Neurosurgery Compensation Debunk?

Recently I was speaking with a fellow classmate who expressed an interest in specializing in neurosurg. and said that he "expects to be start at $150K as a new grad." SAY WHAT?!

Thoughts?

We were both in the same undergrad Neuroscience program at BYU, but that seems like an extremely high expectation of starting salary, especially as a new grad. Am I wrong? I mean, if that were the case it seems like there would be a lot less demand for neurosurgery PA's. I mean, I could understand $80-90K, but $150K?

If you consider what neurosurgeons make (4-500 and up), I don't think his figure sounds too high at all. And in searching for employment as a new grad, many places were offering around 90K to new grads, 'just' in general practice. He might be speaking on the high end of things, but I would think that the beast that is neurosurg could certainly start off at least over 100K somewhere.

I think 150 is not unreasonable but definitely on the high end. I think a lot depends on the person and how hard they are looking. A lot of new grads who expect low salaries will often take low salaries. It kind of like a self perpetuating cycle.

I agree with you Jason09.I understand that the economy is tough but a lot of new grads are getting so low balled out there and many are accepting ridiculous offers. Someone told me that the hiring physician said 70K was competitive because 'it is on the aapa website' that that is what PAs make.I was like..'what??!!'. He was going to accept it because he was tired of looking for a job etc etc. I know of another new grad who accepted a 150K package..so yes you will get paid what you think you are worth..

neurosurg pa with a few yrs of experience 150k maybe but not as a new grad....90-110k as a new grad is probably closer to the actual range, especially if it requires lots of call, early am rounding, etc[/QU

150K was his total package not the base salary which was in the high 90s.

150K was his total package not the base salary which was in the high 90s.

that makes more sense. if it includes retirement and all bennies I might believe the 150k figure.

it's important to differentiate salary vs "the whole package" in these discussions.

using this definition 150k would be reasonable for many positions in em, surgery, ortho, and derm as well.

Remember that the average salary for surg specialty PAs is around 100-120k. New grad salaries will almost always be less.

The guy mentioned in the OP, neuroscience undergrad or not, has unrealistic expectations to get 150 right out of school.

Anything is possible, but this is highly improbable, based on the salary data.

Archived