How important is biochemistry?

Biochemistry seems to be in the "recommended" but not "required" section of many PA program prerequisites lists.

1. How important is Biochemistry for getting into PA programs?

2. How important is Biochemistry for getting through PA school pharmacology courses?

3. How important is completing a course in Biochemistry for future practice as a PA?

Thanks a bunch for any info on this!

You will be competing for spots with others that have taken the course. So it's up to you(if it's not required at the schools you're applying to) whether you want to make yourself a more competitive applicant.

if it's not required I can't see it helping more than the effect it has on gpa( an A look good, a C looks bad).

if it's not required it is just another class, not something that "sets you apart". you could say the same thing about any class.

if it's not required I can't see it helping more than the effect it has on gpa( an A look good, a C looks bad).

if it's not required it is just another class, not something that "sets you apart". you could say the same thing about any class.

Taking additional upper level sciences like biochem/immunology/virology/embryology/genetics and so forth and doing well in them certainly does set someone apart from the other person that just has the minimum required pre-reqs. Many, if not most, program websites state as much. That's the point I was making.

My personal experience, not as a PA (because I'm not one yet!) but as an exercise physiologist, is that a strong understanding of biochem basics can be huge in speaking to patients regarding healthy lifestyle/nutrition choices. That is, if you are good at discussing how the body works in "layman's" terminology. I also work with professional runners and it's extremely helpful there as well. When someone comes to you describing one of the latest diet fads or weight-loss plans or supplement blah blah blah it's nice to be able to say "well, let me explain how your body actually tackles that...." I plan to go into primary care, so I do feel it is going to continue to be helpful. If you're planning to go into surgery, not so much I suppose.

Archived