Interview Tips

Guest OnBelay

Hi everyone!

This is my first time applying to PA programs. My application was reviewed by one of the thirteen programs I applied to and I was offered an interview. One of my weaknesses in my application is that I have an 'F' listed on my transcript in Anatomy and Physiology. I enrolled in an online class and did not feel like I could grasp the concepts through the course, so I let it go. It was a bad decision because it was too late to withdraw. I enrolled for the in-person course, and received a B for anatomy and physiology I and an A for anatomy and physiology II. I have a W for a few courses too. 

Has anyone had experience with addressing in an interview low grades or W? I want to be honest, and take responsibility for the grade, but I also want to come across that I am capable of handling the difficult curriculum if I am accepted. 

BS in Psych, Minor in Chem

GPA: 3.96

S GPA: 3.18

Great interview tips that will help you become the Perfect Applicant when interviewing for PA School at andrewrodican.com. Click on the Interview Tab and you're going to learn about "Qualities" and "Multipliers" that will help you stand out. Most applicants give the same, carbon copy, answers to interview questions. Learn how to use the Tailoring Method to Ace the interview. This is Free information.

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

I would suggest to just be yourself.  You can practice all the typical interview questions (I would suggest the book "How to get in the PA school of your choice".  It gives lots of examples questions and answers for interview questions.  This helped me a lot in further understanding what they were looking for in your answer.  You can be sincere, but at the same time not give them the answers they need to hear.  

I want to give you a quick rundown of my experience.  I had 4 interviews last year and didn't get denied from any. I got waitlisted at 2 (1 was UAB though so I felt as good as an acceptance on that one), and got accepted to 2.  One of mine was a group interview with a panel which I was scared to death about beforehand.  There were 4 of us getting interviewed at the same time by 3 interviewers.  I was the only one in the group that got accepted, even though some of the other people had MUCH more health care experience and probably were better qualified than me.  I think the thing that set me apart was that I was myself.  I had practiced interviews with a career counselor at my school about 3 or 4 times, as well as stressed out over the "why do you want to be a PA?" like crazy... but I went into my interviews and was confident and comfortable with them.  In my group interview I saw the other 3 people and how nervous they were and they were giving very bland answers that were very generic.  I, on the other hand, used a lot of humor (which I do when I get nervous), and was able to get the interviewers to laugh.  I think this is what made me stand out and made them like me.  You want to be someone who they want to be around.  They are, after all, going to be with you for 2 years, 5 days a week.  Show them who you are.  If they don't like who you are, maybe that school isn't a good fit.  Hope this helps:)

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

For women, what are the thoughts on wearing a fun color pump to the interview with an all black suit? I'm not really an all black kind of person and I'm just trying to thing of ways to make it a little closer to my personal style while still being appropriate. Also, what kind of hairstyle is good for medium - long hair? thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

My really old memory of interviewing in 1989 - don't wear stuff you don't normally wear or aren't comfortable in.

It will show!

My big flat feet don't do heels - never have, never will. I wouldn't wear them anywhere - not even a wedding.

Make sure you feel like you look good. NO CLEAVAGE, NO THIGH SLITS.

Feel professional but comfortable enough to sit in an uncomfortable chair without man spreading or having hose or slip choke you to death. Be prepared to have to walk if a tour happens or a lunch break or just the bathroom.

Wear a color folks compliment you in.

MY DESIRE - CLASSY. CLASSIC. Katherine Hepburn! Lauren Bacall!

Yep, I am old. But classic never goes out of style.

I want to remember the applicant not the gaudy inappropriate clothing.

Would it be appropriate to wear a dress and suit jacket instead of the three piece top and skirt and jacket . Here is a link to what I am referring to as an example

http://shop.nordstrom.com/o/boss-stretch-wool-sheath-dress-suit-jacket/4425369?origin=category-personalizedsort

I wore a dress with a blazer to my interviews [emoji1360] there were also quite a few people in slacks, a nice blouse and a blazer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, Natalie where did you get the dress you wore? or do you have any photos of your dress/ blazer combo? I was thinking about doing that instead of a pant suit just because that would be most comfortable for me.

I got mine from Burlington coat factory. It really looks like a skirt suit but it's just a dress with a matching blazer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi!  I had a personal question for anyone that could help.  

I have 2 interviews scheduled back to back but on opposite sides of the country.  Unfortunately, there are hardly any flights.  At best, I would have to fly from one interview, BACK to LA (where I'm from), then from there fly out to the next interview on an OVERNIGHT flight that would (at earliest) get me there by 7am.  The interview starts at 9am, so really I should be there by 8am.  Is this cutting it too close?

How does one go about requesting to reschedule an interview in a situation like this?  

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Hi! I had a personal question for anyone that could help.

I have 2 interviews scheduled back to back but on opposite sides of the country. Unfortunately, there are hardly any flights. At best, I would have to fly from one interview, BACK to LA (where I'm from), then from there fly out to the next interview on an OVERNIGHT flight that would (at earliest) get me there by 7am. The interview starts at 9am, so really I should be there by 8am. Is this cutting it too close?

How does one go about requesting to reschedule an interview in a situation like this?

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

I would contact the school you are least interested in/least likely to get into and explain the situation to see if they would be willing to reschedule. It costs a lot of money to go to interviews and, if you have a delayed flight, you are screwed. Why take the chance and arrive exhausted.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone else asked a question along similar lines but I never saw a response: can I bring a a mini notebook with questions I have written down and cross them off/write answers as we go through the tour so I can know which ones I need answered in my interview? Or is that frowned upon?

Someone else asked a question along similar lines but I never saw a response: can I bring a a mini notebook with questions I have written down and cross them off/write answers as we go through the tour so I can know which ones I need answered in my interview? Or is that frowned upon?

Absolutely you can. I brought a leather portfolio with just a legal pad on the inside. I had my questions written down inside of it for me to ask interviewers at the conclusion of our time together. In fact, for the two interviews I've been on, the vast majority of interviewees had some sort of portfolio/notebook with them.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I need some insight on what to say when an interviewer asks if I've applied to other schools. I would think that they should know that most people don't want to put all their eggs in one basket, but is it a "trick " question? In the past I have mentioned that I applied to other schools when they ask, but I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not. Thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

I need some insight on what to say when an interviewer asks if I've applied to other schools. I would think that they should know that most people don't want to put all their eggs in one basket, but is it a "trick " question? In the past I have mentioned that I applied to other schools when they ask, but I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not. Thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

It's a routine question. They expect you to have applied to other schools, if you ate a serious candidate. If you say; "No, I only applied here," that would indicate you have unrealistic expectations and don't understand how competitive PA school admissions are. Or that you are only interested as long as you can go to your top choice school. If you apply to 20 schools, it means you are shotgunning and not being at all selective. The average seems to be about 6 schools.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Excuse me if this is a no-brainer question.. But I was wondering if the suit top had to match the bottom? I found this navy skirt that I really love and the store that made it doesn't have a matching suit jacket and I've had no luck finding one that matches that exact shade of navy. What if I wore maybe another color suit top?

Thanks in advance

Hey everyone!

So I have been running through some possible interview questions and there are a few I'd like to get your opinions on. 

The first is: Explain what you would bring to X PA program?

The second is the routine Describe a challenge you have had to overcome and what you learned from the experience. 

I have a general idea of what it is that I should say, but I feel like it may be too cliche. Have any of you had to answer questions like this and if so what did you say?

Thanks