Need recs for first job salary

Hey all,

I just graduated school last month and taking boards this Friday.  I have some interviews for psych PA and was wondering what would be a good salary range I can negotiate with.  I've googled this topic and was weary about the sources that posted ranges.  I've been offered $82k and I feel like they're low-balling me for haggling purposes.

Please let me know what you all think!

Thank you!

Psych is big money if you are willing to go rural. Honestly, psych is one of those fields you should absolutely do a fellowship in unless you want to do med refill visits day in and day out. There are a few out there. I see job ads for 130k+ plus loan repayment eligibility all the time. They probably will go to a psych NP unless you do a fellowship though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Totally depends on where you are. Keep in mind you have almost zero bargaining power as a new grad. $82 isn't that bad, but it's not that good either.

My second gig out of school (very short first gig) started me at $72k. Yes, you read that right. But like I said it's getting tougher and tougher out there for new grads. Why would someone pay you 90-95k when they have to train you and see diminished production for a while when they could just hire an experienced PA?

Psych is big money if you are willing to go rural. Honestly, psych is one of those fields you should absolutely do a fellowship in unless you want to do med refill visits day in and day out. There are a few out there. I see job ads for 130k+ plus loan repayment eligibility all the time. They probably will go to a psych NP unless you do a fellowship though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Psych is big money if you go rural?  I don't see that at all.  In the rural areas I work psych is handled by government contractor who is just terrible.  They have one FMG psychiatrist available by phone.  What makes you say rural psych is bigger money??

EM is bigger money for PAs in rural areas because hospitals are required to have EDs.  But there is no requirement for hospitals to have psych coverage, so why would rural areas pay more?  

Thank you everybody for your responses!

I can see the point about a new grad having lower negotiation powers.  At what point would it be reasonable to ask for more? Even if it is a specialty, I haven't had any specialty training save the 5 week mental health rotation (which was a grand learning experience) to justify higher pay.

The only psych fellowship I could find was from University of Iowa.  If there are others, would you be able to point me in the right direction?

Again, I appreciate all the input!

Thank you everybody for your responses!

I can see the point about a new grad having lower negotiation powers.  At what point would it be reasonable to ask for more? Even if it is a specialty, I haven't had any specialty training save the 5 week mental health rotation (which was a grand learning experience) to justify higher pay.

The only psych fellowship I could find was from University of Iowa.  If there are others, would you be able to point me in the right direction?

Again, I appreciate all the input!

Regions Hospital in MN, Texas Tech in TX(1-2 years old), and CHS in NC(brand new) have one.  The University of Iowa program looks pretty awesome from what I read last time I visited their website.

Psych is big money if you go rural?  I don't see that at all.  In the rural areas I work psych is handled by government contractor who is just terrible.  They have one FMG psychiatrist available by phone.  What makes you say rural psych is bigger money??

EM is bigger money for PAs in rural areas because hospitals are required to have EDs.  But there is no requirement for hospitals to have psych coverage, so why would rural areas pay more?  

Check out Delta HCP for examples of what's out there.  

I am not sure what state you are in. But that is about the range that people in my class have been getting. 80s-90s plus benefits. Average PTO seems to be 2 weeks. Average CME seems to be around 1000. Other benefits have not been great.

I was a little disappointed when I started getting offers, too. Because I was expecting to make close to 100 grand when I graduated. Yes, that's possible in rural but I'm realizing that in major cities below 80s to mid 80s is what is average.

Personally, I think that is still low enough that you can bargain a little bit. You are right that we are new grads and basically have to be trained and maybe don't have as much bargaining power. But I don't see the harm in asking for 85.

I got this recruiter email today:

•          Total W-2 package over $120k!

•          Outpatient Psychiatric Clinic
•          8:30 am - 5:30 pm Monday - Friday w/ optional call
•          15-22 patients per day
•          Competetive benefit package - Health/Life/Dental/401k
•          Experience Preferred but willing to train an Exceptional New Grad

So it's somewhere in the 90-100k base salary range. This is in NC.

• 2 weeks later...

For reference, I am a new grad in psych. I manage a 25bed acute psych floor. My doc rounds every morning. I managed the medical aspect, do all admissions and discharges and any consults on the med/surg floors. My starting salary was 90k for 3 months and then increased to 100k. I'm am in rural eastern NC.

Archived