Are my grades a problem and how do I explain them?

I am applying to 6 different PA schools, and according to my transcript (not CASPA) I have a 3.23 GPA. The first time I took both Organic Chemistry and Molecular Biology I made Ds. I took them again and made Cs in both. Then, the first time I took Cell Biology I failed it, took it again and made a B. I also made a D in Genetics the first time, and took it again and made a B. I know, that's a lot of hiccups. I also have about 3 more Cs in science classes. I have no excuses. Nothing traumatic happened or anything like that. They were just courses that I struggled with. I have always maintained a job and taken 15+ hours of class since I started college. Does this make my application invalid, and if not how do I explain this in my essay? Thanks!

How do you have a 3.23 with so many D's and C's? Even that seems high considering the grades. You should definitely calculate your CASPA gpa and especially your science gpa because it seems like those are the classes that you did poorly in. In any case, there are a ton of posts on here that show that a low gpa can be overcome. It will definitely be a red flag as most of those classes sound like prerequisite classes for most PA schools. However if you have strong HCE, volunteering, letters of rec, etc then you may still have a shot. You'll just need to make sure your application is exceptional in these other parts. If it is not, I would recommend not applying this time around and instead working on improving those and retaking at least some of the prerequisite classes at a community college or other university and getting A's in them. Keep in mind that most schools have a minimum gpa requirement and they go based off of the CASPA calculated gpa so you may want to verify that you actually meet their requirements. As for your essay, you should absolutely address it because it will come up in any interviews but just try to highlight the fact that you were working and taking a large courseload. It would be better if you could retake the classes and get an A because then you can explain that you have since changed your study habits and learned how to be successful academically.

Your application isn't invalid...but you do really need to figure our your CASPA GPA.  Your school likely did grade replacement for your retakes - CASPA does not so your CASPA GPA is likely lower.  If you find that anything is under a 3.0....you will find that a lot of programs won't even look at your app.

You will have a hard time impressing programs with less than stellar grades (and less than stellar retakes) in some key science courses.  Your best bet, from what I can see, is proving that you've learned how to manage your time, how to study, and that you take your classes seriously.  I understand the need to work during school, but that's not going to fly as an excuse/reason for poor grades.  You may need to retake those classes (and get A's) to prove that you do know the material.  Take one at a time if you have to so you can give it the focus it deserves.  It won't significantly help your GPA, but it will prove to schools that you actually learned the material.

Another thing to take into consideration is how you will do in PA school. The prereqs and grade requirements aren't just arbitrary hoops to jump through, they are there to be sure students have a good science foundation and will do well in the program. If you have struggled in these basic courses, it might be worth retaking them to ensure you know the material and to be sure you will do well in the program.

• Administrator

To answer the questions you posed in your subject:

1) Yes, those grades are a problem.

2) You don't explain the low grades, you fix them.  Without a solid science GPA (especially in the prerequisite, most recent, and highest level classes), PA schools will not find you a competitive candidate.  No amount of A's in non-science courses will make up for a lame science GPA.

Archived