Would the programs care?

I will be submitting my application to five schools that do not require the GRE and require a cGPA less than 3.0 tomorrow to see what CASPA generates my cGPA to be. I need to know what my CASPA calculated cGPA is before applying to schools that require ac GPA of atleast 3.0 so that I do not waste my time or money. After taking the GRE on May 28th I should probably be receiving my calculated CASPA cGPA and will then be able to decide upon applying to programs that require a 3.0 cGPA and GRE. In regards to the experience section I will need to update and reenter current volunteer, health care, and shadowing experiences again (duplicate with new dates) in order to be current. I feel schools will look at this and know that I have applied earlier in the cycle. Does this matter? 

Thanks in advance!

(I know its bad to have a borderline cGPA so please don't comment about this)

You will not get your CASPA calculated GPAs until you are verified. Be sure to check the CASPA website as to what can be added or changed after you are verified.

It may be more prudent to use the CASPA grade calculations posted on their website (and discussed on this forum ad nauseum) to figure your GPA first. Then submit when you have everything.

But it's up to you. Due diligence, and all.

I have calculated my GPAs however I am still worried about CASPA calculating it. I am borderline above 3.0, but I do not want to apply to more programs that require a 3.0 or higher and waste my money when I come to find that CASPA has calculated my GPA to be below the minimum requirement. In order to be verified I would need to submit my app, thus risking a loss in a lot of money. 

You can submit your application for verification with only one school and find out.  Adding other schools later costs the same as if you did them all at once (you don't need to go ahead and pay for 5 with your initial submission).  

Thank you AliB, in regards to updating current experiences I would need to add those experiences in again with new dates. Schools will be able to see this and know I have applied earlier in the cycle plus it will confuse my app even more for anyone reading it. Will they care knowing I have applied earlier in the cycle? 

I honestly don't know why they would care.  Very very few applicants apply to only one school.  Given the competitiveness, schools are well aware that applicants apply to multiple schools.  In fact, if you are interviewed, there are some schools that ask what other programs you are considering.  Their motivation may be suspect, but it could also be because they want to know what schools you consider them on a par with.  FWIW, I had no real issue with the question, although I was a bit cagey in my reply.  In any case, I had no reservations sharing what appealed to me, personally, about the various programs where I applied.  Consider, too, the whole wait list concept.  Schools have wait lists because they anticipate that at least some of the offers they extend are going to be rejected by students who have chosen another program (a couple of programs also asked me for feedback when I rejected their interview or their offer to attend).  When you interview, you should be interviewing the program for a good fit for you just as much as they are interviewing you as a fit for their program.  

I will say that option wasn't available when I applied ... people had to update each school individually and directly.  

Bottom line, while the subsequent programs would be able to ascertain that you applied to at least one other school prior to submitting to them, they don't know when or how many or which program(s), nor do they know why.  You could be applying to additional schools in a subsequent month(s) due to financial constraints, for example.  You might have delayed applying to their program because you were strengthening your application with those additional experiences, etc.  While they might (only might) interpret that they were not your "first choice", they can't know that for sure, AND they are highly unlikely to be assessing your application on that kind of minutiae.  

Thank you AliB, in regards to updating current experiences I would need to add those experiences in again with new dates. Schools will be able to see this and know I have applied earlier in the cycle plus it will confuse my app even more for anyone reading it. Will they care knowing I have applied earlier in the cycle? 

Depending on when you submit to the second round of schools - they might care.  It could look like you applied for one round, didn't get in anywhere, and then decided to add some more programs to your list to up your chances.  With you already being borderline GPA wise, you might not be a strong enough candidate for them to overlook the fact that you didn't apply to them initially. 

When I applied, I remember the the edit function being pretty limited. I'm not sure why you wouldn't just enter all of your info, have a completed app and then submit to one school to get verified. You can then easily add more schools after without having to "change" things and worry about the perception (which no one on here will really know how ad coms at various schools will view that). The application has complex rules and restricted editing for a reason. Good luck and I hope all works out for you!

• Administrator

Based on how competitive PA schools are in general, I'm not sure that applying with a 3.02 to a 3.0 school isn't already wasting your time, unfortunately.  Be sure to look at the profile of typically accepted students, not just minimums.

When I applied, I remember the the edit function being pretty limited. I'm not sure why you wouldn't just enter all of your info, have a completed app and then submit to one school to get verified. You can then easily add more schools after without having to "change" things and worry about the perception (which no one on here will really know how ad coms at various schools will view that). The application has complex rules and restricted editing for a reason. Good luck and I hope all works out for you!

Understandable, I just would like to obtain my calculated GPA then go from their. Immediately after receiving my cGPA I would apply to other schools. Am I confused? I thought in order to be verified you have to submit atleast one application and pay. After submitting the app is verified after about four weeks and you receive your calculated GPAs?

Based on how competitive PA schools are in general, I'm not sure that applying with a 3.02 to a 3.0 school isn't already wasting your time, unfortunately.  Be sure to look at the profile of typically accepted students, not just minimums.

Please see last sentence of initial post, thanks for the input though.

Understandable, I just would like to obtain my calculated GPA then go from their. Immediately after receiving my cGPA I would apply to other schools. Am I confused? I thought in order to be verified you have to submit atleast one application and pay. After submitting the app is verified after about four weeks and you receive your calculated GPAs?

I think the point was more - just enter all your experience, dates, etc once.  Be done.  Once you're verified and have your CASPA GPA, then just add schools to apply to - there shouldn't be a need to re-enter/duplicate your work/volunteer/experiences.  Complete your app, select a school to apply to, and submit.  Once you have your GPA and decide if you want to apply to other schools, you should just need to select and pay for them in CASPA...not edit your info.

I think the point was more - just enter all your experience, dates, etc once.  Be done.  Once you're verified and have your CASPA GPA, then just add schools to apply to - there shouldn't be a need to re-enter/duplicate your work/volunteer/experiences.  Complete your app, select a school to apply to, and submit.  Once you have your GPA and decide if you want to apply to other schools, you should just need to select and pay for them in CASPA...not edit your info.

Im still confused I apologize, I can choose to only apply to the one and wait to hear about my GPA then apply to the rest? I am trying to avoid paying money and then finding out my GPA does not meet the requirements. 

Archived