What to ask PA program director??

I'm reading this book by Andrew Rodican about how to get into PA school and he suggests getting an interview with the PA program director. But he doesn't say what to ask or talk to them about? A lot of my questions can be answered on the web site or by admissions counselors. Any ideas on what to talk to them about? He said it helps put a face to a name.

Thanks!

Go to an open house. Many times the director will be present and you will have the opportunity to speak to him/her in a more informal setting.

I would only insist on face time if I was concerned about something in the program. Perhaps the stability of the leadership if the program was new or in transition, or if there had been issues with the curriculum or accreditation. Or maybe if I had a question about the philosophy of the school/program. Those are the kinds of big-picture things that might be better answered by the head honcho.

YMMV, and as a student I know my director is always available to me. But I also know he's incredibly busy and I respect his valuable time.

• 1 month later...

Ask about speaking to graduates from the past 1-5 years. That way you can get a perspective on what they thought of the program and how well it prepared them for the work world. You may also be able to get a perspective of the program's reputation as compared to others because these graduates may work for employers who have hired grads from other programs.

Don't ask questions if you don't have genuine questions. It's usually obvious, and you run the danger of asking a question that they already answer or is easily acessible on the website. It happened to a guy at one inteview I went to and the staff member got annoyed. If you want your face to be remebered, just say thank you and shake a hand or two. Appropriate eye contact for the win.

On a side note contrarian, I did ask one set of interviewers at one of the (much) more expensive schools how spending the extra 40k over another school I had already been accepted to would make me a better PA. To their credit they actually really liked the question and said so! I pretty much knew the answer (paying for the name mostly, though they phrased it in a less crass fashion) and I was feeling a bit ballsy since I had already decided not to attend. Got waitlisted there so lol :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Archived