For those of you who just started this summer, how is your first semester going?

As I am taking a quick break from studying for a major physio exam, here are some random thoughts about the 1st 2 months:

-- the 'fire hose' rarely lets up!

-- every time I feel discouraged at info overload, we seem to have another clinical skills session that reminds me why I want to be here

-- the class ahead of mine has been AWESOME in helping us be successful

-- I have major angst that my children are going to suffer due to the limited time I have with them right now ... But,

-- I know all my children, & the rest of my family, are proud of me and will do whatever they can to help me survive & succeed

-- my academic advisor is AWESOME too - supportive and provides concrete and substantive aid where and when I need it

-- sometimes there are better resources (books, apps, etc) than the ones the program has chosen

-- flexibility is essential (schedules can change, sometimes with little notice)

-- the weather is great ... and I wish I saw more of it

-- if I need help, all I have to do is ask

-- I am not alone; there are ~59 other people in this 'boat' with me

Summer? What's that? ????

Also studying for big physiology exam (Thursday). Just got done with a big gross anatomy lab practical/written today. Overwhelmed and stressed. The "numb phase" is beginning to set in.

What are you guys studying currently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently in 3rd quarter, my program started early (January). The biggest surprise for me was navigating 100+ PowerPoint slides per day, per class. Learning how to dissect the relevant info quickly and effectively will be an important skill

7 weeks in! Fire house analogy is spot on. Our semester consists of Anatomy, Clinical Reasoning, Physical Diagnosis and Pyschosocial Aspects of Healthcare. I agree that sometimes I do get overwhelmed, but everything seems to fall into place. Currently we are in "lower extremity week." We had our thorax, abdomen and pelvis exam on Monday for cadaver and written lecture and then we will have lower extremity this Monday. Enjoying it though and we have an awesome class! :)

The hardest part so far is trying to figure out what I need to study and the best way to study. There is so much info from so many sources and its easy to get lost. In undergrad I knew exactly what I needed to study - here it's guided by objectives and up to you to figure out the best way to meet them. Also im still not used to taking notes directly on pdfs and not using a notebook. Just so many changes from how I studied in undergrad!

I really can't believe a month and a half has already passed! So far my PA school experience has been amazing. Mostly because i can't imagine a better group of classmates to go through this with or a more caring group of faculty. But that's not to say it hasn't also been extremely difficult. I'm struggling the most with my time management skills and how to balance all these different classes at once. It got easier once I finally accepted that I will never be on top of everything like I was in undergrad and it's okay. Just have to keep my head above water and keep swimming!

I want to quit every day, but I keep going. I'm doing fairly well in all my classes, but I have a lot of feelings of not fitting in or belonging. I'm self-conscious, so physical diagnosis skills lab is tough - baring myself to my class in my sports bra. Anyway, most of my issues have to do with the emotional aspects of this endeavor. I'm an older student (married with older kids), and I don't live near campus, so I think there's a barrier there.

I'm trying to remind myself that I can do this and that I want to do this even though I have a freak out before every exam.

Anatomy is a big weakness for me too. It just doesn't make sense in my brain. Speaking of brain... neuro makes me cringe. I know some people love anatomy, I'm just not one of those weirdos. ????

I also echo the part about being amazed with what I've learned in the last two months. I never would've thought myself capable of knowing this much information in such a short amount of time. Loving PA school and hating it at the same time, it's quite the relationship!

2/3 of the way through summer semester after anatomy exam today. Immunology almost killed me. I have moments of disbelief I am even in PA school because I thought for so long I just wasn't smart enough and never thought it would happen. I absolutely love it. I have been above average on (almost) every test so far - NEVER underestimate yourself. Also, don't ever tell students in their first semester "enjoy your time in summer because it is going to get soooo much worse in fall." We get it but we do NOT want to hear that. :)

There are a little over 2 weeks left for my summer classes and I love being a PA student! There is so much info at a fast pace, and I know it will be ramped up from here on, so that's always in the back of my head.  But my academic advisor is wonderful! It's nice to have that kind of support. It seems like we have a great group of folks and collaborative atmosphere for the most part. Let's finish the summer strong!

Loving PA school and hating it at the same time, it's quite the relationship!

I agree with Max. As stressful as school has been, it's an incredible feeling thinking about all the information we've learned in such a short period of time. The fire hose analogy everyone talks about is definitely 100% accurate. With so much material the hardest thing was figuring out a study routine that worked for me; it took about 2 weeks. Hopefully it carries over because we start pharmacology in about a week. 

• 2 weeks later...

Started in May.  Anywhere from 3 (absolute minimum) to 7 or 8 exams every single week.  Brutality is a good word.  We were told in week 1 "PA school is a nightmare.  We are pounding you, relentlessly, with information."  Fortunately that was followed with "We will do everything we can to help each and every one of you succeed.  Trust the system."  So I do... 

Archived