When should you throw in the towel?

Hello all!

I was wondering how many cycles do you apply before you decide you arent going to get in?

How many schools do you apply to (and get rejected from) before you get the message - so to speak -?

How many classes do you re-take, how many times do you take (re-take) the GREs?

When does the point come when you say "maybe becoming a PA isn't in the cards for me?"

When do you start seriously looking at 'plan B'?

Any suggestions/advice/comments/stories from others would be appreciated

DrCats

The applicants stats should tell the tell. If the pre-reqs have been taken and taken yet again to get a better grade and your overall GPA is 3.1, the GRE score is middling, and you've worked as a CNA for 3 years, you won't be getting in. Good HCE with average (or even above average) grades will not cut it. You need exceptional grades to be competitive.

If your stats are good, I'd say keep plugging away. Maybe expand the schools you are applying to.

Is this something you really want to do, or not? Rejections can be daunting, yes, but if this is something you really want to do, then stick with it. Nothing is ever for certain but you've got to know if it'll make you happy or not - if it'll be worth it to keep fighting. If this is something you really want, stick with it, regroup, and get back at it.

I have to disagree with JasonD. I had a 3.0 gpa but had 10 years of experience as an EMT and Critical Care Paramedic. My experience was my selling point and I was accepted first attempt. You just have to be patient and explore the locations where you are applying. And yes, before anyone asks, my program is one of the 112 nationally accredited by ARC-PA. there are a lot of things that they look at as well as GPA. I would say to retake any courses that you received a C+ or lower to improve your GPA. Work on your HCE hours. Shadow some physician assistants in multiple areas of medicine (Not just one). If you are working in EMS, get involved in teaching. Get your BLS instructor certification and start teaching CPR. This shows dedication to medicine. I am not sure what your GRE score is but my school didn't even care what the score was because they state that the GRE is not a good predictor of how well you will do in PA school. It is a hoop to jump through for the Graduate Schools wherever you're applying. It would not hurt to get out in your community and get involved in some aspect of volunteering. If you work on those things, you should land a spot no problem.

Like I said, my undergrad GPA was 3.0 in both cum and sci. I had 10 years as a paramedic and EMT. CCEMTP, ACLS Instructor, BLS Instructor, PALS Instructor, PHTLS Instructor, PEPP Instructor, and NDLS Instructor. I also have a few other certs at provider level. I taught for several years part-time as adjunct to the EMT and Paramedic classes as well where I worked. Needless to say that grades are not everything. Keep at it! It will happen. Good Luck!

This is definitely a personal decision, and the answer is different for everyone. I am on my second cycle. For me, it was worth it to apply again. Im 28, not married no kids, so I am ok to keep at it. Perhaps if I had a family that was dependent on my income I would reconsider. It also depends why they are not accepting you. Are your weak areas something that you can improve, or not? Do you fit the typical student profile for the programs youre applying to? Is this something you really want, or would you be fulfilled in an alternative career? Are you being offered interviews or rejected outright? You dont have to answer these questions, just some things to consider for yourself. Good luck either way.

JasonD, your description is a little vague. Are you using "C" as your definition of an average grade? You use 3.1 as your example as a crappy GPA. If you are going to give this kind of advice, be precise as to what you mean by average, above average, and excellent grades. To the OP: If you can meet the the baseline requirements for the schools you are applying to then there is always hope, even if not much. If you are getting interviews but still getting rejected then you might need to work on things other than your "numbers". Keep in mind that many smart people with lots of experience get rejected simply for being a###oles.

I'd say a GPA of 3-3.5 is average to above average GPA. I have known folks with a 3.9 GPA get rejected because they were weak in other areas. An applicant has to be looked at as an entire package: GPA, HCE, personality, GRE, etc. If an applicant is found lacking in one of these areas they may not be considered. Yes, a deficiency in one area can be brought up by excelling in another.

There are just way to many applicants for each open slot -- Your best bet is not to be lacking in ANY area to be considered. If after a long, hard introspection you find yourself lacking it may be time to look elsewhere for a career.

While determination and guts go a long way, I'm reminded that "We can't all be astronauts." For example, I'd really like to be a rock star, but I have absolutely no musical talent beyond clapping my hands in rhythm. I could practice til the cows came home, but that's not going to change the facts. There's nothing wrong with me; we just all have different gifts and, regretfully, music isn't mine.

You need to take a hard look at yourself, your application, and your situation. Have you talked to the previous schools and discovered why you weren't accepted? Have you fixed those things? How many times have you re-applied? What is your work experience? Do you have the flexibility to keep working towards your goal, both with family and work? Are you really a qualified applicant? If accepted, would you actually be able to handle the course load? Why do you want to be a PA?

There are numerous careers in medicine, PA is just one of them. Perhaps something else would be a better fit or perhaps you're just not getting your app together very well and would make a fine PA. Only you can decide.

Follow up with the schools and find out why....it could simply be that youre applying to the wrong schools....if you have strong HCE but weak grades even after retakes, maybe you need to apply to schools that use grade forgiveness (take the right of the two grades into account when calculating--Western and non CASPA schools typically do this) or look at the last 45, 60 or 90 hours; if you have strong grades and weak HCE maybe you need to get more and apply again after a year or so; if youre weak in both areas maybe you should take a break to strengthen the one that is "easiest" to fix (hce) and after gaining the hce, apply to non CASPA schools and try that way.

Sometimes its not about giving up and more about finding a less direct route. Think of it this way youre in one spot and right across from you is acceptance to a PA program but between you and that acceptance is this huge crevasse. While other have the tools necessary to cross right over, you may not. This doesnt mean you cant get there, it just means to get next door, you may have to go all the way around the block.

I appreciate the posts... I guess I knew the answer for myself, there isn't anything else I want to do, so I have to keep plugging away... The rejections can be brutal when you receive many of them...

@la lewis - I really appreciate what you had to say, I use the analogy about becoming a supermodel or pro basketball player, I am 4"11, all the training in the world isn't going to make me a 6"2 supermodel..lmao!

@justme - I have looked at a few schools in the west, but I didn't about "the last 45, 60" schools - I will check that out - I have been concentrating on the east and south because my grad school application money isn't unlimited... thank you :)

Thanks for all the posts/advice - much appreciated!

the first year i applied, i knew i had an uphill battle because i had certain schools i wanted to go to, and their standards were pretty high. once i started the application process, i realized i had a few more things going for me than i expected. i actually didnt think i would get an interview anywhere, so that was my goal. even after i was applying, i went ahead and kept taking and retaking classes and doing everything i could to get in so that my time wasnt wasted while i waited to hear back. i got interviews, but really only loved one school that i got an interview at. once i realized i could land an interview, i knew i at least had what it took to get looked at, so i worked on a bit more of the things that i felt made me able to get an interview.... for me that was more retakes of poor grades, more HCE (easy because i was working in HC), and more volunteer hours. i had a really productive year, and if i wouldnt have gotten into nursing school, i have no doubts i would have gotten into one of the schools on my list. i guesse i just figured that its like most other things that just take time. im already in a job that is in HC and lets me have the attitude where if i keep chipping away at it, i can land wherever i want to as long as i make the kind of efforts that are equal to the task. the big question for me is whether i was actually going to put forth the kind of effor that would yeild results, and the answer was yes. thats different than if i were to ask myself if i were just willing to make token efforts on my own behalf.

Did you text this on your phone? I hate to be a jerk but can you please use capital letters, fewer commas, and paragraph form so that I can read it without frustration? Thanks.

I am absolutely serious. Whenever I see this kind of writing I automatically think of a teenager texting, instead of a professional with something important to say. It leaves a bad impression on me. And it's hard to read. Sorry if I sound snobbish.

You wouldn't have as much time to be annoyed at others' grammar if you were currently taking biochem. ;)

I have to disagree with JasonD. I had a 3.0 gpa but had 10 years of experience as an EMT and Critical Care Paramedic. My experience was my selling point and I was accepted first attempt. You just have to be patient and explore the locations where you are applying. And yes, before anyone asks, my program is one of the 112 nationally accredited by ARC-PA. there are a lot of things that they look at as well as GPA. I would say to retake any courses that you received a C+ or lower to improve your GPA. Work on your HCE hours. Shadow some physician assistants in multiple areas of medicine (Not just one). If you are working in EMS, get involved in teaching. Get your BLS instructor certification and start teaching CPR. This shows dedication to medicine. I am not sure what your GRE score is but my school didn't even care what the score was because they state that the GRE is not a good predictor of how well you will do in PA school. It is a hoop to jump through for the Graduate Schools wherever you're applying. It would not hurt to get out in your community and get involved in some aspect of volunteering. If you work on those things, you should land a spot no problem.

Like I said, my undergrad GPA was 3.0 in both cum and sci. I had 10 years as a paramedic and EMT. CCEMTP, ACLS Instructor, BLS Instructor, PALS Instructor, PHTLS Instructor, PEPP Instructor, and NDLS Instructor. I also have a few other certs at provider level. I taught for several years part-time as adjunct to the EMT and Paramedic classes as well where I worked. Needless to say that grades are not everything. Keep at it! It will happen. Good Luck!

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived