Physical Therapist to PA... crazy or brilliant?

Hello all, I'm brand new to posting on this forum but have been lurking for a little while. Here's a bit about my situation. I'm a physical therapist; I received my DPT two years ago and have been practicing in outpatient orthopedics since then. I'm in my mid-20's, and due to a terrific set of circumstances I have no student loans or debt. A couple months ago I realized that the field of PT is not satisfying me the way I thought it would, and I find myself really desiring to be able to treat patients more comprehensively other than simply addressing the musculoskeletal system thru mostly biomechanical means. Despite going to school for 7 years (DPT is 3 years) post-high school, even things such as ordering/reading imaging and prescribing medications is out of my scope of practice. I'm very frustrated with this, and I don't foresee my field changing any time soon.

Enter PA studies. PA really seems to be exactly what I've always wanted to do. I've decided that I'm going to apply for PA school for either class of 2020 or 2021, allowing myself a couple years to stock away savings to avoid taking more student loans than I have to. 

Here's my question: has anyone taken my route before? DPT to PA? Does anyone have advice for my circumstances or anything to offer in terms of advice? Are my chances for getting into school decent?

Thanks so much!

I think this sounds great from reading your post.  Clearly you have found that you actually really want to be a PA and just took a little different journey in order to find that out.  I think PA admissions and schools would like to see that you believe you have now found your calling with PA school and the previous experience as an actual physical therapist will look and be great prior to attending PA school.  Just do your pre-reqs, shadow some PAs, and maybe some volunteer/community service at this point, and it looks like you'll be a great applicant.  Good luck! :)

One of my classmates was a DPT and he was one of the best students in our program. I know I would trust him to look after one of my family members. I think the advantage of being a DPT is that you are already used to making assessments and plans on patients and coming up with your own treatment plans. The great thing is if you love ortho, you will be in such demand once you graduate that you will likely get your picks of ortho jobs. 

Your story is almost identical to mine, except I am an OT. I've been an OT for 2 1/2 years and feel the exact same way about my limited scope of practice and wanting to expand my skills and knowledge. I applied to one school this round, was granted an interview, and was offered (and accepted) a position. I begin my classes in May and cannot wait. During my interviews, I had multiple interviewers tell me I was a shoe-in for the program because of my therapy background. My cumulative graduate GPA was 3.98 and undergraduate was 3.65. I had about 5000 contact hours from my OT experience at the time of my application. I don't really have any special accolades. Best of luck in your decision making! PM if you have any questions.

Your story is almost identical to mine, except I am an OT. I've been an OT for 2 1/2 years and feel the exact same way about my limited scope of practice and wanting to expand my skills and knowledge. I applied to one school this round, was granted an interview, and was offered (and accepted) a position. I begin my classes in May and cannot wait. During my interviews, I had multiple interviewers tell me I was a shoe-in for the program because of my therapy background. My cumulative graduate GPA was 3.98 and undergraduate was 3.65. I had about 5000 contact hours from my OT experience at the time of my application. I don't really have any special accolades. Best of luck in your decision making! PM if you have any questions.

wow awesome, where did you get accepted if you don't mind me asking?

Archived