Logging Volunteer Hours

So I volunteered for a local hospital in the post surgical unit for a couple months. I called recently to get exact hours and since it has been over 6 years they do not hold on to the record. The volunteer coordinator did not remember me as she only set up what department we would be in and there after I did not see her again. I do not know how I could prove these hours if in case a school requested proof. I don't want to lose these hours but I don't want a school to think I am lying in case I can't prove it either. Any advice?

I wouldn't agonize over it.  Make a reasonable approximation and explain (simply) in the description.  I've been salaried for so many years, pretty much ALL of my hours in CASPA were approximated (other than my shadowing).  e.g., most of my HCE was in a hospital that's been closed more than 20 years.  I certainly didn't keep paycheck records from that long ago either!  In CASPA, I put the approximate hours, and along with the description of my duties, the last thing I included was, in parentheses, that the facility was no longer in operation.  I would have been challenged to do more than find someone to confirm that I indeed worked there - confirming actual hours would have been impossible.  

• Upvote 1

If you don't have proof it's going to be very difficult to prove that you voluntereed those hours. Aside from the volunteer coordinator did you have someone you reported to? Their signature may be enough to provide proof that you completed these hours. For CASPA it probably won't be a big deal but after acceptance my school asked me for HCE verification. I knew I was going to have a hard time proving my HCE as I served in the military and most people that I served with we're either retired, discharged, or in another duty station. Having my discharge papers was enough in my case and they did not require any additional proof.

Thank you for your response. Also I have worked with a health screening company that had free community health fairs. I used finger stick method to provided cholesterol, triglycerides and glucose values to the participants as well as height, weight and BMI. One school's advisor for the PA program told me this would  NOT count as healthcare experience. Could anyone give me opinions as to why not?

• Administrator

Thank you for your response. Also I have worked with a health screening company that had free community health fairs. I used finger stick method to provided cholesterol, triglycerides and glucose values to the participants as well as height, weight and BMI. One school's advisor for the PA program told me this would  NOT count as healthcare experience. Could anyone give me opinions as to why not?

Because those really aren't invasive procedures and you're not independently responsible for treating the patients, not even per protocol.  Many schools will count that sort of experience, however, so don't hesitate to ask around.

Based on my lab experience, it's probably because it's 'waived' testing.  If you're just using fingerstick samples, it's likely POC testing that requires little to no training.  You probably weren't analyzing the results, likely not responsible for counseling the patients, and weighing a person/measuring their height isn't really....impressive?  A nurse may do POC testing or take weights, but it's the other duties that make it patient care experience.  An MA or CNA may do them as well, but again, they typically have many more duties.  

Based on my lab experience, it's probably because it's 'waived' testing.  If you're just using fingerstick samples, it's likely POC testing that requires little to no training.  You probably weren't analyzing the results, likely not responsible for counseling the patients, and weighing a person/measuring their height isn't really....impressive?  A nurse may do POC testing or take weights, but it's the other duties that make it patient care experience.  An MA or CNA may do them as well, but again, they typically have many more duties.  

We used cholestech machines mostly. But we did educate the participants of what values meant and lifestyle changes that could assist in improving said values. But I guess I guess like Rev Ronin said it wasn't treatment or invasive. 

Because those really aren't invasive procedures and you're not independently responsible for treating the patients, not even per protocol.  Many schools will count that sort of experience, however, so don't hesitate to ask around.

Thank you, yes I also went to another universities pa program which DID count the experience as healthcare experience. It makes me a little worried of applying to university which said it wouldn't  though. =(

Hi laura,

It is best to list them in the correct category to the best of your knowledge, and then be prepared to back up why. I think it is health care experience personally and would list it that way.

What is considered impressive or not or healthcare or not to some others on this board could be considered differently by those looking at your app.

Good luck.

Your schools are going to have varying opinions on the category of the experience; at the end of the day it doesn't matter which category it is listed under as much as if you have met the minimum requirements of the program based upon what category THEY will put it under.

So for example if you list this under patient care and school A is ok with it and school B isn't, it doesn't matter for school B that you listed it under patient care as long as when they deduct those hours from their own patient care consideration you still make their minimum patient care hour requirements with other experiences. If you don't, you may want to bulk up with some additional experiences or consider not applying to that particular program.

Your schools are going to have varying opinions on the category of the experience; at the end of the day it doesn't matter which category it is listed under as much as if you have met the minimum requirements of the program based upon what category THEY will put it under.

So for example if you list this under patient care and school A is ok with it and school B isn't, it doesn't matter for school B that you listed it under patient care as long as when they deduct those hours from their own patient care consideration you still make their minimum patient care hour requirements with other experiences. If you don't, you may want to bulk up with some additional experiences or consider not applying to that particular program.

Hi laura,

It is best to list them in the correct category to the best of your knowledge, and then be prepared to back up why. I think it is health care experience personally and would list it that way.

What is considered impressive or not or healthcare or not to some others on this board could be considered differently by those looking at your app.

Good luck.

Thank you guys, I very much appreciate everyones advice. 

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...