"Sponsoring Physician""

How should the PA's practice plan define the physician of record?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How should the PA's practice plan define the physician of record?

• Supervising Physician
    • Sponsoring Physician

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this depends on where we are in our experience with practice.

New grads are most often 'supervised'... while experienced PAs are often what we here consider 'sponsored.'

So I would be down for teasing that out IF there was a fluid (non-static) experience requirement mandated.

Something like a minimum amount of time practicing in a given area (specialty) to move from "supervision" to "sponsorship". Change specialties... clock resets.

Contrarian

so...i was one of the few who initially voted 'Supervising Physician', but i'd be down for something like this

I think this depends on where we are in our experience with practice.

New grads are most often 'supervised'... while experienced PAs are often what we here consider 'sponsored.'

So I would be down for teasing that out IF there was a fluid (non-static) experience requirement mandated.

Something like a minimum amount of time practicing in a given area (specialty) to move from "supervision" to "sponsorship". Change specialties... clock resets.

Contrarian

so...i was one of the few who initially voted 'Supervising Physician', but i'd be down for something like this

In a perfect world, I wouldn't mind having a supervising physician who is a thought leader and whom I deeply respect in the area I work. I could name about 50 such physicians around the country. I was happy and proud to call Jerry Swanson, MD (at Mayo Clinic) my supervising physician. I was honored when he reviewed my charts, advised me or took advice from me. The problem arises in the more common circumstances where the SP doesn't have much to offer you except for license requirements. They don't look at your charts because they know that you chart much better than they do, you perform better than they do and they simply have nothing to offer. So sponsoring makes more sense. They meet the legal requirements.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't mind having a supervising physician who is a thought leader and whom I deeply respect in the area I work. I could name about 50 such physicians around the country. I was happy and proud to call Jerry Swanson, MD (at Mayo Clinic) my supervising physician. I was honored when he reviewed my charts, advised me or took advice from me. The problem arises in the more common circumstances where the SP doesn't have much to offer you except for license requirements. They don't look at your charts because they know that you chart much better than they do, you perform better than they do and they simply have nothing to offer. So sponsoring makes more sense. They meet the legal requirements.

Archived