Apply Now or wait?

I am getting close to finishing my CASPA. I have pretty much everything in place but I have one problem. My GRE. I took it last week, and did not score anywhere near what I expected. I did terribly, and really cannot imagine my application being competitive with this score. My fault because I did not study more than a week for the test. I have a new date to retake it July 18th. My question is, should I submit now with my not-so-great score or wait until I have taken it again? I'm worried that if I don't submit now, come July it may take a while for CASPA to process my application and mail it to schools. I am also worried that if I do send it off now with that score, schools may not want to consider me. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks :)

Depends on the schools you are applying to (deadlines and GRE requirements) and how bad you did. If your schools application deadlines are approaching, I would say submit CASPA when completed, because it's going to take some time for CASPA to process it and send it out. PLUS, you can retake the GRE in the meantime and resend your scores to particular schools. Also, it wouldn't hurt to submit your CASPA, send the admissions office an email informing them that you are planning to retake it and will send them your new score. Keep in mind that if you do decide to submit in mid-late July, it will be during a time when alot of applicants will begin to submit their CASPA applications and not only will it take time to process, but possibly put you at a slight disadvantage in earning an interview, especially for schools with rolling admissions. I know a good amount of program's deadlines are around September/October/November, but I'm not sure what it is exactly for the programs you are applying to. The earlier you applying, the better your chances. I recommend e-submitting your application atleast a month prior to your school's deadlines. Your GRE score isn't going to be the reason why you earned or didn't earn an interview. Your scores will only supplement and confirm your overall package (gpa, HCE, LORs, Personal Statement, volunteer and shadowng experiences, etc). But what you do is up to you. If you got time and know you will do better, definitely wait to apply and do well on the GRE re-take, especially if your programs stress a good amount on GRE scores.

i submitted my caspa a couple weeks ago and it was mailed out early this week. I am taking the GRE next week and submitting scores directly to schools. By the time my application is received/reviewed (and my schools won't review it anyways until GRE score is available) I will have those scores sent directly. I didn't see any point in waiting, esp since we send scores directly. I don't know whether its kept in queue, given I submitted early, or if it goes to the bottom of the stack once the scores are in. Either way, the CASPA is out of my hands now and thats the way I prefer it, so i can concentrate on finishing courses and the GRE.

I hated the GRE from the start of my looking into it ... it seemed like a bizarre test which could only be excelled on if you pay a thou to the Kaplan center for the prep course. And what was up with the English section ... those were words that no one on the planet ever uses. So I made it a point to only apply to schools that didn't require it ... it was my opinion that the reason they didn't require it might be because they saw it as inconsequential or undetermining as I did, and that meant that they were my peeps :D

I hated the GRE from the start of my looking into it ... it seemed like a bizarre test which could only be excelled on if you pay a thou to the Kaplan center for the prep course. And what was up with the English section ... those were words that no one on the planet ever uses. So I made it a point to only apply to schools that didn't require it ... it was my opinion that the reason they didn't require it might be because they saw it as inconsequential or undetermining as I did, and that meant that they were my peeps :D

Where are you applying? I live in FL. I am applying to schools in FL, GA, SC, and LA...all of my schools require the GRE. :(

mary if you look at the CASPA list of participating schools you will see what entrance tests the programs require (double check with the programs as well)...I found that most northern schools did not require the GRE and I think some West coast programs as well. UNE I think is one that did not require it and I must say after visiting them, its an excellent program! the faculty and staff were amazingly nice and personable

Where are you applying? I live in FL. I am applying to schools in FL, GA, SC, and LA...all of my schools require the GRE. :(

This was 3 years ago ... I went through all 140 schools and selected the ones that didn't require the GRE and then narrowed it down from there. Anyhow, I'm sure you'll do fine; most programs agree that the GRE is not an objective way to gauge an applicant.

mary if you look at the CASPA list of participating schools you will see what entrance tests the programs require (double check with the programs as well)...I found that most northern schools did not require the GRE and I think some West coast programs as well. UNE I think is one that did not require it and I must say after visiting them, its an excellent program! the faculty and staff were amazingly nice and personable

My only problem is that I cannot go far from Florida. I am newly married and I do not think I could be that far from my husband. That is really the only thing that has me tied down to this region of GRE requiring schools.

Archived