2015-2016 Applicants

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was rejected at Wayne State in September, I met with admissions to go over why I wasn't accepted and how I could improve my application (this was before I heard back from Western and Toledo so I was terrified and thought I wasn't going to get in anywhere). They said my personal statement was okay, however I was told that in your essay they are not only looking for "why" you want to be a PA, but also they are looking for "what" you are going to do as a PA and how you are going to make a difference and how this makes you stand out compared to the other applicants.

Just wanted to give a heads up as to what I was lacking in my essay. It also doesn't hurt to meet with admissions counselors for specific programs and have them review your essay if you're early enough. I wouldn't stress too much about making sure you submit your app right away when the cycle opens, but rather take the time to maybe meet with someone at UT and see where your application was lacking and then take the time to improve it before applying again. I didn't submit my caspa application until the end of july/beginning of august.

@bthomps: I was also rejected by Wayne state, and I asked them if I can see someone in order to improve my application, instead they told me on email as to what was lacking in my application. Do you think PA programs meet and advise each candidate?

@FK85 It probably depends on the program, but it is always worth a shot to ask! Even an email about what was lacking is better than nothing! I would contact each program and ask who you can speak to regarding your application.... This also will look good for the future because you're showing how dedicated you are to getting in. If anyone has any questions please feel free to message me on here and I would be happy to help.

I can't read this forum anymore...honestly I don't have any idea what they based any of their decisions on this year. And those currently in the program haven't been able to tell me why they were able to get a seat over others. Good luck to everyone reapplying!

that's exactly how I felt after the interview... It was so easy I can't understand how you can screw it up if you put 5min of prep in.

I feel like that necessarily isn't true for everyone. I felt that the staff that I interviewed with at Toledo asked very thorough questions and took the time to really get to know me. I understand that it may have been like that for some people, but every interviewer is going to be different in their approach and it's like that at every program. At other interviews I've attended, I too have felt that some interviewers were rushing and didn't even take the process as serious as the students did :|

Some candidates have received official letters today, so they've been sent to the 45 selected.

They also sent out emails telling everyone how to set up a myUT account. Through the account you are able to pay the deposit online. So, I do know a few of us already paid the deposit before our letters came. Just an update!

They also sent out emails telling everyone how to set up a myUT account. Through the account you are able to pay the deposit online. So, I do know a few of us already paid the deposit before our letters came. Just an update!

I paid mine and haven't received the letter. The email also serves as a welcome letter.

Just wanted to let everyone know I received this email today:

Dear Candidate,

We regret to inform you that you were not selected into The University of Toledo Physician Assistant Program matriculating class for August 2016. All applicants who do not gain initial acceptance are automatically entered onto our wait list. The application process is extremely competitive, we received over 1100 CASPA applications this year. Although we cannot accommodate requests for individual file reviews, a letter will be emailed after June 15th to help candidates broadly to understand what can be done to improve their chances for reapplication to the University of Toledo PA program. However, many applications contained everything that is needed for admission, but with only 45 seats and 240 interviewees, it was a challenge to select the prospective students for the class.

Thank you very much for your interest in The University of Toledo Physician Assistant Program. We wish you the very best as you continue with your academic goals.

Sincerely,

The Physician Assistant Studies Admissions Committee

I thought I would try to give everyone some sort of timeline. In the acceptance letter, we have 14 days to pay our deposit and submit our letter of intent. If we do not, we lose our spot in the program. The letters were sent out May 05. So May 19th is the day to have a final class count. My assumption is that there will be several drops (judging from talking with the other classes) and that phone calls will probably start again to fill remaining seats the week of the 23rd. Keep hope alive!!! Hope this helps!

Thank you so much!!

Did the packet you receive have the program start date? And any other orientation dates this summer that is mandatory to be in town?

The packet does not include any information regarding starting date or orientation. When I got my acceptance call, I was informed that classes begin August 22 but are required to be present for orientation a week prior.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived