I think I might be getting hosed?

I am a relatively new grad with one year pulm/sleep/critical care experience. I was originally interviewed for an ICU physician extender position I was quoted by HR a range of 85-95K per year. When I was offered the position, compensation offered $74,000 (less than the salary I was currently receiving). I had to fight to get the offer up to $80,000 which I was willing to accept because of the hospital's stellar reputation, opportunities for growth (line and CT training, management in the future) and a 72 hr pay period. Shift coverage was needed for days, nights and weekends and that the newest team member (me) would wind up with the most, but not all, night shifts. While discussing the schedule with my NP trainers (I am the only PA-C employed by the hospital) they mentioned that I was "dedicated" night coverage. Obviously, this was news to me and I probably wouldn't have interviewed for an all nights position. Unfortunately, the NP who hired me has since left the position. In order for me to consider working only nights my salary would need to be renegotiated. $90,000 per year (mid-range for the original salary quote) seemed appropriate. Management says no way and I feel "baited and "switched." What do ya'll think?

it's a great hospital in Atlanta and i will be trained in ICU procedures. all of the NPs are critical care and they really know their stuff. they are helpful and supportive, the hospital actually still has a pension plan for employees after 5 years. I'd hate to cut off my nose to spite my face. I can probably make more money in orthopedics or ct surgery, but I can't seem to get one of those jobs and we all know, none of them are 3 12hr shifts with time and a half for extra shifts.

You are "rationalizing" and trying to intellectualize the "bait-and-switch."

Thats ok since its YOU that ultimately has to live with it... the only problem is, since you already made up your mind to stay and accept the situation, I'm curious to know why did you feel the need to waste the time of the members here with it at all...??

Just a heads up time and a half will not make up for a low ball starting salary... But I know money is not everything but just know what you are getting into ahead of time. I know offers can look enticing at times and hard to walk away from but just take our opinions as an unbiased 3rd party. We get animated about PAs getting abused because it affects ALL of us in the end.

Speaking from some experience, once a job is turned down enough due to low salary, it forces physicians and admin to take another look at things. There was a neurosurg job in our hospital open for a long time and when I was asked if I was interested I told them, "not for what you're willing to pay." After 3 or 4 more people telling them that they raised the starting pay $10,000 per year. A qualified person came along and got another $5000 out of them. It was still low for neurosurg, but at least it was more than the RN payscale they started at.

• 1 month later...

One thing to remember is that dedicated nights means that most of what you think you will be training on is not going to be happening on your shift. Emergently, maybe, but who else will be on with you to train you? what is the staffing like? Is there someone else on shift with you to give you the training you need? Over time you will learn what you need to learn, but in my experience they treat you the very best when they are trying to "woo" you. This is as good as it gets. Think really carefully about that. What else will they be willing to bait/switch on you in the future? There are ALWAYS unrevealed 'rocks' in the water. This is the ONLY time you will be able to negotiate with them to any real extent. The average PA only negotiates a better salary/hours/401K etc by changing jobs. There are exceptions, and this will be where someone posts to tell you their story :) But, it doesnt make what I'm telling you untrue. Also, women (for some reason I'm assuming you are female, I apologize if that is untrue) do not negotiate as well or as strongly for themselves as men do. At this point, this group is invested in you. They need to fill this postion, they WANT you to start working. They do not WANT to start from scratch looking for someone else. You need to REMIND them that the initial numbers you were quoted were 85 - 95, and that it is national norm for dedicated nights to pay more. Quote the national norm of 96K for ICU PA-C. NP ICU pay may be lower, but that is not your problem, and it that is the case, you will be actually helping your future partners as they will soon be asking for raises as well :).

In your place (since it seems like from reading your post you may have actually already started the job?) what I mght say to them at this point is something like "I'm really interested in this position. I'm excited to join the team, the hospital has an excellent reputation and the benefits are outstanding. However, the national average for PA's working in the ICU is 96k. In my initial discussions regarding this position with NP so and so I was quoted 85-95K as the salary. I was actually shocked to be offered 74K originally, and while not happy to settle at 80k I decided that with all of the other matters in balance I was willing to move forward, and was excited to start this new position. However, with the new information that I am actually expected to be working dedicated nights I presented to you what I believe to be a reasonable salary in the mid range of the original salary range that was quoted to me by NP so and so. I do not believe that 16K below the national average for working a dedicated nights schedule is a fair or equitable wage, and I would not have accepted the position had the schedule been made clear to me when I interviewed. If we are unable to come to an agreement on a more appropriate salary or more equitable division of shifts, I will be forced to look for a new position." and see what they say. My bet is that they will panic. Your NP coworkers will respect you. and management will stop trying to walk all over you.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know why the person who hired you is no longer there?

I'd be wary of this place. It's one thing to use established fame as leverage in hiring; it's another thing entirely to basically lie to a potential hire and use their reputation to keep you there because the deal is "good enough". Was the originally quoted number the "compensation" or the "salary"? Compensation could have included benefits/perks and been equivalent to the 85k.

Archived