Chiropractic Student wanting to apply to PA school

So basically I just finished my first year of chiropractic school. I realized this profession is not for me. I am looking to apply to PA school. My undergrad GPA was a 2.9 (120 credits)  and my gpa from chiro school is a 3.64 (68 credits). Some of these classes from chiro school included neuroscience 1&2, histology, Systems physiology, Anatomy 1&2, Biochemistry 1&2, Radiology. My prerequisite gpa 3.3. My GRE scores are 150 verbal, 152 quantitative.  Do you think I will have a chance of being accepted to a program? If so, what programs would you suggest applying to. I have around 400 hours of shadowing. I am also a certified EMT.

Thank you

My Gpa comes out to a 3.09. I shadowed a PT for over 300 hours and was an EMT for a summer (about 150 hours) I've changed my mind because I want to work in an emergency room. I miss the rush and thrill of being an EMT. I don't get that same feeling as a chiropractor. I also like that fact the PA's have better job security  

My Gpa comes out to a 3.09. I shadowed a PT for over 300 hours and was an EMT for a summer (about 150 hours) I've changed my mind because I want to work in an emergency room. I miss the rush and thrill of being an EMT. I don't get that same feeling as a chiropractor. I also like that fact the PA's have better job security  

That's definitely not the right reason for wanting to study medicine. You're coming from a field which is thoroughly discredited and operates more akin to voodoo than science. You'll need to articulate a solid reason as to why you no longer believe in the voodoo and instead now place your faith in evidence.

I decided to give it a shot, but It didn't work out. I couldn't see the reasoning behind Chiropractic. All I want to do is help people. I don't think I will be able to if I pursued my chiropractic degree.  I want to work in modern medicine. Im not going to call it voodoo. I don't want to bash the profession, but It isn't for me. 

I decided to give it a shot, but It didn't work out. I couldn't see the reasoning behind Chiropractic. All I want to do is help people. I don't think I will be able to if I pursued my chiropractic degree.  I want to work in modern medicine. Im not going to call it voodoo. I don't want to bash the profession, but It isn't for me. 

It is voodoo. If you embrace medicine than you have to deem chiropractic for what it is- unsubstantiated quackery. You'll have to convince an admissions committee that you "saw the light" of science. Can you do that?

• Administrator

Eh, before you harrangue him into denouncing his former chosen field, let's be realistic about the GPA issue:  It still needs to come up by 0.1-0.3 cGPA to be competitive.  Likewise, the HCE is very low. 150 hours as an EMT?  That's barely longer than the certification length--you have a lot still to learn about what an EMT is and does.

Only once those issues are rectified will the philosophy of medicine vs. chiropractic even come up.

I'll be snarky and say there's no thrill in the risk of vertebral artery dissection? Kind of interesting how a doctor of chiropractic medicine program admission allows for such sub par grades. I know I'm coming off as mean and ill spirited (mostly bc I'm going through a huge life issue atm) but seriously, to get accepted in to pa you'll not just have to prove great reason for it, but that you can handle the rigors

I think your reasons for wanting to switch are fine - but yes, you will probably have to explain what made you pursue chiro in the first place when it does differ quite a bit from PA.  And as others have said, you will likely need to spend a few years working on your GPA and earning HCE before you should even consider applying.  The fact that you were accepted to a chiro program is certainly not going to give you an advantage over other PA applicants.

I understand where you are coming from. My opinion is that your gpa and healthcare experience is on the lower end, but people with similar statistics still manage to get accepted. Also, let's not discount your academic performance in a doctoral program, a field which may very well be denounced, but ultimately more rigorous then undergrad. If I were you, I would spend a significant amount of time shadowing a PA. You must make a very compiling argument as to why PA, backed up with experience. If I were on an admission team, I would have issues with your ability to go into something you were not absolutely certain was your calling. Couldn't you do that again?  I hope my opinion was helpful, and I really wish you the best of luck ! The PA profession is something I am on fire for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three things:

- There are a lot of former chiropractors who pursue, and some become, PAs after practicing chiro, so you aren't alone.

- There are many in the PA profession (and others) who believe chiropractors are quacks, valid opinion or not.

- There are many PA hopeful chiropractors who become very hostile and defensive when presented with that view, which never goes well.

I think Rev gives good advice. Get your stats to where any PA hopeful should be regardless of where they are coming from, and then be prepared that some will look negatively upon the chiro background and to have an explanation for that. I think considering you studied it briefly and quickly decided for a change may be easier to explain than those who practiced it for years and then chose to become a PA. However, I'd also suggest racking up some serious PA shadowing hours and hands on HCE to prove you are certain PA is for you.

Archived