Working and HCE

I am an undergrad. I was pre-med but switched to PA. My GPA is 3.77. Will be taking the GRE soon. I am 25 and work as an accountant/controller getting paid 17.00 an hour and live on my own. I shadow a family physician in which I measure the weight of patients and take their blood pressure. I also write down any important information that he will need later. I was wondering if this can be considered HCE. I can't scribe or do EMT since I won't get paid enough to pay my monthly bills. 

I'm not really sure but I had a 70k job in corporate sales but quit it the year before I applied so I could go be a CNA and also work at a pharmacy. I got in but I also live in a community that is super cheap for rent/bill and know that's not possible for everyone. I think me quitting the one job and working 2 low paying jobs showed how badly I wanted to be a PA but it might've just been coincidence. Are you able to do some CNA work maybe 8 or 12 hours a week? I'd just take this time before you apply to grind as much as you can and get as much experience on your application as you can. I just didn't want to feel like I could've done more after I turned in my application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think shadowing will count as HCE (since shadowing is its own category). Keep in mind that getting direct pt care experience, not only helps your application, but it also helps you in PA school and beyond. A lot of the requirements aren't there just to make you jump through hoops; they exist because they will help you prepare for school and your career. Sacrifices will probably need to be made in order to accomplish this, but will be well worth it in the end!

Also, it would be better to shadow a PA and not a physician. This will only make it harder for you to differentiate why you want to be a PA vs an MD. If it's really something you want then you need to find balance. Volunteer at local hospitals in your down time. You'll be busy but that's just how it goes. Goodluck!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

What made you switch from MD path to PA? Be prepared to answer that question in a thoughtful and diplomatic way.

Some schools may count your shadowing as HCE. But keep in mind the point is to be AS COMPETITIVE AS POSSIBLE and I would think anyone on an adcom looking at your app and one identical to it but w more hours of paid/greater scope of HCE, may pick the other one over you.

I agree w the above that HCE will help you in the long run. Don't sell yourself short! A CNA/EMT class can be done at night/weekends and you may be able to find a part time job around your FT schedule. Good luck!

Definitely make sure you articulate why you decided to pursue PA instead of MD. I was asked this question at like 4/5 interviews. One school really grilled it when it came to this question.

Since it's not paid employment then I think it will count as shadowing. Which still looks good. Maybe get a CNA cert and work PRN at the hospital?

Why can't you keep your better paying job, and use the time you're shadowing the doctor/ any other free time you have to work earning HCE.   Most jobs in the medical field have shifts all hours of the day, you should be able to find something for weekends at least.  Yes, it will suck, but if you aren't willing to give up your higher paying job, there are ways to earn the HCE.  

Archived