Hawaii Rotations

Guest MRKING

Hi everyone...I am ending my first year at MWU (AZ) (one more quarter to go YIPEEEEEE!!!!!) and it is almost time to start the second year of clinic rotations. Does anyone know of rotations available for PA students in Hawaii? My wife is Active Duty AF and we will be stationed at Hickam AFB (I think it is on O'hua). I have to do 6-week rotations in the following: Int Med, Emer Med, Fam Med, Peds, Psych, Surgery, Women's Health. Any advice or leads would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

MK

• 6 years later...

You may want to check with HAPA the Hawaii PA association for a link to the clinical coordinator. Dan Domizo is the PA to speak with. He knows who, what, where and when regarding rotations.

If there are other PA students or programs interested in doing a clinical rotation in Hawaii, please post. I would like to see how much general interest there is for this type of experience.

Hi everyone...I am ending my first year at MWU (AZ) (one more quarter to go YIPEEEEEE!!!!!) and it is almost time to start the second year of clinic rotations. Does anyone know of rotations available for PA students in Hawaii? My wife is Active Duty AF and we will be stationed at Hickam AFB (I think it is on O'hua). I have to do 6-week rotations in the following: Int Med, Emer Med, Fam Med, Peds, Psych, Surgery, Women's Health. Any advice or leads would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

MK

The Army actually has an in place program for phase II PA students. Contact Tripler Army Medical Center and speak with the Program Manager for IPAP Phase II. If the person you talk to doesn't know ask for the NCOIC of family practice. All of the phase II coordinators also seem to work in FP.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

I am also looking for a rotation in Hawaii-Oahu. It would be my peds rotation for 5 weeks March-April 2010. It will be my 8th rotation out of 10. I have family that live on Oahu so it is a great opportunity to do my rotation there and also learn more about my roots b/c I have never lived in Hawaii, I have only visited. Any direction for finding a peds preceptor is greatly appreciated!

Mahalo!

• 3 years later...
You may want to check with HAPA the Hawaii PA association for a link to the clinical coordinator. Dan Domizo is the PA to speak with. He knows who, what, where and when regarding rotations.

If there are other PA students or programs interested in doing a clinical rotation in Hawaii, please post. I would like to see how much general interest there is for this type of experience.

I am in a similar circumstance; my boyfriend is stationed at Pearl Harbor and I'm looking for rotations on Oahu as well. This thread looks old, but I'm responding anyways, with high hopes for a bit of advice. If you know of any preceptors/clinics that would accept me for a rotation or two (family medicine, internal medicine, primary care, etc), please let me know! :)

• 1 year later...

I will be looking for a Hawaii PA rotation from Florida within the next two years. (start program this summer)

• 2 weeks later...

Finding a rotation in Hawaii is VERY difficult. I was lucky enough that the doc who was in contact with our school took 2 last PA students.  He will only take med students now because PA programs don't pay their preceptors (well, ours didn't).   I DO NOT recommend contacting HAPA. I did so and this is the message I recieved from them:

Hi,
We get too many of these requests to be able to help.
Literally hundreds per year.
Competition for clinical rotations is very high here with
the NP program, medical school, nursing programs, paramedic
programs, etc.
It is beyond our scope.
Contact physician offices or hospitals directly with the
assistance of your school.
I am sorry that we can't be of more assistance.

You may try looking at this site.
http://pashadowonline.com/

Fielding Mercer, PA-C
President Elect / Past President
Hawaii Academy of Physician Assistants

You are better off cold calling people or finding a connection through someone you know.  There are limited sites and many do not want students so good luck in your search.

If this is helpful to anyone who has not applied to PA school yet:

https://www.samuelmerritt.edu/news/2012/scholarships-now-available-pt-and-pa-disadvantaged-students

They also offer a scholarship to students who are FROM Hawaii and California and wish to practice there, in underserved areas.  I believe its around $20k per year (half price tuition).  You can contact the program director if you are interested. 

• 2 years later...

Yale has several hawaii sites, dk how likely they are to share.

Probably not at all likely.  Programs put SO much work into finding clinical sites for their own students, I certainly wouldn't blame them for keeping it 'in the family', so to speak.  How awful would it be to share that info only to find out random students have taken up all the preceptors availability and their own students no longer had it as an option when THEY are the ones that identified and did the leg work in the first place.

Archived