Why Did You Want To Be A PA?

good step up from medic. better scope of practice, better hours and easier on the back. didn't have to take ochem.

I like being a pa about 80% of the time but would be happier as a doc. scope of practice issues and respect are my major issues with the profession. being supervised by people that I trained(which has happened) seems inappropriate. I have no problem with being supervised by someone who knows more than I do.

in order to work in a position with a reasonable scope of practice at which I am respected by my peers I have to work predominately nights and weekends in solo and rural positions.

To be honest....Money.

I had just finished my BS in econ and was looking at econ jobs, but they were only paying low 40's. I still enjoyed medicine after being a corpsman, and thought about it. Did a little research and discovered I could finish in 2 years and make 65+.......

That was about it. Money drives most of my decisions in life. One of the reasons I liked econ so much. Description of human behaviour through a singular medium....money.

I wish I could say that there was some higher altruistic notion...the Marcus Welby thing....but nah.....

anyone else? LESH, andersenpa, Contrarian, jmj etc...let's hear it!

Worked with PAs in the Military and the VA. Wanted to be more than a Med Lab Tech. Wanted to return home one day and practice in a rural clinic. Didn't turn out that way. LOL. Yes, I enjoy my job and the chance to get more PAs trained for Primary Care rural practice.

It was the next logical step...

I started as a Army National Guard Combat Medic (EMT-B) at 17yrs old.

Returned home (Chicago) from training and worked as a CNA and Psych Tech for 1.5yrs.

Went active duty full time military, went to Airborne School and served as a Army Medic occasionally (~2x/yr for 30 day stints) working with Army PAs for about 6.5 more yrs.

During this time, completed EMT-I & EMT-P programs.

Discharged from the Army and worked a ambulance company in Chicago for about 1.5 yrs... then ED as a PCT III (Paramedic in Hospital ED) while attending a diploma LPN/RN program.

Moved upstairs to the CCU and worked as a CCRN for a few yrs... then applied for a dual NP/PA program.

So I took a "step-wise" approach (CNA; EMT-B/I/P; LPN/RN) and this (FNP/PA) seemed like the next logical step.

It was the next logical step...

I started as a Army National Guard Combat Medic (EMT-B) at 17yrs old.

Returned home (Chicago) from training for 1.5yrs and worked as a CNA and Psych Tech.

Went Active duty, went to Airborne School and served as a Army Medic occasionally(~2x/yr for 30 day stints) working with Army PAs for about 6.5 more yrs.

During this time, completed EMT-I & EMT-P programs.

Discharged from the Army and worked a ambulance company in Chicago for about 1.5 yrs... then ED as a PCT III (Paramedic in Hospital ED) while attending a diploma LPN/RN program.

Moved upstairs to the CCU and worked as a CCRN for a few yrs... then applied for a dual NP/PA program.

So I took a "step-wise" approach (CNA; EMT-B/I/P; LPN/RN) and this (FNP/PA) seemed like the next logical step.

But ... didn't you ever shadow??

Found out about it in HS. Seemed like a good profession, get in and start practicing after a few yrs. Did HHA and CNA, Cardiac ICU Unit Tech/Clerk both part time while in undergrad and then for about 1 yr after finishing my BS.

I'm the transition generation between the crusty old medics and zero HCE group (no disrespect, crusties and zeroes).

Good job. Good money. Beat the system in terms of salary for yrs of training relative docs by a long shot. Found a way to make it work- but it's hard work.

very funny. I know you are kidding. pa's of my generation(contrarian, myself, physasst and the like) worked with pa's for years before applying.....

Well what was really funny, was after leaving the Navy (having worked with PA's extensively in the military), I didn't touch a patient for years. I worked as a carpenter in the summers, finished my BS, bartended occasionally, and played in a heavy metal band on the weekends to pay for school. Then in my junior year, I finaggled a job as an MLT.....really struggled with whether or not to go econ or PA...and then the money made the decision for me.

PA is my 3rd career, and I learned of PAs at my 2nd. 2nd was state employee 17 years as adjudicator for disability. could not hack the inequities of that program any longer. talked with a lot of PAs especially Cook Co Hosp ( chicago Illinois). got me interested..so researched and decided, at the ripe old age of 51 , to go for it.

( B.A. in Labor Economics)

took me three years to get my prereques in orgo chem, bio chem, chem chem (or so it seemed) immunology, biology a & P all of them and two 1/2 years as Phlebotomist f/t while in classes. got into a program & graduated class of 2003...oldest of my class by a good 15 years. I was always afraid I couldn't keep up in academics or energy with the youngsters, but I did. now I specialize in psych. have accepted new job in Florida...just waiting (and waiting, waiting) for my licensure.

probably more than you wanted to know, but you know how it is with us geezers...just keep talking 'bout the old days. :smile:

appreciate the response alleycat and congrats on the new job! for those of you who missed the second part to the question or those of you who have yet to answer, has your time as a PA fulfilled you initial motivation for pursuing the profession? Whether it be money or whatever else motivated you?

Well, I make "okay" money...but not anywhere close to what I would define as wealthy...so....

To be honest no...but I don't think that I am the best example, as I think it says far more about me, then it does the profession. I tend to rarely ever be happy or satisfied with anything. That's just me. I'd stay in school for the rest of my life if I could. I've thought about finishing my econ education by pursuing a PhD in econ, but I don't know what I'd do with it cause I have ZERO interest in ever teaching. Sometimes I think about law school too, but mostly now, I am trying to move into full time hospital administration. But, to be honest, I probably won't ever be happy or satisfied with that either.....who knows. Life is a journey....I've made a LOT of mistakes...but I'm still learning and trying to grow as a person.

AlleyCat...

I see you spent some time in my old stomping grounds.

I grew (birth to 17) up on the southside (Altgeld Gardens and Englewood)

I attended Kennedy-King College (city colleges of chicago) for my RN and actually spent considerable time a "the County" for nursing rotations.

Guess you won't miss the snow and "that hawk" when you get settled in florida.

Contrarian..

.yeah, I lived in Oak Park for bout a year, then hubby got his invite from uncle sam, thus army wife for his 3 years. spent it in Kaiserslautern Germany...great years there. then spent lots of time being a single parent , working to support us, working for a B.A.

when I worked for the state as adjudicator for disability, my area of the state was the hard south side..cabrini green et al. as said, talked a lot with PAs at Cook co. my claimants wanting disability didn't have bus fare to travel north to see a doc so they had a hard time meeting the rules of documentation. my original goal was to work in such underserved areas....didn't work out that way though.

money is okay, but there is always room for more. don't mind the cold weather , just the slippery-fall-down-brake-sumptin weather. I've survived tornadoes galour, now I get to learn all about Hurricanes. wheeeeee. the fun never ends:smile:

I remember Englewood addresses!!:=D:

& glad you made your goals. now whatta ya gonna do?? goal-wise that is.

Found out about it in HS. Seemed like a good profession, get in and start practicing after a few yrs. Did HHA and CNA, Cardiac ICU Unit Tech/Clerk both part time while in undergrad and then for about 1 yr after finishing my BS. I'm the transition generation between the crusty old medics and zero HCE group (no disrespect, crusties and zeroes)

None taken.

..so researched and decided, at the ripe old age of 51 , to go for it...........took me three years to get my prereques in orgo chem, bio chem, chem chem (or so it seemed) immunology, biology a & P all of them and two 1/2 years as Phlebotomist f/t while in classes. got into a program & graduated class of 2003...oldest of my class by a good 15 years.

What an inspiration!!

I’m sort of in the same boat………going back to school later in life.

Working on my pre-reqs (working very hard!), but sometimes questioning myself because of my age….will I get into PA school, will the adcom pick someone younger even if I have good stats? Is it going to be hard to find a job? How long will I be able to work after I graduate?.....etc

Alleycat you just gave me the push that I needed! Thanks !

Archived