Masters required

1 hour ago, Cideous said:

I would NEVER go to anything less then a masters program nowadays.  Never.  I went so long ago that I had to get a BS at the time, but years ago I saw the handwriting on the wall, so I went back to the University of Nebraska and got my bridge MPAS.  I can't imagine trying to find a job right now as a new grad with only a bachelors.  No way.

Likely region dependent. I graduated with my BS in 2015, remain heavily recruited, no issues finding positions. In the PNW.

17 hours ago, MediMike said:

Likely region dependent. I graduated with my BS in 2015, remain heavily recruited, no issues finding positions. In the PNW.

I'm sure like all things in this profession it is weighted by region, but as our "overall" national region shrinks due to competition with NP's, my recommendation stands for new applicants to PA school.  Do a masters, or don't do it.  You never know when you might want, or need to move to a different region and you will be at a severe disadvantage with a BS or certificate especially as a new grad.

Lastly, understand my recommendations having nothing to do with competency.  However, that is irrelevant in this brave new world of corporate medicine where admins set the hiring policies/requirements and virtually every job posted either requires a masters or is masters preferred.  That will only accelerate as NP's crush us in state law successes.  

The program I graduated from in 1997 was a bachelor's level. Along the way I considered getting a Master's but cost was an issue, and as a locums PA I did not have a consistent SP for the programs applying clinical time. At this point will be transitioning into retirement and the cost may outweigh the benefits. However, here in my area of North Carolina ads from large organizations specify Masters degrees and you won't even hear back from them if you apply, even with a lot of experience. They will hire the new grad with a Master's rather than an experienced provider without.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, weezianna said:

However, here in my area of North Carolina ads from large organizations specify Masters degrees and you won't even hear back from them if you apply, even with a lot of experience. They will hire the new grad with a Master's rather than an experienced provider without.  

^^^ Exactly my point.  I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

11 hours ago, Cideous said:

I'm sure like all things in this profession it is weighted by region, but as our "overall" national region shrinks due to competition with NP's, my recommendation stands for new applicants to PA school.  Do a masters, or don't do it.  You never know when you might want, or need to move to a different region and you will be at a severe disadvantage with a BS or certificate especially as a new grad.

Lastly, understand my recommendations having nothing to do with competency.  However, that is irrelevant in this brave new world of corporate medicine where admins set the hiring policies/requirements and virtually every job posted either requires a masters or is masters preferred.  That will only accelerate as NP's crush us in state law successes.  

Yeah I totally agree. Just sticking up for us few BS'ers left and was feeling slightly argumentative, sorry about that.

I can definitely tell you that when I do pursue a master's though there's no way I'll be getting in in "PA Studies" or whatever the going degree designation is 

• Upvote 1