PA's Job Satisfaction

I'd be interested in hearing from PA's who work in very rural areas where they don't have face-to-face contact with the SP on a regular basis. Do you think there would be a different level of satisfaction as they don't have as many restrictions on them? For instance, a PA who is the only provider in a ED on the shift, or one who works in rural Alaska and would have to fly to see there PA. I'm sure there are a lot more examples! Thanks to anyone who can provide any insight into this :)!

I'd be interested in hearing from PA's who work in very rural areas where they don't have face-to-face contact with the SP on a regular basis. Do you think there would be a different level of satisfaction as they don't have as many restrictions on them? :)!

yup. working solo is as good as it gets. I work the vast majority( 80% or so) of my shifts without a doc in house. it's nice to not get second guessed and have the staff look to you for answers. A consult is only a phone call away so I can get advice if I want/need it. this is not a situation a new grad should consider for at least 5 yrs for most folks.

Where I work, all PAs work solo in fast track. It's a reputable, busy, inner-city academic hospital in Manhattan NY. I only had 1 year experience as a PA when I got hired and they put me in fast track solo as well. But we only work in fast track on average 2-3 shifts a month (25% of your shifts) In Main or critical area of ED, I've never heard PAs work independently, well not in academic setting.

when I meant solo I meant no doc in house at all as opposed to fast track where they are down the hall. at my current job I see every pt and do every procedure regardless of acuity so I get all the stemis but I also get all the perirectal abscesses....

there are not any "academic medical ctrs" that have pa's staffing entire depts solo but many reasonably busy rural hospitals have all in house staff as pa's in the emergency dept and/or working as hospitalists.

when I meant solo I meant no doc in house at all as opposed to fast track where they are down the hall. at my current job I see every pt and do every procedure regardless of acuity so I get all the stemis but I also get all the perirectal abscesses....

there are not any "academic medical ctrs" that have pa's staffing entire depts solo but many reasonably busy rural hospitals have all in house staff as pa's in the emergency dept and/or working as hospitalists.

PA seeing any acuity in the ED as solo provider is quite impressive. I thought as PA, we can never be independent as far as treating mid-high acuity patient in the ED everywhere.

that is great to know. I would want to get paid nearly the same as what ED doc makes. EM PA with >15 yrs experience in all acuity = EM Attending. same difference.

oh, EMEDPA...I have not thought of peri-rectal abscesses in a looong time, and now here you go mentioning it! I remember being on an overnight shift covering gen surg, and a patient admitted with a PRA ruptured during the night -- the foul fluid shot across the room and hit the wall. ARGH! I didn't get the smell of pus out of my nostrils for a week. but hey -- those hot compresses really work, don't they?!

PA seeing any acuity in the ED as solo provider is quite impressive. I thought as PA, we can never be independent as far as treating mid-high acuity patient in the ED everywhere.

that is great to know. I would want to get paid nearly the same as what ED doc makes. EM PA with >15 yrs experience in all acuity = EM Attending. same difference.

pa's run entire depts., work as ems medical directors, etc.

they have an sp(so are not independent) but are "supervised" remotely via chart review, etc.

pa $$ is good for working solo but nowhere near what a doc makes and honestly not that much more than working in other er settings. the reward is the freedom and scope of practice, not so much the pay.

experienced em pa's aren't er docs but I think it's fair to say we are the next best thing, certainly better than an inexperienced fp doc or internist trying to work in the er....

Very interesting thread! I was looking at a similar thread on SDN "Physician Job Satisfaction" or something of the sort, and it's definitely true that "the grass is always greener on the other side." I was also considering med school, I'm only 23 years young, but I'm afraid of "loosing my soul" during residency. From reading the posts on the SDN thread, so many physicians were burnt out from residency, and felt "trapped' in their career. After spending 200k+ in loans plus 4 years of grueling med school, they felt they had to keep on trucking, even though they weren't happy. Throw in the ****ty pay as a resident and loooong hours (~80), I feel relieved that I'm choosing another route to practice what I already love.

Anyone else care to share their experiences, good or bad?

Very interesting thread! I was looking at a similar thread on SDN "Physician Job Satisfaction" or something of the sort, and it's definitely true that "the grass is always greener on the other side." I was also considering med school, I'm only 23 years young, but I'm afraid of "loosing my soul" during residency. From reading the posts on the SDN thread, so many physicians were burnt out from residency, and felt "trapped' in their career. After spending 200k+ in loans plus 4 years of grueling med school, they felt they had to keep on trucking, even though they weren't happy. Throw in the ****ty pay as a resident and loooong hours (~80), I feel relieved that I'm choosing another route to practice what I already love.

Anyone else care to share their experiences, good or bad?

That's the same as PAs complaining about job satisfaction based on PA school, Yes residency is longer but the life afterwards is infintely better.

Come on EMED, really? I think you are seriously selling yourself short. With all the experience you have in EM you think you are only better well equipped than an inexperienced FP doc or internist moonlighting in the ER?

It's all how you phrase it. put differently I think a good em pa is better equipped to work in the ed than ANY physician who is not an em physician.

Archived