All these Exam Q Banks...Which one?!

I have heard so many Pros and Cons of each, and with graduation fast approaching in 100+ days and the PANCE coming up a week or two after I am curious as to what Q banks compare most to PANCE?

EXAMMASTER

I have used ExamMaster for all of our EOR exams, but hear from 99% of people that these Qs are far more detailed/intense than the PANCE. Some Questions are easy but there are quite a few that are multiple paragraphs and I am left staring at the screen.

PANCEMASTER

I was told by some preceptors that this is all they used and passed the PANCE. I purchased it and have answered roughly half of the 1300 Qs they offer and it is FAR easier than ExamMaster, lots of simple 1-2 sentence questions and I feel like it might be "too easy". any opinions?

KAPLAN QBANK

Heard mixed things on this as well, is it worth purchasing?

PACKRATS

I have quite a few old ones so use these to study as well, this is kind of the mid ground I feel.

NCCPA Practice Exams

Worth it??

Thanks in advance for all the replies. I feel comfortable for the PANCE but just want to make sure I pick the best study tools for active (Questions) learning portion.

Ive had the same experience with exammaster. However, I prefer that the questions are too hard vs too easy. I don't let the ridiculous questions get to me. At the end of the day, they too are good for finding the weak spots in my memory and will be the cornerstone of my studies as I get closer to the PANCE (only one EOR and a few months left!).

Another Q bank I like is Rosh Review. Hippo PA is good for subject review, but the questions are a bit too simple for my taste. Then I again, I like exammaster, so YMMV. 

Several months ago, recent PANCE passer swore by Kaplan. Said nothing compared.

Old packrats are just that, old. Is the information that they are based upon still valid?

NCCPA practice are retired PANCE questions. I would be concerned about basing how well prepared upon retired questions. There has to be a reason those are retired.

Rosh Review looked pretty cool when I demoed it. But it also struck me as a subset of USMLE questions.

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

I just took the PANCE two days ago.

I used KapTest and PAeasy for qbanks, and I have to say that I think KapTest is definitely the superior choice.  Detailed explanations for every right and wrong answer are invaluable, and you can learn so many things just from one question.

The only thing I would say about KapTest is that the vast majority are case questions, and there is a LOT of background information given in each case.  I'm not saying anything specific about how that compares to the PANCE, but read between the lines.

Oh also, NCCPA practice exams are well worth the cost if you're not completely broke.  Highly recommend, not because they're great tools, but because the format and question types are highly representative of the PANCE (being that their former exam questions).

As far as great book resources, I fell in love with First Aid for the USMLE Step 1.  Even though there's a lot in it you can ignore (pathology, really rare diseases, etc) the amount of condensed information and mnemonics is the best I've seen anywhere for this broad of subject material.

• 7 months later...

I can't speak much as to the effectiveness of each of these q banks, however I would expect the NCCPA exams to most accurately reflect what you're likely to see--- But at a cost of $35 each.

We have just developed a set of practice exams and are currently giving them away-- just head over to http://www.physicianassistantstudyguide.com and fill out the form. We would appreciate feedback from anyone who takes them, we are exploring the idea of creating a PANCE review course and we want to perfect every part of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived