Test Scores (MCAT)

I was going to attach my MCAT scores to my application - and I went to AMCAS to have them released to CASPA. 

It seems as though if I agree to release, then all of my scores will be available to CASPA? 

I did poorly the first time around, and was interested in including my second time score that was much improved.

Does anyone know if agreeing to release my scores will make both of my attempts available to schools, or just the score that I self-report on the application?

• Administrator

Do not release MCAT scores to CASPA.  Why would you?  It marks you as someone who was VERY SERIOUS about going to med school, and will make all of the "Why not med school?" questions that much tougher for you to answer in a manner which will get you into PA school.

PA school admissions process is NOT just about picking the most capable candidates--it's also about excluding those who will be unhappy as PAs and should more appropriately be in med school instead.  Don't set yourself up for failure by disclosing MCAT scores.

During the medical school application process it is advisable to take the MCAT as early as practically possible; however you want to take the MCAT when you feel well prepared. The MCAT is not a test to take “for practice” because all MCAT scores are released to medical schools when you submit an application. There is no option to withhold any MCAT scores from release to medical schools.

From: http://www.brynmawr.edu/healthpro/medicine/MCATinfo.html

via 2 minute Google-fu

• Administrator

http://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/pa/admissions/

Here, it says they strongly encourage submission...

And? In briefly scanning that page, I don't see anywhere where it said a strong MCAT would actually HELP your admission process.

Why wouldn't they want to know that you're potentially "not that serious" about applying to PA school?  Pretty sure they can't compel you to disclose MCAT scores, since they're not for PA program admission.

http://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/pa/admissions/

Here, it says they strongly encourage submission...

UIowa is a unique situation because (supposedly) the PA program is run very parallel/combined with their MD program.  If that's the only school you want to apply to, go for it.  If you plan on applying to several other programs, heed Rev's advice - you WILL get questions about why not med school much harder than normal candidates.

Most PA candidates have that time where they decide which route to go but very few are ever serious enough to attempt taking the MCAT.  That you made it that far in the process means you probably considered med school more seriously than most.

FWIW, NOT having an MCAT score absolutely will not hurt you anywhere.

Archived