Interview attire

I wore a black pant suit to all my interviews but I did notice a lot of women also wore skirt suits. Stick with black, navy, or grey suits and a neutral color blouse. Also, only wear heels if you're used to them, otherwise they can make your interview day pretty exhausting.

apthepa.blogspot.com

I did take points off for idiotic high heels in snow. 

Lately at graduations we are the faculty sitting in front, and we have betting pools on the highest high heels and the chances of tripping on stage.   So when someone comes across we say "five inches!" and then watch closely.  It would be interesting to correlate with orthopedic problems five years into the job.  Just lack of common sense. 

Heels make no sense in any part of medicine, in my opinion.

I don't wear dresses or skirts either - part of me - but also dumb when it comes to crawling on the floor to examine a toddler or sitting on a stool to examine an ankle.

I don't like monochrome suits and bland pale shirts - wear a purple shirt or a funky tie or a bright pink jacket - be yourself.

No cleavage, no saggy pants, iron stuff - but be yourself. It's all you've got.

I wore  brightly colored tops with my pantsuit (and for some of the interviews wore dark pants and a light jacket).  I also left in my multiple cartilage piercings (studs, not hoops; not super noticeable, but not hidden either).  Got accepted to 4 of the schools I interviewed at.  Personally, if a school rejected me for how I look, it wasn't a school I'd want to attend; I didn't want to go somewhere that wants all cookie cutter students, there are far more important qualities to judge applicants based on.  

I wore a nice, boring suit that I had from an internship in D.C., but kept my funky rings on and brought my brightly colored hippy purse with me.  As fakingpatience said, I had no interest in attending a school that wouldn't accept me based on my style, since that is reflection of my personality.  I even had a couple of positive comments about my purse... so it definitely got me noticed.  

Your best bet is to look professional, but be comfortable/keep true to your style since it will probably affect your behavior during the interview.

Archived