Current PA students-HELP? Can I see your notes?

Hi everybody!

So I don't really know if this is legal or what but I was wondering if anybody is willing to send me lecture notes and powerpoints.....

I want to get a glimpse of what graduate school is going to be like. I think if I get can just mentally prepare myself about the program's rigorous curriculum, that would really help me to buckle down in school so much more (not that I am slacking right now).

But if anybody want to share their notes and powerpoints with me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

My email is ttnguyen@mail.bradley.edu

THANKS A WHOLE BUNCH!

Have you no shame? lol... j/k What you do in your undergrad and your life experience will prepare you. You just need to have your stuff together when you apply. If the ADCOM lets you into their program... THAT is when you will know that you are ready. Granted some people slip through the cracks... for various reasons. Some have finacial or life problems that take away from school as a priority and they fail out, but as long as you have your ducks in a row do not worry about it. Buckle down now! Regardless of how hard PA school is I doubt seeing the curriculum going to help you. Besides your e-mail may not have the memory requirements to hold more than one or two lectures. DRINKING FROM A FIREHOSE!!!

If I am understanding your question correctly you would like a insite on what it wll be like once in Pa school? Well honestly there really isnt going to be anything that is giong to prepare you for what is ahead. Our Amazing director Les Howard has created stickeys under first term for our school link. As far as I know they are public info to anyone. Or school is SJVC in CA. Hope that helps and that is what you were looking for.

Good luck!

Yeah, I think the sticky that LesH put up some time ago will help you more than taking a look at our notes. Although we all are learning the same information, we are not learning it the same way or in the same order. I imagine my ppt's compared to MCHAD's ppt's would look totally different in format, style, and content. The best thing you can do is immerse yourself in the office/hospital setting, rake up those HCE hours, and enjoy your free time.

Guest starvingstudent

look at a student handbook for a particular pa program... you should find the course load for the didactic and clinical years there.

most pa schools have the student handbook on thier website.

if you want to know about pathophys, then just google it.... some schools break up classes into little bits throughout the year, and others slam you with a years worth of material in one semester.

Start reading a text book. Some people get by by reading only the lecture notes, some only learn by reading the book.. I'm a book person, the power points are just summary in my personal opinion and good for reviewing before the test.

Ask your program about their book list... 1 book you will learn to love and memorize from cover to cover and keep for your rotations is definitely bates guide to physical exam. If I was in your shoes I would have gotten that book before school... Either that or Lange's Current Medical Diagnosis book. I have every ALOT of powerpoints on this pc but I dont think the lecturers would appreciate me handing them out. Afterall I did pay 32k in tuition this year for them.

Hi everybody!

So I don't really know if this is legal or what but I was wondering if anybody is willing to send me lecture notes and powerpoints.....

I want to get a glimpse of what graduate school is going to be like. I think if I get can just mentally prepare myself about the program's rigorous curriculum, that would really help me to buckle down in school so much more (not that I am slacking right now).

But if anybody want to share their notes and powerpoints with me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

My email is ttnguyen@mail.bradley.edu

THANKS A WHOLE BUNCH!

The notes at the graduate level are no different than at an undergraduate level in terms of structure and format. And ppts vary from one lecturer to another. It really isn't a good indication of the work load that's required. My best advice to you is to just kick back and relax. Take advantage of this time off and just have fun. There really is no way to emulate or even have an understanding of the workload that you're about to be handed. It's best if you mentally tell yourself that you are now about to enter a marathon and your goal is to be steady, efficient, and balanced throughout the entire race. Treat it like a 100 meter sprint and you're gonna burn out quick.

• 2 weeks later...

I would but all my notes are doodles of things that randomly enter my mind....LOL but seriously, you probably are better off just prereading or skimming the recommended texts of your program. Nothing really prepares you because it's the amount of info and the rate they cram it into you that is daunting. The info itself is not that difficult.

All of this has already been posted but just to reiterate it's not the difficulty of the material that makes PA school a challenge, it's the sheer volume of information you're expected to assimilate seemingly over night. For instance, last week was a busy week for us in my program, we had 6 clinical medicine lectures (all of them 2 hours) so it's as if one of you undergrad courses met six times a week for 2 hours at a time. We also had other classes that met that we had homework for, a conference we were all required to attend that was 5 hours. We basically went to class form 8-4 4 days and 8-1 on Friday. The information for the most part is very straight forward so I'm not spending a whole lot of time trying to figure out what the heck is going on but rather I'm trying to remember all the small details of each disease process and how it overlaps with other diseases we're studying in that block and then how other organ systems would effect the system we're studying right then. (Ex: we're in renal block right now but there's a lot of overlap with cardiac and pulmonary when you're considering renal failure.) So looking at our notes doesn't really give you an idea of what's going on. My ppt are really no different from my undergrad ppt. I mean it, no different. I simply have 4 times as many, lol. Best of luck!

• 1 month later...

Ask your fellow PA students (people further along) - what information do they wish they had more time to study. I have found that most PA students at my school felt that Harrison's was the one book they wish they had more time to go over. I hope this helps!

I hope someone actually sent what you were looking for.......

As a pre-pa I know the curiosity is killing me. I would love the opportunity to see what a PA student is actually studying. I think it would be interesting to see the amounto f information covered in a day, afterall it seems like thats the most common thing that students comment on. Seeing it to me is better than someone just saying " oh we covered this that and that".

I think the best advice so far has been to see if you can sit in on a lecture or two

Hi everybody!

So I don't really know if this is legal or what but I was wondering if anybody is willing to send me lecture notes and powerpoints..... You don't need the added confusion right now. Trust me.

I think if I get can just mentally prepare myself about the program's rigorous curriculum, that would really help me to buckle down in school so much more (not that I am slacking right now). You just got accepted to a PA program "buckle down" is now your new middle name.

But if anybody want to share their notes and powerpoints with me, I'd greatly appreciate it! Okay, I'll help you out. You might start with this link: http://www.brooksidepress.org/Products/OperationalMedicine/DATA/operationalmed/SickCall/SickCall.htm Then review the basic exams section, the section on on Labs, then master the Pharmacology section, then for fun add medical procedures. Do it all at the same time. Spend 2 hours a day on each section. It'll be a good review before you really get to play...Good luck with your future PA endeavors.

LesH

I'm currently on my Adult Med rotation, here are the learning objectives which I have to be prepared for before the rotation exam:

Cardiovascular

Category I: Coronary artery disease; AMI, angina, hyperlipidemia, valvular heart disease, dysrhythmias, congestive heart failure; hypertension (essential, secondary, malignant), orthostatic/postural hypotension, arterial/venous insufficiency, deep vein thrombosis, thrombophlebitis, peripheral vascular disease (venous and arterial)

Category II: Pericardial diseases / cardiomyopathies (dilated, hypertrophic, restrictive) rheumatic heart disease, infectious endocarditis, mesenteric ischemia

Pulmonary

Category I: Acute bronchitis, pneumonias (community & nosocomial, bacterial, viral, fungal, HIV-related), pleural effusion, pulmonary edema, asthma, chronic bronchitis/ emphysema, pulmonary embolus, tuberculosis, influenza.

Category II: Abscesses, empyema, restrictive lung diseases related to environmental/occupational and connective tissue etiologies, carcinomas, sarcoidosis, pulmonary hypertension, cystic fibrosis, primary pulmonary hypertension, pulmonary fibrosis

Gastrointestinal

Category I: Peptic ulcer disease: H. pylori, gastric, duodenal; gastroesophageal reflux, esophageal spasm, esophagitis, gastritis/gastreoenteritis; hepatitis, pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhea (infectious, parasitic), constipation, diverticular disease, pseudomembranous colitis, cholelithiasis, cholecystitis, lactose intolerance, constipation, Nutritional Deficiencies ( Niacin, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Vitamins A, C, D, K)., Metabolic Disorders (Lactose intolerance)

Category II: Esophageal/gastric/colorectal carcinoma; achalasia, esophageal varices, malabsorption syndromes, biliary obstruction, cirrhosis, parasitic diseases, large or small bowel obstruction

Musculoskeletal

Category I: Rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, low back pain, gout, pseudogout, septic arthritis, osteoporosis, carpal tunnel syndrome

Category II: Systemic lupus erythematosus, progressive systemic sclerosis, psoriasis, vasculitis, Reiter’s syndrome, aseptic necrosis, polymyositis, polymyalgia rheumatica, fibromyalgia, osteomyelitis

EENT

Category I: Glaucoma, otitis media/externa, labyrinthitis, Meniere’s disease, acute/chronic sinusitis, allergic rhinitis, pharyngitis, conjunctivitis

Category II: Oral leukoplakia, orbital/periorbital cellulitis, retinal detachment, ocular herpes, oral carcinoma, cataracts, diabetic/hypertensive retinopathy

Endocrine

Category I: Diabetes Mellitus (types I and II), hypo/hyperthyroidism, Graves’ disease, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, thyroid storm, Cushing’s syndrome, hypercholesterolemia, hypertriglyceridemia.

Category II: Hyper/hypoparathyroidism, acromegaly/gigantism, corticoadrenal insufficiency, pituitary adenoma, thyroid cancer, diabetes insipidus, SIADH

Neurologic

Category I: Alzheimer’s disease, CVA / TIA, tension/cluster/migraine headache, trigeminal neuralgia, giant cell arteritis, meningitis, diabetic peripheral and autonomic neuropathies

Category II: Multiple sclerosis, cerebral aneurysm, seizure disorders, encephalitis, Bell’s palsy, subarachnoid hemorrhage, epidural bleed, Parkinson’s disease, dementia, Guillian Barre, myasthenia gravis, SAH

Genitourinary

Category I: Acute and chronic renal failure, nephrotic syndrome, renal calculi, pyelonephritis, benign prostatic hyperplasia, acute and chronic prostatitis, cystitis, urethritis, incontinence, epididymitis, cystitis

Category II: Glomerulonephritis, Goodpasture’s syndrome, polycystic kidney disease, renovascular hypertension, tubulointerstitial disease, bladder/prostate carcinoma, renal cell carcinoma, testicular carcinoma

Dermatologic

Category I: Stasis dermatitis, venous stasis ulcers, tinea corporis/pedis/cruris, rosacea, onycomycosis, herpes simplex, cellulitis, decubitus ulcers, urticaria, herpes zoster, psoriasis, seborrheic/actinic keratoses, contact dermatitis, viral exanthum, gram positive and gram negative skin infections

Category II: Basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, melanoma

Hematologic

Category I: Anemias: iron deficiency, vitamin B12, folate, anemia of chronic disease, sickle cell anemia, anticoagulant use (warfarin, heparin, Lovonox, aspirin, clopidogrel)

Category II: Coagulation disorders, thrombocytopenia, VonWillebrand’s disease, acute and chronic lymphocytic leukemia, acute and chronic myelogenous leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, ITP, aplastic anemia, myeloproliferative disease, G6PD-deficiency

Infectious Disease

Category I: Candidiasis, gonococcal infections, salmonellosis, shigellosis, Lyme disease, HIV, streptococcal infections, staph infections, sepsis, Epstein Barr, cytomegalovirus

Category II: Pneumocystis, atypical mycobacterial disease, syphilis, histoplasmosis, cryptococcus, malaria

Miscellaneous

Dehydration, edema

Procedures

Given an adult patient, the PA student will observe and perform, where permitted, the following procedures: using proper technique and precautions; will identify the indications, contraindications and hazards for such procedures, and will appropriately educate the patient or legal guardian about such procedures and the meaning of the results. Including, obtaining the appropriate releases. The student will identify the age/gender appropriate “normal” values.

As indicated, with preceptor permission:

arterial blood gases urinalysis

electrocardiogram urine pregnancy tests

foley catheterization

venipuncture / fingerstick

gram stain wet mounts

IV catheter placement

nasogastric tube placement

occult blood in stool

rapid strep tests

injections: intradermal, intravenous, subcutaneous

specimen collection:

culture/sensitivity of blood,

cervical, nasopharyngeal,

sputum, stool, urethral,

urine, wound

As indicated, under direct supervision and with assistance as needed:

thoracentesis

paracentesis

joint aspiration

proctoscopy

arterial puncture, other than radial artery

Removal of non-penetrating ocular foreign bodies

Principles of Monitoring/Therapeutics

The student will identify the indications, contraindications, hazards and management of the following:

intravenous fluid therapy

total parenteral nutrition

blood transfusions

arterial cannulation and catheterization

central pressure monitoring

pulmonary artery pressure monitoring

Diagnostic Studies

The student will demonstrate knowledge of normal values, and list common diseases, which may account for abnormal values, for the following laboratory tests:

complete blood count with white cell differential / anemia profiles

urinalysis

blood urea nitrogen, creatinine, electrolytes – Na+, K+, CL -, CO2

biochemical profiles: liver function, renal function, cardiac function,

calcium metabolism tests, glucose, lipid levels

hepatitis profiles

arterial blood gases

thyroid profiles

lipid profiles

rheumatologic disease profiles

pulmonary function testing

HIV/AIDS profiles

cardiovascular testing (cardiac enzyme profiles, echocardiography,

stress testing, cardiac catheterization, BNP, C-reactive protein)

spinal fluid analysis

microbiology: tests for infectious diseases

Radiographic Studies

The student will describe the indications for ordering radiologic studies such as radiographs; CT scans, MRI, nuclear medicine studies and ultrasound techniques, as diagnostic procedures, and will describe the health risks associated with radiologic procedures.

The student will:

Interpret PA and lateral chest x-rays for pneumonia, pneumothorax, pleural effusion, CHF, cardiomegaly, solid tumors, fractures, hyperinflation.

Interpret x-rays of the extremities for fractures, dislocations and degenerative joint/disc disease.

Interpret x-rays of the spine for scoliosis, kyphosis, and DJD.

Interpret the descriptive reports of radiologists concerning flat plates of the

abdomen, upper GI series, barium enema, IVP’s, skull and sinus films.

Hemegroup you are the man. To the OP this is also the firehose you will be drinking from during the didactic year. There will be countless ppt. presentations or PBL sessions on top of physical examination checklist, numerous quizzes, test and written assignments. As someone stated the ADCOM saw something in you that lead them to believe you could handle it. What I have seen in PA students after the initial "shock and awe", is sometimes self doubt or a mind numbing reality that the program just isn't going to lighten up (and in most cases the program won't during didactic). But I also see what happens when it clicks, you get to where Hemegroup is now... the Clinical year. Everything the student thought they were cramming and dumping previously becomes clearer. When pimped the student knows the answer or just as important admits they don't know the answer but knows where to find it!

Get a good understanding of medical terminology, be prepared to read more than you ever had to read before and tighten up your multitasking skills.

Without showing you the actual slides, this is a tally of how many ppt slides (not total presentations, total slides) we looked at over the course of SPRING SEMESTER alone. And yes, I took notes on almost every single slide. The 17,977 you see at the bottom was Fall+Spring. Also note the number of exams we had in spring semester, FCM had a total of 7 exams not individually listed along with 1 test each for Genetics, Immunology and beh med. Keep in mind this does not represent any papers or projects that we had to complete along the way. No matter what I tell you though, it will not prepare you.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> <meta name="ProgId" content="Excel.Sheet"> <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Excel 2008"> <link id="Main-File" rel="Main-File" href="file://localhost/Users/Van/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0/clip.htm"> <style> <!--table {mso-displayed-decimal-separator:"\."; mso-displayed-thousand-separator:"\,";} td {padding-top:1px; padding-right:1px; padding-left:1px; mso-ignore:padding; color:black; font-size:11.0pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none; font-family:Calibri, sans-serif; mso-font-charset:0; mso-number-format:General; text-align:general; vertical-align:bottom; border:none; mso-background-source:auto; mso-pattern:auto; mso-protection:locked visible; white-space:nowrap; mso-rotate:0;} .xl24 {font-weight:700; text-decoration:underline; text-underline-style:single;} .xl25 {font-size:12.0pt; font-weight:700;} .xl26 {font-size:16.0pt; font-weight:700;} .xl27 {font-size:14.0pt; font-weight:700;} ruby {ruby-align:left;} rt {color:windowtext; font-size:8.0pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none; font-family:Verdana; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-charset:0; mso-char-type:none; display:none;} --> </style> <table style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="424"> <!--StartFragment--> <col span="8" width="53"> <tbody><tr height="14"> <td height="14" width="53">Spring</td> <td width="53"></td> <td width="53"></td> <td width="53"></td> <td width="53"></td> <td width="53"></td> <td width="53"></td> <td width="53"></td> </tr> <tr height="15"> <td class="xl24" height="15">FCM</td> <td></td> <td></td> <td class="xl24">C&D</td> <td></td> <td></td> <td class="xl24">PHARM</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr height="14"> <td height="14">ENT/PULM</td> <td x:num="577.0" align="right">577</td> <td></td> <td>TEST1</td> <td x:num="696.0" align="right">696</td> <td></td> <td>TEST1</td> <td x:num="611.0" align="right">611</td> </tr> <tr height="14"> <td height="14">NEURO</td> <td x:num="566.0" align="right">566</td> <td></td> <td>TEST2</td> <td x:num="612.0" align="right">612</td> <td></td> <td>TEST2</td> <td x:num="523.0" align="right">523</td> </tr> <tr height="14"> <td height="14">EBM</td> <td x:num="252.0" align="right">252</td> <td></td> <td>TEST3</td> <td x:num="873.0" align="right">873</td> <td></td> <td>TEST3</td> <td x:num="514.0" align="right">514</td> </tr> <tr height="15"> <td height="15">CARDIO</td> <td x:num="413.0" align="right">413</td> <td></td> <td>TOTAL</td> <td class="xl25" x:num="2181.0" align="right">2181</td> <td></td> <td>TEST4</td> <td x:num="497.0" align="right">497</td> </tr> <tr height="15"> <td height="15">UROL</td> <td x:num="401.0" align="right">401</td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td>TOTAL</td> <td class="xl25" x:num="2145.0" align="right">2145</td> </tr> <tr height="14"> <td height="14">ACID/BASE</td> <td x:num="131.0" align="right">131</td> <td></td> <td class="xl24">FMSII</td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> </tr> <tr height="15"> <td height="15">GI</td> <td x:num="831.0" align="right">831</td> <td></td> <td>GENETICS</td> <td x:num="467.0" align="right">467</td> <td></td> <td class="xl24">BEHAVMED</td> <td class="xl25" x:num="595.0" align="right">595</td> </tr> <tr height="14"> <td height="14">LAB</td> <td x:num="170.0" align="right">170</td> <td></td> <td>IMMUN</td> <td x:num="208.0" align="right">208</td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> </tr> <tr height="14"> <td height="14">DERM</td> <td x:num="919.0" align="right">919</td> <td></td> <td>MICRO</td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> </tr> <tr height="14"> <td height="14">HEME/ONC</td> <td x:num="639.0" align="right">639</td> <td></td> <td>TEST1</td> <td x:num="419.0" align="right">419</td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> </tr> <tr height="15"> <td height="15">TOTAL</td> <td class="xl25" x:num="4899.0" align="right">4899</td> <td></td> <td>TEST2</td> <td x:num="311.0" align="right">311</td> <td></td> <td> TOTAL</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr height="20"> <td height="20"></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td>TEST3</td> <td x:num="535.0" align="right">535</td> <td></td> <td></td> <td class="xl26" x:num="11760.0" align="right">11760</td> </tr> <tr height="15"> <td height="15"></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td>TOTAL</td> <td class="xl25" x:num="1940.0" align="right">1940</td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> </tr> <tr height="14"> <td height="14"></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> </tr> <tr height="18"> <td height="18"></td> <td class="xl27" x:num="17977.0" align="right">17977</td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> </tr> <!--EndFragment--> </tbody></table>

But I also see what happens when it clicks, you get to where Hemegroup is now... the Clinical year. Everything the student thought they were cramming and dumping previously becomes clearer. When pimped the student knows the answer or just as important admits they don't know the answer but knows where to find it!

Ohhhh yea, and don't forget that's just for one rotation! Not to mention that all the answers to those learning objectives I posted come out to about 300 pages lmao ... please kill j567782=0682me ... . mommy? and then the PACKRAT the day after ... i ... brrzi ... abu[w9e8fy `974 xc24M 9 `2b}4t 'yjn1 h g

• 6 months later...

Archived