VERMONT: College of St. Joseph.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!  I am applying here.  I live in upstate NY and it's not too far away.  It's very exciting that VT finally has its first PA program!  CASPA is currently verifying my application so I probably won't even hear anything for another month.  Did you submit your app already?

• 2 weeks later...

Great, best of luck to you. What other schools are you applying to?

I've applied to 16 schools simply because I'm an older applicant with a MPH and my pre-reqs are aged out as of next year for many schools so I did not want to take a chance my first time applying and I cast a broad net. Applied to 4 in FL, 3 in PA, NY, TN, NC, WI, and OR.

I just got asked to interview on Oct 16.. Any advice?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice would be to prepare as much as you can, from all angles. This can be accomplished by first evaluating yourself, understanding who you are, knowing your strengths and weaknesses but most importantly knowing why you want to be a PA.. This is paramount to your success. Once you've established this, everything else begins to simplify and not seem so overwhelming. Next, begin to review the common questions that you might encounter during the interview. It helps to write your responses to these questions (Bullet points, not word for word), then practice until you feel confident. Something that helped me tremendously is that I would record myself speaking then play it back and critique not only my responses but my delivery and tone.You'll be thankful you did this! Lastly, review the school website so you know every detail of that program. This is critical as they might ask you questions regarding their mission statement, etc. In addition, this will also help you formulate questions to ask them during your interview.

If you're diligent in your preparation, you stay calm during the interview  and give honest responses, you'll do just fine.

Best of luck :)

Let me know if you need any additional help.

• 2 weeks later...

My advice would be to prepare as much as you can, from all angles. This can be accomplished by first evaluating yourself, understanding who you are, knowing your strengths and weaknesses but most importantly knowing why you want to be a PA.. This is paramount to your success. Once you've established this, everything else begins to simplify and not seem so overwhelming. Next, begin to review the common questions that you might encounter during the interview. It helps to write your responses to these questions (Bullet points, not word for word), then practice until you feel confident. Something that helped me tremendously is that I would record myself speaking then play it back and critique not only my responses but my delivery and tone.You'll be thankful you did this! Lastly, review the school website so you know every detail of that program. This is critical as they might ask you questions regarding their mission statement, etc. In addition, this will also help you formulate questions to ask them during your interview.

If you're diligent in your preparation, you stay calm during the interview  and give honest responses, you'll do just fine.

Best of luck :)

Let me know if you need any additional help.

I have a few questions for you regarding their interview.. :)

How many people about were they interviewing the day you went? Was it a group interview or 1 on 1? Were they the warm and liked to converse type, or stone faced and had trick questions?

Thanks!

I have a few questions for you regarding their interview.. :)

How many people about were they interviewing the day you went? Was it a group interview or 1 on 1? Were they the warm and liked to converse type, or stone faced and had trick questions?

Thanks!

The interview process was great! The admissions staff was very cordial and receptive, not stone faced at all. Regarding the interview size and format, there was approximately 16 interviewees and the interview was with two admissions staff. The style was a formal conversation. They asked some challenging and insightful questions but nothing that would catch you off guard if you prepare.  

Do you have an upcoming interview?

The interview process was great! The admissions staff was very cordial and receptive, not stone faced at all. Regarding the interview size and format, there was approximately 16 interviewees and the interview was with two admissions staff. The style was a formal conversation. They asked some challenging and insightful questions but nothing that would catch you off guard if you prepare.  

Do you have an upcoming interview?

ok awesome good to know :) yes I do , on Octobe 16th. I've been preparing, but I am pretty nervous!I've been studying the top 75 or so questions of PA school interviews. I'm most nervous to be asked a question I might not know the answer to, for example something in regards to the current health care laws or the ACA.  I know why I want to be a PA, my flaws,how the profession started,their mission statement and all about the school and the typical questions like that. One thing though is I've been stressing about the "tell me about yourself" questions! You can't say anything too personal about your life but at the same time, you don' want to just give your stats because they already know your resume.

Was it an open or closed file interview? And about how long was the interview?

Thanks for the insightful help :)

ok awesome good to know :) yes I do , on Octobe 16th. I've been preparing, but I am pretty nervous!I've been studying the top 75 or so questions of PA school interviews. I'm most nervous to be asked a question I might not know the answer to, for example something in regards to the current health care laws or the ACA.  I know why I want to be a PA, my flaws,how the profession started,their mission statement and all about the school and the typical questions like that. One thing though is I've been stressing about the "tell me about yourself" questions! You can't say anything too personal about your life but at the same time, you don' want to just give your stats because they already know your resume.

Was it an open or closed file interview? And about how long was the interview?

Thanks for the insightful help :)

I definitely advise reviewing as many questions as you can but most importantly take time to fully understand yourself, what makes you a unique applicant and why they should take you. If you spend time writing this down, reviewing it and practice saying it out loud, you will do just fine. The majority of the questions you will be asked are centered around these ideas, so knowing this will allow you to be prepared for any questions you might not have previous encountered.

In regards to the "tell me about yourself" question, it's important to answer this in a concise and informative manner. People often lose direction with this question, going on a tangent by telling the committee about personal facts and other irrelevant information that isn't applicable to the context of PA interview. Approach this question by keeping it simple and seeing it as an opportunity to highlight your attributes and strengths as an applicant. This can be accomplished in a variety of ways, this is an outline of how I answered mine: 

- Clinical Position (list a few important duties)

-  Characteristics/Values (briefly elaborate)

- Future goals/vision (they like applicants who think BIG)

- End with gratitude and enthusiasm 

If you can answer this in a confident, sincere and organized manner your interviewer/s will be impressed!

I also suggest looking at the additional links provided on their website if you have questions about state regulations and/or facts about the profession.

I'm confident you'll do well, best of luck to you! Keep me posted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived