also a student in the Class of 2018 who was accepted off the waitlist 2 days AFTER classes started!!

So...THERE IS HOPE!! With that said, do not stop your efforts to get in to another program or improve yourself as a candidate to have a better shot next cycle. I posted a lot about this last CASPA cycle so I encourage you to read back through the thread on this forum from last year.

Keep the questions coming!! GOOD LUCK!!

Thank you so much for the mini pep talk!  I was able to find your older posts after some digging, haha.

It doesn't seem like many people are pulled off the wait list.  Would you happen to know how many people are on the wait list?

Thank you so much for the mini pep talk! I was able to find your older posts after some digging, haha.

It doesn't seem like many people are pulled off the wait list. Would you happen to know how many people are on the wait list?

Hi,

You raise a good point that I meant to make on my previous post. The odds of getting in to PA school in general, and Penn State's program specifically, are very much against you to begin with- assuming (at least) 3,500 people apply, there is just less than a 1% chance of getting in. The waitlist is even less than that.

With that said, whether or not people will come on the waitlist will vary year to year. I believe there were only 2 in the Class of 2016 but about 4 in my year, 2017. There are also a few of us in my class that were waitlisted for 2016 and, after re-applying and re-interviewing, were accepted to 2017.

So, in some ways, being waitlisted is almost harder than being outright rejected. You are in limbo land ;-)

So my take home point if you are waitlisted is this...yes!!! Have hope!!! But still consider yourself as not being accepted and continue to pursue other programs of interest and improve areas of "weakness" in your application. That way, you will be prepared no matter what!!

Hope this helps. And best of luck to those who interviewed today!! Hope you enjoyed your day on campus!!

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone from this admissions cycle can speak to approximately how long it took to receive an admissions decision after interviewing.  I know at the interview, they specifically said up to 30 days, but an expedited decision could be made if requested.  I have received some recent acceptances and need to make decisions within the next 2-3 weeks. I loved the program and felt right at home on Interview Day, and I know a PSU acceptance could definitely sway my final decision.  I do not want to request an expedited decision if not necessary, so I just wanted to gauge the timeline of other applicants.

Thanks to anyone who can provide any insight. (And, best of luck to all of those reading!)

Hey, does anyone know if the incoming class if full yet? I'm seriously considering applying, but would hate to be applying for a position on the waitlist.

Thank you, and good luck to everyone!

Classes are never filled until after the application deadline in mid-January and all interviews have been conducted.

Hey, does anyone know if the incoming class if full yet?  I'm seriously considering applying, but would hate to be applying for a position on the waitlist. 

Hey there, 

While current students do not know exactly how many program spots have been filled, the program makes it a policy to keep spots open till the absolute end to allow people whom apply late to have a chance at entry. Given, you have a better chance of admittance with an earlier application, but there are still spots. They tend to fill the class and wait list at the same time, based on who fits best with the group and cohort. 

As a side note, when I applied, I finalized my application only a few days before the deadline, interviewed on one of the last days, and am now a second year student... so, I wouldn't wait any longer, but you're still good! 

Hey, does anyone know if the incoming class if full yet? I'm seriously considering applying, but would hate to be applying for a position on the waitlist.

Classes are never filled until after the application deadline in mid-January and all interviews have been conducted.

Hi all!

Does anyone know what the best way to contact admissions is regarding whether or not a prerequisite course will be accepted? I have emailed the PA program a few times with no response (I know they are VERY busy), but I just don't want to submit my application if the course will not be counted. It's a film analysis course that I took at my university and it fulfilled the Gordon Rule writing requirement, so I assume that it would be counted toward 3 of the 6 English credits, but I wanted to double check. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!

Hey there, 

Not sure about the specific course meeting the requirement, but I would simply try emailing Caryn again or give them a phone call. Caryn Stopper is absolutely awesome at getting back to people, but, unfortunately, with the numbers of people seeking more information, I'm sure people occasionally get missed. 

So... try it again! 

Samuel

For those who have received decisions this cycle, whether acceptance or waitlist, did you receive it via email or phone call? Did most of your hear back at the 30 day mark or earlier? I'm nearing my 30 day post interview and have been pretty much refreshing my email all day!

I interviewed August 19th and found out I got accepted by a phone call on September 15th! I know waiting is so tough but it took almost the full 30 days for me to hear back too so don't worry! Best of luck!! :)

For those who have received decisions this cycle, whether acceptance or waitlist, did you receive it via email or phone call? Did most of your hear back at the 30 day mark or earlier? I'm nearing my 30 day post interview and have been pretty much refreshing my email all day! 

I was accepted less than two weeks after my October 21st interview via phone call!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, does anybody know of an instance whereby a candidate was informed of either being accepted or waitlisted after the 30 days had elapsed? Is it reasonable to assume that not getting a response within 30 days means that you were not a successful candidate after the interview? Do candidates who interviewed on the same day know their interview decision around the same time frame? Lastly, has any candidate from the November 2016 interviews received a decision yet? I am only 2 days from the "30 day window" and I haven't heard anything. The wait tis nerve-racking.  

Hello everyone, does anybody know of an instance whereby a candidate was informed of either being accepted or waitlisted after the 30 days had elapsed? Is it reasonable to assume that not getting a response within 30 days means that you were not a successful candidate after the interview? Do candidates who interviewed on the same day know their interview decision around the same time frame? Lastly, has any candidate from the November 2016 interviews received a decision yet? I am only 2 days from the "30 day window" and I haven't heard anything. The wait tis nerve-racking.

I was waitlisted twice and found out beyond the 30 day window at least one of those times (may have been both but 2013 was forever ago!)

Hello everyone, does anybody know of an instance whereby a candidate was informed of either being accepted or waitlisted after the 30 days had elapsed? Is it reasonable to assume that not getting a response within 30 days means that you were not a successful candidate after the interview? Do candidates who interviewed on the same day know their interview decision around the same time frame? Lastly, has any candidate from the November 2016 interviews received a decision yet? I am only 2 days from the "30 day window" and I haven't heard anything. The wait tis nerve-racking.  

Thank you for your patience; I know the waiting game is difficult on the nerves - we are notifying candidates as quickly as possible. And yes, there are instances where a candidate decision may take longer than 30 days. We do our best to respond within 30 days but on occassion, hearing from the program might extend beyond 30 days. 

Caryn Stopper

Director of Admissions

Received an email telling me my application was complete and under review on 11/23, received an interview offer on 11/28, and interviewed yesterday on 12/02. Absolutely loved everything about the program and hoping they took a liking to me as well. This wait to hear back either way is going to be the worst!

I agree! I interviewed 11/17 and absolutely loved everything about it (to be honest, I knew I would!). The program is fantastic and the interview process was much more personal than any other I had attended. The wait is tremendously hard, but goodluck!

I agree! I interviewed 11/17 and absolutely loved everything about it (to be honest, I knew I would!). The program is fantastic and the interview process was much more personal than any other I had attended. The wait is tremendously hard, but goodluck!

Same to you! Have you heard back since your interview or are you still waiting?

Are interviews still being conducted?

Yes, Penn State honors our application deadlines and continue to review complete applications, invite for interview, and offer admission through February 2017. We have plenty of interview days remaining in December, January, and February and as always we have seats available to give all applicants who complete the CASPA and PSU Secondary a fair opportunity for acceptance. 

Hope that helps!

Caryn Stopper

Director of Admissions

Archived