Letter of Recommendation Fallout

I am applying for PA school this cycle and I have 2 out of my 3 letters. My last letter was supposed to be from a professor who had agreed during fall semester to write my letter, however he left the university in the spring without my knowledge and without leaving anyway to get in touch with him. I tried calling his department and they said they would "email him on my behalf" but I haven't heard anything. I made the mistake of not asking any other professors since he had already agreed and I've already graduated and am running out of time to find a replacement. I emailed my advisor and explained the situation and he said he would write me a recommendation but it would be very general since he doesn't know me on a personal level. My other two letters are strong since they're from individuals I worked closely with. So should I take my advisor's letter even though it will be mediocre, or should I just try and explain the situation to admissions? Will the letter do more hurt than harm if its too general? Any input is appreciated!

• Administrator

If your schools require a third letter, an application without a third letter WILL NOT be considered.  If your advisor is your best shot for getting a third one, make sure he or she has an up to date copy of your CV so that the letter can cover those sorts of things.  You can also ask that your advisor mention the letter was originally supposed to come from a professor who left the university.

Thank you for the advice everyone!

I have one letter from a professor I did research with (but didn't have in class) and one from my coordinator at the hospice place I worked at so a letter from someone about my academic performance is the only one I need. So it looks like I will be asking my advisor for a letter, I will be sure to provide him with supplemental materials and the like. Thanks again!

Archived