Senior as Undergraduate with no HCE

My first two and a half years at my University was completing the pre-requisite courses for Pharmacy while doing a few extracurricular activities such as research assistant, tutor, and couple volunteer opportunities. For the other half of my third year, I wanted to try Engineering, so I went for a Computer Science curriculum and here I am now, my first semester as a fourth year that dropped out of Engineering during the middle of the semester. 

I have been going through depression and trying to figure out what it is exactly that I want to do. I have even considered listing in the military or simply just drop out of college.

After some time, my goal now is to complete my Biological Sciences major, finish my remaining pre-requisites for PA, and graduate at December 2016. Pharmacy school was initially my goal as a Freshman, but this was something my parents wanted me to get into and I was never really interested in Pharmacy. 

So, why PA school? I don't think I can properly answer this yet..

But here's what I think: Since I can comprehend science classes (Anatomy, Biology, Chemistry) much better than the rigorous Computer Science courses, I feel satisfied. Therefore, I can use them for any applications confidently, which would make me much more happier. If I'm happy, then I can make my patients happy. If I'm a Software Engineer who is not happy, then my co-workers and customers would not be happy. 

But that still does not justify why I am choosing PA over Pharmacy, so my answer is not complete yet.

But let's say that I found my answer and I am 100% determined to enroll into PA school..

My main reason for posting this thread is to ask: Do I have any chances of enrolling into PA School after applying for Fall 2018?

Here's my plan for right now:

My anticipated entry date to PA school is Fall 2018

*I am a student at an EMT course right now. After completion (end of January - start of Fall semester), I plan to work part-time for the remaining Fall Semester, then work full-time over Summer. Then, continue working part-time for Spring Semester, graduate with Biological Sciences major, and then work as a full-time EMT until entry.

*I am going through few volunteer opportunities at hospitals right now. I will definitely participate in much more volunteer activities in the future.

*I will be shadowing a PA next Friday (once every week)

**My GPA is 3.79, but it has been nearly a year since I have taken any science classes (PA schools require that you still have those science classes fresh in your mind, so time is really important)

**I am an Honor's Student who is currently looking for research opportunities so I could graduate with Honor's. (I'm considering dropping out of Honor's if it's not worth my time, but I guess it may help me stand out, so I'm still debating.)

In summary:

Possible 1-2 years of HCE as an EMT before applying

PA Shadowing opportunities available for me

Shadowed a Clinical Pharmacist via Telemedicine

Participation in many volunteer activities

1 year of research experience for development of vaccine for treatment of cancerous cells

Peer-Leader and Tutor for Chemistry

Possible Honor's student graduate with additional research experience

Good GPA (3.79+) and GRE score (not taken yet)

I think that's all I have planned for now. Will this work out? Usually, applicants have 4+ years of HCE which really worries me. I wouldn't mind taking more gap years and apply for Fall 2020, but again, the PA schools around my area require that I still have these science classes fresh in my head. 

Any additional advices would be greatly appreciate. Thank you.

And also thank you for taking the time to read my long post.

So, why PA school? I don't think I can properly answer this yet..

But here's what I think: Since I can comprehend science classes (Anatomy, Biology, Chemistry) much better than the rigorous Computer Science courses, I feel satisfied. Therefore, I can use them for any applications confidently, which would make me much more happier. If I'm happy, then I can make my patients happy. If I'm a Software Engineer who is not happy, then my co-workers and customers would not be happy. 

But that still does not justify why I am choosing PA over Pharmacy, so my answer is not complete yet.

But let's say that I found my answer and I am 100% determined to enroll into PA school..

This should make for an interesting personal statement. 

Your GPA is fine. Assuming that you have taken all necessary prerequisites and you do reasonably well on the GRE, you should be fine academically.

A year or two of EMT experience is probably going to be plenty given the current profile of PA school applicants.

But it seems to me that you're putting the cart way in front of the horse here. If you can't articulate why you want to be a PA (I like science is not a good reason), then you need to figure that out FIRST. Just feeling like you know really isn't sufficient. It won't be sufficient in the application, in an interview, when you're busting your tail in school, or when you're actually taking care of patients. So, take advantage of your shadowing opportunities. Then figure out if this is really what you want to do...while keeping in mind that at one point you were at least reasonably sure that you wanted to do pharmacy and engineering. 

I'm not saying that the PA route isn't right for you...I'm just not sure (based on what you're saying) that you can be really confident that it is.

Best of luck.

First of all, you shouldn't feel bad that you tried some things and changed your mind. Lots of really interesting people did that. Second, nothing that you've learned so far is lost. An engineering background is great for medicine. Third, there is enough time to finish your prep for PA school.

I echo Doug's statements. You have already tried a few career options and changed direction. It is important that you learn enough about yourself and the PA universe to be sure that it's the right choice for you. Depending on where you get experience as an EMT, that could be a great way to see how you feel practicing medicine (at least to a degree). 

I've found it helpful to try things, if only to see how it makes you feel. That's not a bad way to connect with whatever your next mission should be. I recommend that you do that and be less concerned with what year you apply.

Good luck!

EMT isn't the only option for health care experience.  Are you someone who thrives on adrenaline, and likes to work under pressure?  Great, go to EMT school.  But there are other options.  Take a careful look at the accepted applicant stats page on this forum, to get a sense of what has helped others earn admission.  It's entirely possible you might thrive, and get better stories out of a different type of HCE.

Archived