PENNSYLVANIA: Penn State PA Program 2016-2017

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really late to the game but just submitted my application. What's the thought on submitting so late in the game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its absolutely not too late. I am a second year student and, if I remember correctly, I submitted the CASPA application either on the due date, or only a few days before. The program does truly honor their application deadline, as they save a few spots till the end for people who apply late. 

This is going to be an awful question but I am going to ask it anyway. I received numerous interviews from other schools I have applied and I am yet to hear back from Penn State. I am a very competitive applicant. I applied because my mother works for Penn State. I have heard that this school may require some "clout" to get in. Is this true?

This is going to be an awful question but I am going to ask it anyway. I received numerous interviews from other schools I have applied and I am yet to hear back from Penn State. I am a very competitive applicant. I applied because my mother works for Penn State. I have heard that this school may require some "clout" to get in. Is this true?

Can you be more specific? I am a current second year student, and I am willing to be as honest as I can. I can understand if you do not want to be specific on the forum, so you can send me an email if you like... swyld@hmc.psu.edu. 

I'll have my email open all night, as I am preparing for an end of rotation exam on friday. 

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you! 

Samuel

This is going to be an awful question but I am going to ask it anyway. I received numerous interviews from other schools I have applied and I am yet to hear back from Penn State. I am a very competitive applicant. I applied because my mother works for Penn State. I have heard that this school may require some "clout" to get in. Is this true?

Hi,

I am also a second year, and one with a direct connection with Penn State, HMC, and the College of Medicine. With that said, I feel comfortable speaking to this. I was waitlisted twice before being accepted to the Class of 2017. Which means at least 60 others (30 for each year I applied) were accepted ahead of me. Also, I went out of my way to keep my "connection" from being any sort of influence and wanted my application and interview to speak for me- as I fully believe it did. Our program director truly only picks applicants who she feels will do well in our program and add to its diversity. No "clout" or "connection" can do that. Certainly, there are quite a few current students who are also PSU undergrads or otherwise have ties to the institution, but that does not "make or break" you. So just keep trying to improve YOU! And you will be ready for whatever comes your way!

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't believe that this is the case. I was fortunate to have been accepted this cycle and I truly don't have any "clout" (I am from out of state so when I applied I didn't know a single person who has attended/worked for Penn State or the HMC and I had no possible connections to anyone involved with the program). I do believe the faculty gives each application fair and equal consideration. If you haven't heard anything back yet it means they are still considering your application, so best of luck to you during this process!

With 10,000 Hershey Medical Center employees and 17,000 full-time Penn State University employees, we could fill class upon class for years to come with recommendations from all of the wonderful people connected to this fantastic medical center and institution. Fortunately, for all applicants to Penn State, our holistic review does not award points for 'clout' - applicants earn an interview through their own hard work and merit through our impartial admissions review process. I am always available to speak with prospective applicants should you wish to reach out to me directly. 

Best wishes to you during this competitive admissions cycle.

Caryn Stopper, M.Ed.

Director of Admissions

I'm a first year, awake all night studying for 2 finals tomorrow. I knew no one coming in, and in my 20th hour of being awake today, I can attest to the fact that you need grit to come in and make it through this program, not clout. Knowing the faculty and staff now though, I can tell you that clout isn't even a factor on the radar. If you need a decision from Penn State to help you with your decision from the other schools, particularly as deadlines approach, you can reach out to admissions - they totally understand that happens and are usually more than willing to work with you on it.

• 2 weeks later...

It is most applicants' experiences that an interview invite, if one is to be offered, occurs shortly after submission of a completed secondary application. However, with that said, all applicants are under active consideration until the class has been filled (30 seats) which does not occur until after the last interviews which occur after the close of the application cycle for PSU in mid-January. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the threads from the last two years mentioned interviews as late as February. The timeline for rejection emails to be sent seemed to vary. Class starts in May, so I can't imagine it will be much longer than a few months. Perhaps you can email the program for definitive answers. Things might have changed this year.

Are interview invitations still being sent out? How long is the wait from submitting a supplemental to hearing a rejection?

As far as I know, the timeline for this year is unchanged from the past. However, the variables are how quickly those that are offered acceptances confirm those acceptances and whether anyone who has already accepted withdraws (which will then influence how many spots remain available at the last interview). Once the last interview session is conducted, usually sometime in February, the waitlist will be utilized to fill any spots that open. All applicants typically hear by mid-March. No "rejections" go out prior to the completion of the last interview and the final selections of the class.

Caryn, can you please comment or clarify?

Good Luck everyone!!

Are interview invitations still being sent out? How long is the wait from submitting a supplemental to hearing a rejection?

Penn State will continue to invite candidates to interview through February as our deadline to submit our secondary application is 11:59pm today, January 30, 2017. We will notify all applicants of their status shortly.

Caryn Stopper

Director of Admssions

I just turned my secondary application in last month in January. They emailed and said interview would be held in February. I still have not heard anything. Has anyone had any interviews scheduled for February? Also, do they email you about the interview, or call you? I would appreciate any info. Thanks!

Archived