How long did it take you to repay your loans? Advice appreciated!!

As far as the debt after graduation this is what I did:

During PA school I was probably had reduced my living expenses to about 25K/yr. Once I graduated and started working said I would try to keep to that same budget (well maybe I went up to 30K/yr I went on a trip, bought a nice TV etc... ) I kept a roommate. But I did not buy a house, new car etc. Trust me that first job you are still learning allot and it will go by pretty fast (when you get in PA school you'll see how fast it goes by). But after a year 1 year you should be able to pay off at least 40% of you school loans. So some food for thought? Would I preferred no roommate, more vacations etc.... sure but the 1 yr went by fast and I don't have a big debt hanging over my head.

Owe 100K PA school debt. Earning 80 K living expenses=30K That is 50K that could go toward that debt.

Keep in mind if you pick up a contingent side gig that first year (3-4 shifts a month ~20k/yr) and you can lower that debt number even more and you were doing what during rotations 60-80 hrs a week???? So maintain your same budget and hours in the hospital/clinic for just one more year and the debt will melt away.

I had paid my undergrad loans off many years prior to PA prog. took 2 1/2 yrs to get prereqs + program = 156,000 in debt. I paid off all friends and family first, about 18,000. and paid 800 a month at same time on commerial bank graduate loan of 42,000 principal, and the Feds 87,000 principal. I still owe over 100,000 on these latter two. my last payment to the Fed will take place the year I turn 90 years old. I suggest you enroll in NHSC, either upfront as scholar or in a loan repayment work location. I have never lived large since graduation. good luck.:heheh:

I have 75 thousand in debt...two loans: one at 6% and the other at 6.25%...my plan: 1700 a month for 4 years. The minimums on the loans are 200 and 515 for 10 years. I still go on vacations and bought myself that sports car that I always wanted, but I take a lot of extra shifts!

I had paid my undergrad loans off many years prior to PA prog. took 2 1/2 yrs to get prereqs + program = 156,000 in debt. I paid off all friends and family first, about 18,000. and paid 800 a month at same time on commerial bank graduate loan of 42,000 principal, and the Feds 87,000 principal. I still owe over 100,000 on these latter two. my last payment to the Fed will take place the year I turn 90 years old. I suggest you enroll in NHSC, either upfront as scholar or in a loan repayment work location. I have never lived large since graduation. good luck.:heheh:

I'd agree!

I pay about 1600/mo for my loans & unfortunately I still owe my undergrad. (not included)I

t makes it tough to survive without a S.O. or a 2nd job!

When I went to PA school, I knew the debt would be heavy, however I didn't care!

Now I just have to pay!

Hopefully I can manage an increase in salary. Cause I do wanna go on Vacation!

I did buy a new car 2 years ago; as mine was 8 years old & on its last leg; but practical, good gas mileage, no sport car in the budget...

My debt was only $23,000. I paid for school with some cash and a few scholarships. My program was a B.S. and tuition was affordable then, in 2001. I worked in an under served rural area and applied for a state payback loan for a 3 year commitment. The state paid 75% of my loan so it was paid off in the three years. If you live in a state or near an Indian Health facility that offers loan payback, go for it. I am still working in a rural and underserved tribal clinic. The rewards are great. Now, I am just starting my Master's, paying for it with some CME money and savings. The cost is about $10,000 and I won't take out a loan.

Ideally I would like to do the HRSA for 2 years, that's 60K. I can live on 40K a year for two years, so that's 80K... 140 total. Which maybe pays me off or leaves me with ~30K which I can then knock out in 3 years.

How competitive is the HRSA loan repayment program? How competitive is it if you are willing to move to any major city (not the boonies though)?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HRSA - Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)

NHSC - National Health Service Corp

The NHSC is a Federal government program that is part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Specifically, the Corps is administered by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Bureau of Clinician Recruitment and Service (BCRS).

There are more than 17 NHSC jobs available. Follow this link: http://nhscjobs.hrsa.gov/Search_HPOL.aspx

Search for the loan repayor sites. You will find lots of sites, some in good locations, some in less desirable locations. The choice is up to you. The loan money is on top of your negotiated salary. For me I make 85k base salary + call time on top of the 60k for loan repayment for two years. I plan to resign on for another contract year and have my entire student loans, undergrad and PA school, paid for in 3 years.

HRSA - Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)

NHSC - National Health Service Corp

The NHSC is a Federal government program that is part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Specifically, the Corps is administered by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Bureau of Clinician Recruitment and Service (BCRS).

There are more than 17 NHSC jobs available. Follow this link: http://nhscjobs.hrsa.gov/Search_HPOL.aspx

Search for the loan repayor sites. You will find lots of sites, some in good locations, some in less desirable locations. The choice is up to you. The loan money is on top of your negotiated salary. For me I make 85k base salary + call time on top of the 60k for loan repayment for two years. I plan to resign on for another contract year and have my entire student loans, undergrad and PA school, paid for in 3 years.

Well, the day that I made this post there were 17 OPEN (not "approved sites", but sites that actually had openings) spots. Today there are 31. In case you don't believe me:

1. Alaska- 2 jobs

2. Arizona- 1 job

3. California (northern)- 2

4. Connecticut- 1

5. Florida- 2

6. Georgia- 2

7. Hawaii- 1

8. Kentucky- 3

9. Michigan- 1

10. New Mexico- 1

11. New York- 2

12. North Carolina-2

13. Oklahoma- 4

14. South Dakota- 1

15. Texas- 4 (1 in San Antonio, 3 on the border of Mexico, Texas, and New Mexico...SCARY. I'd rather NOT have loan repayment than relocate my family there).

So yes, I went state by state and that's the entire market (as far as NHSC) is concerned. It'll be tough as a new grad to get what you currently have (which would be our DREAM option) of $85K plus NHSC. But again, doesn't look good.

Also investigate other forgiveness options. I believe there is one that will forgive your loans after 10 years if you work for a non-profit. You need to make the payments for those 10 years. There are also other goverment programs like the income contingent payment plan. Your monthly payment is based off a percentage of your income and after 20 years any remaining balance is forgiven.

The one difference between most of you guys and me is amount of debt (some of you are up there with me). I worked full time (never less than 36 hours a week) all through undergrad and did my first year and a half at a community college. Unfortunately I had to take summer classes each semester, coupled with no financial help whatsoever... so I owe 60-80K (gotta find the exact number because many are in PLUS loans), even living very modestly. Such is life.

For PA school I am debating between two places I was lucky enough to get in, one in Philly and 60K, the other in NYC and 80K. How much would you let the money in this situation influence your decision? Selling my car sort of balances out, but the end result is I will probably owe around 200K when everything is said and done and you count undergrad with PA.

I would love to pay it off within 5 years (I think that's reasonable). Are there jobs that offer loan repayment? i.e. 80K salary and say 20K repaid each year? I too am worried that NHSC is so competitive, I cannot rely on it. My plan is to live on 40K/year and pick up an extra gig. If I can get loan repayment on top of that through my work I may be able to get rid of the debt sooner than later! What do you guys think? Thanks again for everyone who has offered advice.

So I was lucky in that my parents paid my entire undergrad...so went into PA school with zero debt (no credit card debt, education loans, car loans, nothing.) I went to a private school for PA school and graduated in Dec. 2009 with about 110K in debt with varying interest rates from 5% up to 8.5%. So 10k of that is perkins loan which gets cancelled over 5 years as long as you work full time as a PA for 5 years. So that left me with 100k. I started paying my loans off while being very frugal right after I graduated since I started working right away, but my father was appalled at the 8.5% interest rate that I had for some of my loans and took out a line of credit on his house for 70k at 4.3%. So I paid 70k to the loan companies and now I pay my father $2020 a month for three years (this gets taken out monthly from his bank account.) My last and final loan payment to my father will be in May 2013. I also still had a bit over 7k left by the time we did this with the loan companies. So my boyfriend gave me 7k to pay back to him at of coarse 0% interest and I made the last payment to him this month. So that means I would have paid off a bit more than 100K (due to interest) in 3.5 years after graduating. If I had gone to a public school, I would be debt free already since that would have only cost me about 60k total. I make a bit over 90K a year after bonuses and after taxes only take home a bit over 60k. So the only way to pay my dad $2020 a month is to be frugal. Even while paying my loans off in 3.5 years after graduation with the new 4.3% interest rate, I calculated I will still pay a whopping $14k in interest for all of it in the end. That's enough to buy a car!

Archived