Update on stats. Just took GRE and they're not good.

Ok, so I just took the GRE and the outcome was not good. V145 Q148 

I was surprised to see that my Verbal was so low, but in one of the segments, the time got ahead of me and I made the mistake of reading some of the passages before looking at the questions. I basically had to guess on about 4 questions. 

Now, here is the problem. I understand I can retake in 21 days, and I am still thinking about it, but I also want to get my app in early as I have heard countless times that it is very important. 

I also will add that my other stats or pretty good, or atleast I think they are. 

cGPA: 3.63

sGPA: 3.71

HCE: >12,000 (Hospital Corpsman FMF, Deployed to Afghanistan, Medical Lab Tech)

I also have about 100 hours of volunteer service

strong PS, and 5 LORs two of which are PAs. 

I will mostly be applying to programs that generally do not weigh GREs very heavily. These include MEDEX, OHSU, U of Utah (doesnt even require GRE). But may have to consider pulling my app out of Midwestern U, and possibly Duke. 

What do you guys think?

You could file on schedule and then prepare better for the GRE. Download and go through their math book this time. Then you can assess the results and decide whether or not to notify the schools that you have new scores. The rest of your grades, experience, etc look very good.

From my experience Duke takes a LONG time to review apps.  Like, I was CASPA verified in June and didn't get an invite until November for a December interview.  You've got time to retake it- really just aim for that over 300 mark.

Don't count school out yet if you're willing to retake the GRE.  If you don't want to retake it, then yea, don't apply to schools that require it.

Appreciate everybodies input. I think I will retake it again. I also have to wait for my spring semester grades to post (All As) and that wont be until May 24th. So really I am gonna have to wait a minute for those transcripts to get sent in, so either way I might as well retake the GRE. 

-Greg

I understand. I contacted several programs and OHSU and MEDEX specifically told me that they don't weigh GRE much and its basically supplemental information. They said, they would not reject an applicant based solely on their GRE scores. Either way I have rescheduled the exam for the 27th. hopefully I can get a little extra study time in.

Looks like you already have your answer and have made a decision, but I'll give my 0.2 anyway.

If you plan to retake the GRE wait to apply to schools that ask for your score.  A lot of schools basically use the GRE as a cutoff before even looking at your application, and 300 is a pretty standard cutoff.  So, while they may say they don't weigh GRE scores much, do they mean they don't weigh them once you meet the cutoff?  As in, you score a 301 vs. a 330 it doesn't matter because you beat the benchmark?

I have looked through this forum for the answer to this question but have not yet seen it.  I am a solid applicant GPA/HCE wise but did not perform well on the GRE (147 V, 147 Q) I want to retake the GRE but do not want to wait to send my applications.  On some of the applications on CASPA there are spaces to fill in answers to questions such as "are you currently taking any prerequisite courses".

Would it be appropriate to disclose that I am not taking any prerequisite courses in this section but I will be retaking the GRE in June? Or should I just leave it out completely and send the scores when I retake it?

I have looked through this forum for the answer to this question but have not yet seen it.  I am a solid applicant GPA/HCE wise but did not perform well on the GRE (147 V, 147 Q) I want to retake the GRE but do not want to wait to send my applications.  On some of the applications on CASPA there are spaces to fill in answers to questions such as "are you currently taking any prerequisite courses".

Would it be appropriate to disclose that I am not taking any prerequisite courses in this section but I will be retaking the GRE in June? Or should I just leave it out completely and send the scores when I retake it?

I'd be willing to answer this when you ask it in an original thread, instead of hijacking someone else's.

No you do not need to add any comments that you are planning to retake your GRE again. GRE is a separate process where you would have to pay ETS to send your scores to individual schools. Keep GRE out of pre-requisite courses.

I'd be willing to answer this when you ask it in an original thread, instead of hijacking someone else's.

I did post in in an original thread...No answers.   I don't understand why some people on PA forum get so nasty. Is it really that big of a deal?

I did post in in an original thread...No answers.   I don't understand why some people on PA forum get so nasty. Is it really that big of a deal?

You *just* posted 12 hours ago...give it time.  It wasn't a nasty remark, it was just addressing forum protocol.  The whole point of having forums, subforums, and individual topic threads is to keep things organized and less confusing.  Posting new, mildly related questions, under someone else's thread is kind of a big deal.  If everyone did it, it would be a mess.

If people are having a conversation and you just butt in and try and take it over, that would be rude. If some one calls you on it, that may be "nasty", but appropriate.

You *just* posted 12 hours ago...give it time.  It wasn't a nasty remark, it was just addressing forum protocol.  The whole point of having forums, subforums, and individual topic threads is to keep things organized and less confusing.  Posting new, mildly related questions, under someone else's thread is kind of a big deal.  If everyone did it, it would be a mess.

Understood. I was unaware that it was inappropriate to do this as I see it on many other threads.  Thanks for addressing it with an explanation.  I apologize. 

Ok so now that the above is resolved, I wanted to ask another question.

Since I have decided to take the test again (scheduled for 27th), I am curious about how and when I need to verify.

I am applying to some schools that don't require the GRE and some that do, so can I simply apply to all non-GRE scores, and then apply later to schools that require the GRE, once my new scores (hopefully they're better) arrive?

My concern is that I have heard multiple times that even non-GRE schools will look at your GRE score if you self-reported it in CASPA. I am trying to avoid this and submit to non-GRE scores, then later put in my scores.

This GRE-CASPA thing is a bit confusing, and the website is loaded with so much info its hard to interpret it properly, just asking for a bit of clarification.

-Greg

If you self report GRE scored to CASPA, it's on your profile and can be viewed by every program.

However, if schools don't use GRE for admissions, then it isn't scored by their adcom. The admissions process isn't a "like" or "dislike" process. Adcoms score the parts of your application based on their weighted criteria to decide who to invite for interviews. If a school doesn't take GRE into consideration, then don't worry about it.

You don't decide when you are verified. You decide when you submit and you then get in line with everyone else. Since you are waiting for your grades and GRE at the end of May, just submit when your grades are in, or your GRE is done, whichever is latest.

Late May/ early June is still plenty early in the cycle. You are just fine.

Thank you so much for the clarification. Now I just need to make sure I get better scores on my GRE. I ordered the 5 pound magoosh study book and just plan to take practice test, after practice test from here until the 27th. HOpefully that will be able to raise my score  wee bit, so I dont stand out. 

THanks for everybodies help!

-Greg

Archived