Resignation Notice

I intend on leaving my job in a little over 2 months to relocate to a new city. I did not sign a contract with my current hospital and no where in their handbook is any info on how much notice they require. I've heard the standard is 60 days notice but I am currently scheduled on a month to month basis and my schedule for May is yet to be completed. Do I wait until I am scheduled thru May to give my notice or just do it now and hope that in good faith (they literally don't have anyone else who could cover my shifts) they let me fulfil whatever shifts they assign in May. I'm anxious to give my notice but know I have to with an absolute minimum of 4wks if I want to leave on good terms. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no telling what will happen when you give your notice. When I have done so, I decided to do what I thought was right and not sweat what the employer would do.

If it were me, I would tell them ASAP. It would light a fire under them to hire someone in your place and perhaps give you a chance to train them. 

As others have stated, your best bet is to do it in a timely manner. If they decide to fire you on the spot, I believe that may be grounds for wrongful termination. Some contracts may require the employer to give notice to the employee as well unless a set clauses excludes the warrant for notice due to employee behavior.

Giving ample notice may also be seem as favorable by the employer, since they have to find a new person.

Of course there is always that YMMV.

• Administrator

This will vary by state.  Professionalism is a mutual expectation, so if your employer has unilaterally changed working conditions on you, then you are in no way required to give more notice than mandated by state law.  In fact, I would encourage you to do so, to get rid of this nonsensical asymmetrical obligation, should that prove to have been your case.

Give minimum 60 days notice.

An old contract required me to give 120 days - that truly sucked.

Be professional. State your last day of service and ask to speak with those who can help your departure - HR, payroll, long term benefit transfer, etc. Ask for a disposition on how to end your final day - who follows labs, radiology, etc. 

Yep, they can tell you to scoot sooner but sounds like they are in dire need.

Take the high road, smile, be polite and then RUN.

My very old 2 cents.....

Archived