Ideas on engraving my stethoscope

Hello all,

I am a PA student about to start my clinicians in next couple months. So I was wondering on can I engrave as a student "First Last Name, PA-S" or just "First Last Name" any thoughts? On what people have been engraving? 

Also can we just use the same stethoscope when we actually start practice, if thats the case than I would rather not keep "PA-S" as during practice it will be PA-C lol

Thanks! 

Don't go with PA-S, especially if it's a nice scope. My is engraved "PACdan - PA-A(awesome) Master of the Universe, Lord of Time, Capt. USS Enterprise - Galaxy Class".

Those things aren't changing when I get my "C", so it's all good.

But yeah, just your name will do, helps prevent loss/theft of nice scopes. Then if you get the itch you can add PA-C when you're official.

^the engraving is so small, it's honestly really hard to pick up...I'm using mine now as a medical assistant at a hospital that hosts PA students, and the preceptors that I have worked with have never noticed it....even when they borrowed my stethoscope.  No patient has ever mistaken me for a PA....and if they did, it wasn't from reading the stethoscope. I feel like as long as you have a clear identification badge attached to your scrubs or white coat, it's hard to be misrepresented as a certified physician assistant and it should be okay...

and if anything, I figured if there is a problem with the engraving, I could cover the label with a sticker to be more politically correct :)  

^the engraving is so small, it's honestly really hard to pick up...I'm using mine now as a medical assistant at a hospital that hosts PA students, and the preceptors that I have worked with have never noticed it....even when they borrowed my stethoscope.  No patient has ever mistaken me for a PA....and if they did, it wasn't from reading the stethoscope. I feel like as long as you have a clear identification badge attached to your scrubs or white coat, it's hard to be misrepresented as a certified physician assistant

And it would probably never constitute a legal issue. However, if someone does happen to notice it one day on your rotations, they may think it presumptuous. Like a medical student getting "Joe Blow, MD" engraved for MS1-4.

You can always claim it was a gift from an overzealous, proud parent/relative.

Geez. It really is just a stethoscope. Get whatever color or engraving you want. Mine is bright purple without an engraving of any kind. In two years of practice the only comments I've gotten have been positive. And really... Who cares if someone comments on the color? Just say it was a gift or that you're planning on going into pediatrics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could you just do "PA-" then get the C engraved later? :p

I've also wondered about stethoscope colors... I'm assuming bright rainbow colors like pink or purple are considered unprofessional...

I have a bright blue stethoscope so it's less likely to grow legs and walk away

But to the OP,  engraving PA in the stethoscope seems presumptuous to me.  I start school this fall and also just got a new scope, and simply had my name engraved.  

engraving PA in the stethoscope seems presumptuous to me.

Ditto!

Why take the excitement away from when you pass the PANCE and get to finally put PA-C behind your name. You wouldn't add PA-C to your email signature when in school... Why on your stethoscope?

Just putting the cart before the horse in my opinion. You still have plenty of challenges before you get to call yourself a PA... Not to sound harsh but this is just how it works in the Professional field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think an email signature comparison is bit of a stretch lol....any signature with PA-C after it is more of an identity statement, and leaning towards sticky legal/forgery issues.  

A stethoscope is more of a personal property - the PA-C engraving is not nearly as explicit as a signature, verbal introduction of *insert title here*, identification badge, etc....It may be more politically correct to wait until you pass the PANCE, since there are a lot of hurdles to get past, but I don't think it's a major issue with a stethoscope, compared to an email signature O.O 

To be devil's advocate, if you're spending so much money on your stethoscope and planning to use it for a long time, why not have it after your name and save extra money for the 2x shipping fee and extra engraving fee? 

Eh, do what you want. I don't think it's the best first impression to make on someone evaluating you on personal/professional qualities (like humility), but as has been said you can always lie about the source.

I also think that once you actually are a PA-C you might feel a little more protective of the title, given how much work goes into actually earning it.

If a student of mine had PA-C on his/her stethoscope, I would not care in the least. More concerned if he started walking around acting like a PA-C or deliberately trying to mislead patients. Heck, I probably wouldn't even know. I don't make a habit of inspecting steths.

If a student of mine had PA-C on his/her stethoscope, I would not care in the least. More concerned if he started walking around acting like a PA-C or deliberately trying to mislead patients. Heck, I probably wouldn't even know. I don't make a habit of inspecting steths.

That reminds me of a story I read FLA teen Accused of Impersonating a Physician Assistant 

Florida-caught

Archived