Quick Question

Quick question, I found out my genetics course is online and I am concerned this will effect my application. I have not seen schools stating a course, besides English and labs, cannot be online. Unfortunately, there is always that chance that stuff like that can impact my application. Just a thought..

• Administrator

So?  If it's online, it's online.  If you have such an otherwise perfect app that you want to take it in person and have the time and money, go for it.  Everything in life comes with tradeoffs, but I wouldn't lose a whole lot of sleep over online non-lab coursework.

• Administrator

Most transcripts don't differentiate online vs in person. There is no reason for the school to know it was online unless you tell them.

I believe it's a field on CASPA now, actually.

Just my two cents... Genetics is a course you're going to want to attend lecture for. Unless you're really patient learning it on your own. 

I have no doubt that was your experience, but it was not mine.  I did an undergrad independent study in genetics, and as an IT person, I found the transmission rules and logic pretty straightforward

Thank you! I honestly have no other choice other than taking it online due to certain policies regarding certain science majors. I have to take a physio lab too, but it is online and not human physiology and is the only lab I can take that is provided by my school. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have another concern regarding my physiology lab. My school does not offer any human physiology lab at all. There is only one physiology lab which is a general physiology lab, but again it is not a human physiology course. Also it is a virtual lab as well, but it is in a classroom. Should I even waste my time with it? I contacted one school and they are adamant in me taking a physiology lab. But another school will take other labs that equate to human physiology. 

You may have to put in the work and either email or contact the program via phone to see if all the schools you are applying to will take the course. You don't want to waste your money and apply without checking and find out they will not take the course.

I took my human anatomy and physiology 2 with lab online, they were actual labs and not virtual labs and I contacted each school I applied to make sure they were ok with it. Some schools didn't take the course but most did, so it was a decision I was willing to make. I didn't feel like I was short changed by taking the course online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived