Learning about procedures before school?

I will be going back to school full time to take my science pre-reqs next year.  I want to use my time wisely and was wondering what are some good skills to build/certifications to have.

I'm not worried about these helping me get into school as I already have 1000+ hours of HCE.  I really just want to be as prepared as possible to succeed once I am there.

So far I've come up with:

• Phlebotomist
  • EKG Technician
  • Pharmacy Tech

What else can you guys recommend?  Should I take courses on suturing so I'm familiar with the process prior to starting PA school?  What other procedures can I learn prior to PA school?  Anything?

I'm currently a EMT-CC (advanced life support) and can hone most of these skills while on the ambulance.  I plan on being very active in EMS once I am back at school.

Thank you!

It kind of sounds like you are trying to pad your application.  Generally, this is not looked upon as good, and you can bet adcoms will see through it quickly with just a few questions.

Before I left for the Navy to be a medic, I pre-trained for a total of 0 hours with respect to medical procedures and techniques.  We learned all we needed to know in school, then honed those skills in the clinic and out in the field.  It certainly wouldn't hurt you to start learning suturing, lines, lead placements, but it's not going to put you at a competitive advantage academically and you will learn it in school anyways, so why bother?  Focus on getting in, worry about what you'll do when are there.

sounds like you might end up in EM or critical care later. Agree with above, but if you want the skills just for the sake of having them these helped me:

blood draws, IM/SubQ injections, IV starts, TB testing, ekgs, neb tx, 1st assist lac repairs/I+Ds, splinting skills, etc

Basically ER tech skills in a place that lets the techs do a lot and doesn't have enough nurses...my first job in health care for example....:)

Hmmmm I was thinking of becoming a paramedic during the year when I apply and when the PA program would start. Do you think ER tech would be a better experience? With the medic id get to do rotations through a lot of different parts of the hospital (er, or, nicu, etc.)

Hmmmm I was thinking of becoming a paramedic during the year when I apply and when the PA program would start. Do you think ER tech would be a better experience? With the medic id get to do rotations through a lot of different parts of the hospital (er, or, nicu, etc.)

medic is certainly better training, but I would only do it if you could work as a medic for a year or more after medic school. the training without application would be less helpful. I was a medic for 5 years before becoming a PA. it set a strong foundation for me in EM and has helped me land every job worth having I have ever gotten.

• Administrator

I don't think Adcoms look at advanced skills classes as trying to pad your application.  I had IV and ACLS training as an EMT-B when I applied--didn't mean I could DO anything yet, but at least I knew about it and wanted to increase my scope of practice in that direction.

IMO, tech jobs nowadays are mostly good for the exposure. It's been a while since somebody said "hey you wanna try this?" I'm at a big ED so that's likely part of it (residents/students), however my time in the bus was similar. I think in today's medicolegal environment there is not a ton of room for free styling anymore. No more hangover ivs, no more "yeah give it a shot", and very much "you're getting written up."

I spent a lot of time chasing the perfect job and now, at this point, I'm honing my clinical judgment and improving my knowledge as well as networking for the future. I have ha jobs where I did more but being very close with the physicians (ours and the other specialties) has worked out better for me. Think, in my last job I got really good at foleys. What a dumb skill to get good at...thank god it's no longer in my scope of practice

I am waiting for my turn to do cardiac massage, however. All our trauma surgeons know I get first crack (nyuk) at it. That's kinda indicative of the hustle though, right? That I have the standing promise over the surgical/EM residents? Too bad chests never seem to get opened on day shift haha.

My 2c.

my tech experience was at really small places, mostly with 5 beds or less, and this was almost 30 years ago so "see one, do one" was still in full swing. . often I was the only non-physician there so if a nursing task came up, I did it. by my last year there I was scheduled interchangeably with the nursing staff. I did their full scope of practice with 2 exceptions; foleys and hanging blood and no one there ever got blood.

Archived