PENNSYLVANIA: Penn State PA Program 2016-2017

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JAGardner,

Did you choose the option of having the program expedite your decision because of the other school? I was afraid of using this option in case they were on the fence about me, I did not want to rush them. But I really want to go here. I also have another program and I need to start making choices.

I receive phone calls from telemarketers so I'm constantly deciding whether to answer the phone or not! Lol.

Hello everyone,

I wanted to clear up the confusion about Penn State's waitlist process. The waitlist is started with the very first interviews in August. Students who are interviewed are accepted and waitlisted on a rolling basis through the very last interviews. This is so that those candidates who interview later in the cycle are always garunteed to be interviewing for an open spot in the class. To put it simply, applicants can be waitlisted even before the class is filled.

For example, I was waitlisted both cycles I applied. The first time I applied, I interviewed in November. The second time I applied, I interviewed in the very first group in August. Both times I was waitlisted but both times I was interviewing for an open seat in the program.

I understand that this is not how most programs create their waitlist but our program feels very strongly about giving applicants throughout the admission cycle an opportunity to interview for an actual spot, and not the waitlist. Hopefully this makes sense and answers some questions.

If not, keep the questions coming! We will respond honestly and as best as possible. Continued luck to all on your journeys to becoming a PA!

Hello everyone (but especially waitlisters),

Again, to clarify and provide transparency, Penn State does not rank its waitlist. As those of you who interviewed and had an opportunity to watch/participate in our TBL sessions hopefully know, our program strives for as diverse a class as possible. It is how the TBL approach is most successful. With that said, your being chosen off the waitlist depends not only on IF someone gives up his/her spot but also on WHAT characteristics and qualities that person would have brought to the class. Worded differently, open spots will be filled from the waitlist by the candidate that will best compliment the remainder of the class.

As always, hope this helps.

As the Director of Admissions for the Penn State PA program, I'd like to respond to the conversation regarding our wait list process in an effort to help everyone best understand. I disagree with the stance that our admissions committee fills open slots from the wait list based on the notion that we try to replicate or replace qualities that a recently withdrawn student possessed with that of a wait-listed candidate. 

Candidates on the wait list are ranked when the need arises and candidates wait-listed are ranked by their achieved overall score - this achieved overall score is determined prior to any rankings taking place. This is a score earned through our holistic review pre-interview day and post-interview day. Therefore a candidate's score and subsequent ranking received is not based on what type of student withdrew in order for a seat to become available. 

I can say this confidently from first hand experience leading the admissions committee - Each candidate is looked at from a holistic standpoint and the discussion surrounding how our committee will rank wait listed candidates is based on previously earned scores and what each candidate uniquely brings to the table, not how similar a candidate is to someone else that recently withdrew. This is a non-factor in our process. 

Thank you and best wishes to everyone!

Caryn

Thank you, Caryn! I appreciate the clarification as well. And, from a student perspective, I can attest that the entire admissions process is one the program takes very seriously.

Again, feel free to post your questions. Speaking for myself, if you chose to messsge me directly, I will maintain your privacy however will respond publicly for the benefit of all.

Best of luck!

Hello!

Will Penn State send out rejection letters? I still haven't heard back for an interview. I'm assuming the last interview has not yet been conducted?

I am able to confirm that all interview sessions have been held. However, I cannot speak to whether decisions have been made from the most recent interviews.

I am also not sure how the notification process works for those that did not receive interviews as, fortunately, I never had that experience. You may find your answer by reading through the forum thread from last cycle.

As this admission cycle winds down, and some of you may be considering gearing up to apply again, I encourage everyone, especially if you just recently found the forum, to read back through this entire thread as well as threads from previous cycles. Doing so may answer some of your questions as well as give you a pretty good sense of how our admission process works.

Also, speaking of the next admission cycle, it is never too early to start preparing to apply again!! Even if you have not heard back from Penn State (or other schools you may be interested in), always be working on ways you can strengthen your application and set yourself apart as a unique candidate.

We will continue to respond to posts on this thread until we get a new one up and running for the 2017-18 cycle (likely late spring/early summer). So keep your questions and comments coming!

Hi all, I am a member of the class of 2017 at Penn State. I haven't posted on here in a while, so I thought I would take an opportunity to direct future applicants to my blog at PAJourney.com. I created the blog as a way to give back to students who are interested in the PA profession. It contains a journal of my experiences in PA school as well as advice on the application/interview process. In general, I try to make every post advice-driven. I hope you find it useful and encouraging on your own journey.

If you are waiting to hear back from Penn State, best of luck to you. Candidates have been pulled from the wait-list as late as the week before school, so there is always hope. It is a fantastic program, and I hope you can be a part of it.

Feel free to message me on here (be forewarned, though, that I don't check it that often).

Best of luck!

-John

pajourney,

I read your blog last year as I was going through the application process and found it insightful. Thank you.

I loved my interview day at Penn State and was disappointed that I did not sell myself well enough to be offered a seat as I was waitlisted. I really enjoyed the TBL class and the lunch period where we had the opportunity to speak to current students.

I am hopeful, but either way I know that life has a funny way of placing you where you are meant to be.

Best of luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear good news.

Cecilia

Archived