PA Career Longevity

I'm in the very early stages of considering going into a PA program. Briefly I'm 39, and 40 soon. Occupational Therapy assistant the last 4 years of life. I have a BFA in film and photography and an A.A.S. in occupational therapy assisting. I know I've got some work to go in the prereq department and the shadowing and with my current life situation I know it will be a steep climb. So my question is What's the lifespan of PA career? The earliest I could see my degree being completed is by the time I'm 45 giving me maybe 25-30 years of work left depending.  Do people usually practice in this career until their 60s and 70s? We all know Doctors do, but obviously that is a different deal. 

Just meaning that MDs are a different profession with more autonomy so they can practice out of their home or whatever the standard is in their state. But my impression of a PA is that you have to find a Doc (or be assigned? Depending on employer?) to be on the license of that doc and I didn't know how common it was for young doc to supervise old PA. Maybe this is my midlife crisis talking

PAs have their own licenses, but have to work in conjunction with a physician through a delegation of services agreement. at 4 out of 6 of my current jobs I work alone and never see the doc. at the other 2 I work double coverage and rarely with my collaborating physician of record.

Just meaning that MDs are a different profession with more autonomy so they can practice out of their home or whatever the standard is in their state. But my impression of a PA is that you have to find a Doc (or be assigned? Depending on employer?) to be on the license of that doc and I didn't know how common it was for young doc to supervise old PA. Maybe this is my midlife crisis talking

Since I'm over 50 and I'm a student ... with my PA career ahead of me ... and in my previous professional life I was supervising and managing people twice my age at the time ... it NEVER crossed my mind that I could only work with a collaborating physician that was older than me!  :)  Both of the docs I have already lined up (yes, you can have more than one collaborating physician) for after I graduate are younger than me.  Some PAs are also practice owners in their own right and/or practice in MANY different settings, including concierge medicine, for example.  

Interesting! I guess my ignorance is showing on that process. I assumed or had been lead to believe that a PA practiced "on the license" of a physician and that ultimately the physician was responsible for the actions and direction of that practice. The whole physician extender thing.

Since I'm over 50 and I'm a student ... with my PA career ahead of me ... and in my previous professional life I was supervising and managing people twice my age at the time ... it NEVER crossed my mind that I could only work with a collaborating physician that was older than me!  :)  Both of the docs I have already lined up (yes, you can have more than one collaborating physician) for after I graduate are younger than me.  Some PAs are also practice owners in their own right and/or practice in MANY different settings, including concierge medicine, for example.  

Really? I've never heard of a PA in concierge medicine. That would be awesome.

• Administrator

I don't think anyone can answer that question.  We have a whole sea change in the demographics, and that's not all settled out yet.  An increase (and not a small one) in the number of female providers means more PAs will be leaving the workforce to care for families, certainly moreso than the original PAs.  The question isn't so much "how long will you be allowed to work as a PA?" but more along the lines of "how long can you stand to work as a PA?"

I will probably "work" until at least 67 and then continue to practice part time, at free clinics, and on disaster teams as long as I can. I know a doc who still volunteers regularly at a free clinic in his late 80s. . I want to be him someday...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived